GSXS 1000 Forum banner

New from Toronto, help decide Year and Colour

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  cayman 
#1 ·
Hello, I am almost 99% certain I will be getting the GSX-S1000F, but need some help in deciding colour and whether I should go with 2016 or 2018 model. This forum has been great assistance in helping me come to a final decision. I am not a naked bike fan so the availability of the F model is key for me in choosing the Suzuki - call me old fashion but I like fairing!. I was very close to buying the 2015 VFR800 last year but the clip on bars was a difficult one to get over. Currently riding Suzuki '09 SV650SA - fairing model - love the bike but looking to go for something more comfortable now that I reached 50. I did test ride the BMW 1000R and it was a nice bike (heated grips and cruise control are nice) and can definitely afford the extra cost of the BMW but prefer the look of the Suzuki more (always owned Japanese cars and bikes and never been a BMW fan!)

Have not had a chance to test ride the Suzuki yet as very few dealers in Toronto, Canada seem to even stock the bike - either naked or fairing. Looking to do a Suzuki test ride perhaps this coming Friday in Waterloo.

So my two questions are:
1) If I can get a NEW 2016 model for about $3k (Quebec dealers seems to have a lot of 2016 F model still available) less than the 2018 model, seems to me given there is little to no change in the model years and the price difference do you guys recommend going for 2016 model year - for me the $3k is not a deal breaker but money is money and I can put it toward some mods like heated grips and coloured wheels.
2) Colour Choice - I am leaning towards the Matte Grey colour, while generally I am not a huge fan of matte colours it does seem to look nice in videos so would like to hear from others who either own the Grey colour or have seen it and hear how they are liking it vs. the other colours - any regrets etc.

Thanks again in advance for your help - great forum and looking toward being a proud owner soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Boy, that's a rough decision. I have the 2016 Triton Blue F and absolutely love it !!
If the Canadian 2018 is the same as the Euro spec, which I think it is (more horsepower and slipper clutch), I'd might spring for the extra 3K if money were of little concern to me. Then again, the hp difference is probably not going to be noticeable, because you'll be hanging on for dear life either way, and with the 2016 you'll also have 3K in your pocket. If you like to mod, 3K will buy you the extra HP then some.
I know I haven't been much help, but I will say that either way you can't go wrong.
:)

#3 ·
I say keep the 3k and buy the 16 as the bump in power will be negligible. I am coming from a much more powerful bike and my 16F can hang with it probably up to about 120mph. The matte grey is a very uncommon color in a very good way, you will stand out for sure. As Mike D stated 3k can get you well on your way to some great cosmetic as well as power gain mods. If you can, test ride to make sure the 16 is not as snatchy as others are, mine didn't have that issue. Either way you are getting one bad ass machine!!

#4 ·
Go with your gut. In my option (which doesn't really count ) the matt grey color looks great but is harder to clean. The differance in power is very minimal and is less than advertised . The slipper clutch is nice but the bike shifts so nice its not necessary, especially considering how easy it is to install a quick shifter. If you're the kind of guy who changes bikes every couple of years go with the 18. The resale will be higher because it's 2 years newer. I personally went with a blue 16 F model and love it. For me it was a easy choice between the red/black vs the blue. Traditionally blue represents Suzuki. I like the matt grey too, It'd be a difficult choice. Good luck!

#5 ·
Just picked up a 2016 'Crate' matte gray 'F' model for 10900.00 plus taxes. Keep the 3 grand ! It is the favorite bike in the stable now :)

Just installed a Bazzaz F4I and off for custom mapping soon. You will not be disappointed with this bike; it is a very good value, especially the 2016's.

#6 · (Edited)
Just my opinion, but there is nothing worth $3k (or even 2k or 1k) on the newer model, although resale is a consideration as others have mentioned. I had a grey one now I have blue. I like both. If I had to buy it over again I would in blue (or any of the colors since they are all good.).

Just think of all the tires, brake pads, oil and gear you can get for $3k.

#7 ·
Hi Cayman,

I was in the same boat you were 3 weeks ago. I am 52 and also 5'7".I live in Quebec City so I to had the option for the 2016. I have been reading all the GSX forums but frankly this one has the most relevant information an friendly peoples... I pull the trigger on a 2018 for 2 reasons: 1. all the throttle snatching and ECU bugs have been iron on. (not saying that there is still problem with the 2016 but there is a tread with over 26 pages on this forum). 2. slipper clutch and 10 more hp is nice but not a deal breaker. My only complain with the 2018 is that there is no matt gray which is superb...

I was sold on the test ride. was planning on getting an FZ-09 but the test ride steer me in the GSX way... I got the red. I love it.
I installed a top case and will be installing the heated grip and gel pad insert this week.

my 2 cents.

#8 ·
Thanks Bruno and everyone else for your wise comments, if I get a 2016 it will have to be from Quebec since there are almost none left in Ontario. I am now also going to be looking seriously at the 2017 Aprilia Tuono - will go and test ride one tomorrow hoping to make a decision ASAP between the Tuono and the GSX-S1000F, biggest issue is it is hard to find any dealers in Ontario that even have the Suzuki in he showroom let alone get a chance to test ride one. If I get the Suzuki I think I will go for the 2016 as the Grey is growing on me and it is not available in Canada for 2018.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.