1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Top Speed in 5th

I keep reading that the GSX-S1000 has a Top Speed of about 156 MPH, but that is wrong.

I can do 156 MPH in 5th gear with the stock gearing/sprockets.

I made a short video of a 3rd gear WOT to about my 5th RPM Shift point. I let off the throttle at about my shift RPM in 5th gear.

I just want to show that the Top Speed is faster than 156 MPH.

GSX-S1000 ABS 2016 Red\Black

Yoshimura fender delete / Suzuki Front Fairing / Dynojet PowerCommander V / Dynojet Ignition Module / Dynojet Shifter / Dynojet AutoTune / POD-300, Nitrous 40HP Dry shot.

Custom built: Stepped header exhaust / modified Akrapovic titanium-carbon fiber muffler / Suzuki instrument cluster RED backlight / Dynojet POD-300 RED backlight / Headlight halo RED / NOS linear indicator / progressive tach shift light / handlebar switch box for NOS & Halo.

Dallas, Texas
post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
You didnt go faster than 156 ? to prove it isnt limited, go out again and do another... mine hesistated between 155 and 156 in 6th, fitted the smart TRE last week, had it to 160 so far with more to come in 6th.

Yam FS1E
Hon CB100
Hon CB200
Suz X7
Suz GS550E
Suz GSX750
Yam 350YPVS
Hon VFR750
Yam RD350(air)
Kaw GT550
Kaw ZZR600
Yam FZ1S
Suz Burgman 650
Hon VFR1200 DCT (Don Guhl ecu flash)
Suz GSXS1000-F-Touring
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I have been to 160 on the speedo stock gearing. Not sure what the actual speed was. I will record it next time and use a gps.
mike d likes this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue
2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT Edition ABS- Black/Green

post #4 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1KSU View Post
You didnt go faster than 156 ? to prove it isnt limited, go out again and do another... mine hesistated between 155 and 156 in 6th, fitted the smart TRE last week, had it to 160 so far with more to come in 6th.
Can you not read? In my post, I said the top speed is faster than 156, because I can do that in 5th gear. The video is proving that 156 is not the max MPH, when considering shifting into 6th gear after being in 5th at that MPH. The motorcycle will go faster than 165+ in 6th gear.

Other people have gone faster than 156 MPH.

Again, I was trying to stop the false statements and rumors that the Top Speed only 156, and help build up the GSXS's reputation. You're no help.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I have been to 160 on the speedo stock gearing. Not sure what the actual speed was. I will record it next time and use a gps.
Thanks for the reply, TheDude. It's nice to read another good rider than can vouch for the GSXS.

I'll post up a faster video too.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-S1K View Post
Can you not read? In my post, I said the top speed is faster than 156, because I can do that in 5th gear. The video is proving that 156 is not the max MPH, when considering shifting into 6th gear after being in 5th at that MPH. The motorcycle will go faster than 165+ in 6th gear.

Other people have gone faster than 156 MPH.

Again, I was trying to stop the false statements and rumors that the Top Speed only 156, and help build up the GSXS's reputation. You're no help.

The gearing in 5th is 34/25 and 6th is 33/26, only a 7% difference which would mean a potential top speed of 167 mph HOWEVER 6th gear is limited to 10,750 RPM by closing the Secondary Throttles.

10,750RPM in 6th gear is 156 MPH

However this is easily defeated with a reflash or a TRE
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Speed is restricted in 6th gear and the speedometers are notoriously miss calibrated. After break in and changinging my rear tire to a q3 i did several back to back top speed runs and saw an indicated speed of 164 mph. I was happy, I thought maybe the profile of the new rear tire gave me a few extra mph because its restricted by rpm in 6th. Turns out after repeating some top gear high speed runs my speedometer was off by11mph. Mine hits the chip in 6th @153 every time. I've reached the same speed in 5th. I'm going the route of reflashing the ecu to raise the rev limiter by 500 rpm, remove the top speed restriction, disable the pair valve, disable the exhaust valve, eliminate the timing retard, eliminate the fuel cut, make the secondary throttle blades open mare aggressively and stay open. I know a lot of people swear by the Tre and other devices but in my opinion I can get more out of a proper reflash.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxoutjoe View Post
Speed is restricted in 6th gear and the speedometers are notoriously miss calibrated. After break in and changing my rear tire to a q3 i did several back to back top speed runs and saw an indicated speed of 164 mph. I was happy, I thought maybe the profile of the new rear tire gave me a few extra mph because its restricted by rpm in 6th. Turns out after repeating some top gear high speed runs my speedometer was off by 11mph. Mine hits the chip in 6th @153 every time. I've reached the same speed in 5th. I'm going the route of re-flashing the ecu to raise the rev limiter by 500 rpm, remove the top speed restriction, disable the pair valve, disable the exhaust valve, eliminate the timing retard, eliminate the fuel cut, make the secondary throttle blades open mare aggressively and stay open. I know a lot of people swear by the Tre and other devices but in my opinion I can get more out of a proper re-flash.
My motorcycle only hits the limit in 6th gear. Not sure why, but only in 6th gear.

I only have a Dynojet PCV setup (see signature), so I cannot turn off the secondary butterflies. But for right now...164 MPH is fast enough for me.

I would agree with you about getting more out of a proper re-flash. Especially in comparison to this Dynojet setup I purchased, the re-flash would be a superior choice.

I did find a video of me letting off the throttle at 164MPH in 6th. This video shows the Top Speed of the GSX-S1000 is not 156 MPH and is 164 MPH for my motorcycle.

GSX-S1000 ABS 2016 Red\Black

Yoshimura fender delete / Suzuki Front Fairing / Dynojet PowerCommander V / Dynojet Ignition Module / Dynojet Shifter / Dynojet AutoTune / POD-300, Nitrous 40HP Dry shot.

Custom built: Stepped header exhaust / modified Akrapovic titanium-carbon fiber muffler / Suzuki instrument cluster RED backlight / Dynojet POD-300 RED backlight / Headlight halo RED / NOS linear indicator / progressive tach shift light / handlebar switch box for NOS & Halo.

Dallas, Texas
post #9 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That's great that you can reach that speed but I'm curious to know is it indicated by the speedometer or verified by a GPS ? If it's by the speedometer only then I have to question its accuracy . BTW I also use a Power Commander 5 and It made a big improvement. I will still be using it once I get the ecu flashed in conjunction with either a dyno tune or with the auto tune...
post #10 of 11 Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
That blue car in front of you was really hauling a$$, too.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page