post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Living With A Suzuki GSX-S1000 For 6 Days

Enthusiast Rishaad Mody had a chance to ride the Suzuki GSX-S1000 for 6 days through India on both bumpy roads and on track and he’s written a review covering everything from its amazing 1st gear speeds to his rubber brake hose scare.

A few of you may have already gone touring with your GSX-S1000 so you may have come to the same conclusions as Mody.
The liter bike has ample space on its flat rear seat for most soft bags and the pillion foot pegs can be used as strap anchors. He managed to strap on a fully stuffed Dirtsack Gypsy to the back and even though it’s filled with 6 days’ worth of clothing and a full race suit, there’s still enough room on the seat for him not to feel overly cramped! Though you may want to avoid the slow going city streets since the engine radiates a lot of heat.

Also tested during his 6 day riding stint are the speeds that you can achieve on first gear. Yes, what you’re looking at is indeed Mody going 120km/h at 11,000rpm and this is in first gear.

As for how the GSX-S1000 performs on track, there’s plenty of power for you to throw around but he did point out a few flaws. Tank grips may be necessary as he had a hard time hanging on during hard acceleration and the first gear acceleration is just brutal.

What’s worth a mention are the rubber brake hoses that failed to perform when he tried to brake hard at around 240kmph. The lever went limp and he was forced to stop while using both the rear brake and gears. A very dangerous failure especially when one is moving at high speeds.

Overall, an informative and entertaining read if you have the time.

Living With A Superbike: Suzuki GSX-S1000 - Overdrive
post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
"What’s worth a mention are the rubber brake hoses that failed to perform when he tried to brake hard at around 240kmph. The lever went limp and he was forced to stop while using both the rear brake and gears. A very dangerous failure especially when one is moving at high speeds."

WE are in 2016 not in the 80`anymore
nowadays "rubber" brake lines are for first 2-3 years of life quite like braided stainless steel unit

http://suzukigsx-s1000.forumfree.it/

my garage:cbr1000rr 04/cbr1000rr sp 14/ cbr1000rr sp2 17/cb1000r 15/vfr1200f 2011/cre500SM /S1000r 15/S1000rr 15/gsx-s1000 16 /yamaha mt10 16/yamaha mt10 SP 17/aprilia tuono 1100 factory16/gsxr 1000 k2-k5 /Zero SR /Few (12) gsx-r oil cooled

post #3 of 10 Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Nice little write up.
I always enjoy to hear what others have been doing with their Gixxers

Pull my finger

post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2016, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxs1000admin View Post

What’s worth a mention are the rubber brake hoses that failed to perform when he tried to brake hard at around 240kmph. The lever went limp and he was forced to stop while using both the rear brake and gears. A very dangerous failure especially when one is moving at high speeds.

Overall, an informative and entertaining read if you have the time.

Living With A Superbike: Suzuki GSX-S1000 - Overdrive
Very strange , but i must admit the very short straight at the local track and my lack of skill haven't allowed me to brake hard from 240 k's however i do back to back 15 minute sessions as an on track marshall and am using the brakes hard for that time . Usually approaching my brake point on the longest straight some were between 200 and 215 kph depending on the speed my groups are riding at.Braking very hard to get speed down for a very tight turn . I cover between 250 and 340k's in a day out there depending on weather and or crashes and I HAVE NEVER EVER , had brake fade or any issues with brakes whatsoever . Rubber brake lines can be an issue when brake fluid gets very hot , but this is not an issue for sports riders of this bike . If you plan to go racing fit braided lines for sure. So am puzzled that the reviewer had any problems. Maybe he is an ex racer and was getting to a limit i am yet to find.
bailsman54 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 AM

Maybe he knocked his brake pads back or maybe it was oil from his leaky fork seal. I don't hold much credence to that bit of his report either.

Pull my finger
post #6 of 10 Old 10-01-2016, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
There is a post in another thread about a recall for leaking Brembo calipers. I wonder if it's related to the failed brakes mentioned above. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with using rubber brake lines, and think it's more likely related to fluid boiling if not the recall.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-04-2016, 06:36 AM

Location: Salerno (Italy) very close to the Amazing Amalfitan Coast "AAC"
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well done article. I like the very the much the equilibrium between text and pictures

Aprilia Red rose 50
Honda VF 400
Honda VFR 750 F
Honda CBR 929 Fireblade
Ducati 999
Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
Aprilia RSV 1000 R
Honda Transalp 650
Hypermotard 1100
Honda VTR 1000 SP2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Honda CB 1000 R del 2010
Yamaha MT 09 Tracer
Suzuki GSX S 1000
post #8 of 10 Old 11-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune8 View Post
Very strange , but i must admit the very short straight at the local track and my lack of skill haven't allowed me to brake hard from 240 k's however i do back to back 15 minute sessions as an on track marshall and am using the brakes hard for that time . Usually approaching my brake point on the longest straight some were between 200 and 215 kph depending on the speed my groups are riding at.Braking very hard to get speed down for a very tight turn . I cover between 250 and 340k's in a day out there depending on weather and or crashes and I HAVE NEVER EVER , had brake fade or any issues with brakes whatsoever . Rubber brake lines can be an issue when brake fluid gets very hot , but this is not an issue for sports riders of this bike . If you plan to go racing fit braided lines for sure. So am puzzled that the reviewer had any problems. Maybe he is an ex racer and was getting to a limit i am yet to find.
"These are fine on the street but a big no-no on the race track! Starting my 5th lap"

They failed on the race track, not the street.

Previous
=========
1974 Vespa 150
1997 Ducati 900 CR
2010 Sportster Iron 883
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
post #9 of 10 Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Maybe he knocked his brake pads back or maybe it was oil from his leaky fork seal. I don't hold much credence to that bit of his report either.
even factory bikes are known to have air in the brake system...
post #10 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 04:11 PM

True
but normally with air in the system the brakes are spongy all the time.
As we don't have all the facts I guess we will never know and all will be conjecture

Pull my finger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page