LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-14-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1000 F Suspension Settings Video

Found this vid on Y-Tube today.
The Journo sounds like a knB but the mechanic has his own company race prepping bikes so he really knows his stuff.
I've not tried the settings yet (raining again outside)
But I'm going to use them as a base setting as soon I get the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULLPza5jif8
Martin likes this.

Pull my finger
post #2 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Yeah, I can understand why he's normally behind the lens. Interesting to see how an expert gauges the 'right' settings. I was curious to see how he measured sag, without the rider on how can he be sure it's right for anyone's given weight? For my personal preferences I went slower/harder on rebound but faster/softer on the compression. Local roads are not overly smooth so the ability to soak up bumps is a priority. On a track my settings would be way too soft.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Yep James knows his stuff ..He's the Suzuki SV1000/650 guru in racing and road bikes..

post #4 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Jaked, thats what you would do, and its about all you could do, if you were setting that bike up for any and all riders.

You could set preload more specific if you knew the weight of the rider. Being he was setting this up for a group, its a good baseline.

I also recommend really using your adjusters. Instead of one click, give it five to prove your on the right track..Its way too easy to give it one click today..one tomorrow..one next week..one next month...and drift away from what you were trying to accomplish in the first place. Dont worry. On a stock system, you are not allowed enough adjustment range to do much.

Like sighting in a gun. You wont notice one click. You will notice five. Then determine better/worse.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So I've had my first play with these settings.
Frontend
The journo is a bit skinnier than me but the sag was good with a nice neutral feel when turning left to right so I've left it at three rings and 1 mm showing. (Same as my original factory setting funnily enough)
First impressions were good. A lot firmer and the bike tracked really well. Very precise when going into a bend. No pushing back or running wide coming out.
As soon as the roads were a little bumpy it was too harsh though.
Compression was too firm. It would be great for a smooth roads and tearing about or a track day. I've change the compression to 6 clicks out from fully in.
Rebound was good. I've left it at 5 clicks out. Now I'll ride it for a bit and see what I think.
Rear.
Much harder and your backside stays in the seat.
Originally I was just under one full turn out and was occasionally getting kicked out the seat on bigger bumps. The 1/2 turn out works really well when driving aggressively, no squatting coming out of corners but makes the ride a little harsh if you are just out for a bimble or cruising to work. I'm going to try somewhere in between the two and see what I find.
Having only a preload collar and one setting to change does make the rear very easy to set up but it does show its limitations rather quickly.

From what I've gathered today. I would say moving any adjustment 5 clicks to see what the effect is, is too much. Just go two at a time and you should be able to tell.

Pull my finger
post #6 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
setting 2 is too soft for british road use as forks dive too much when hitting potholes. H ave been meesing with settings for the six months I have had the bike and considering the condition of our roads have found 3.5 to afford a stable ride. I weigh 94kg
post #7 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
is that compression or rebound Titters?

Pull my finger
post #8 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
pre-load
post #9 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
So tell me about clicks. If I turn my adjusters in to full stiff they either land on a click or go an 1/8th turn past never hitting another click. Is the full stiff landed on click zero or one? If I am an 1/8th turn past a click at full stiff, when going back towards soft, is the first click one or zero. I went with zero resulting in 8 clicks past the first detent/click. Opinions?
post #10 of 30 Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
The settings in the video are almost identical to what was posted in the article at 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 ABS: First Thoughts On Our Test Bike « MotorcycleDaily.com ? Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

It seems like those in the know are somewhere around the same place. The article also suggests 3/4 turn on the rear rebound, as Beaker had mentioned in an earlier post.

I'm finally picking my bike up this afternoon, and will be applying these settings as soon as I get it home, and then tweak from there as necessary. I'm about 5 Kg lighter than the author of the article and don't do track days, so I may back preload off a little.
killerbie likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page