35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 06-29-2016, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nitron

I am about to pull the trigger and order a Nitron shock but I can't decide between the Ntr1 and the Ntr2. Trying to find a home that doesn't look out of place for the reservoir is what concerns me about the Ntr2.

Anyone had experience or got either fitted to their bikes?
post #2 of 60 Old 06-29-2016, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I want to get the R1 but having difficulty to have it ship to my country. By the way, pix of the reservoir.
GixxerKev, Jaked and wolverine495 like this.
post #3 of 60 Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
How do you rate it Vnuh?
Have you had chance to give it a good shake down yet?
From the picture it looks like you have the reservoir on one side and the hydraulic preloader on the other. Is that correct or is it just the angle of the photo?

Pull my finger

post #4 of 60 Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well I have just ordered a nitron NTR1 to give a try, anything has to be better than getting thrown out of the seat on a mildly bumpy road!
post #5 of 60 Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
The shock you bought will not allow you to adjust compresson and rebound separately.

That sounds awful, but in reality will end up being no big deal. When suzuki puts a shock on this bike, it might cost them 50.00. You can look on that AliBaba import site to get an idea of how cheap someone can buy 100 shocks, then consider Suzuki bought 1000's of them.

Of course, the cheap shock will come with a spring and damping rates selected by the legal department. The shock has to work on a 150lb rider, or the 300lb rider and his 350lb girlfriend.

When you bought this Nitron, it is set up for your weight and probably a glance at your riding ability.

What it means is that this expensive shock will be very close to ideal, right out of the box, so you will not be needing to make any big changes to it.

I own a Penske shock for my bike. It has 28 compression and 30 rebound (or whatever it has).

I've played with the adjustments a lot, but its so close to stock settings, now, that if I had no adjustments, that would be fine. If I'm two clicks away from when the shock showed up, I'd be surprised.

I'd give it a thousand miles before adjusting. The internal pieces have a tight tolerance and do need a break in. If you adjust early, you just chase your tail (uh, I know this guy....)

I'll say it like this. You probably saved several hundred dollars and ended up with 97% of what the more expensive shock offers.

I halfway wish Id done the same. The reservoir is a pita when the bike is not equipped with one.
dekker, GixxerKev and vnuh like this.
post #6 of 60 Old 07-01-2016, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerKev View Post
I am about to pull the trigger and order a Nitron shock but I can't decide between the Ntr1 and the Ntr2. Trying to find a home that doesn't look out of place for the reservoir is what concerns me about the Ntr2.

Anyone had experience or got either fitted to their bikes?
I have the Ntr 3 on mine. Love it!!!
The reservoir fits under the pillion seat if you don'y like the look of it under the guard.
I changed my order with no problems from Ntr 2 to the Ntr 3. The folk at Nitron are very helpful!
post #7 of 60 Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I have the Ntr 3 on mine. Love it!!!
The reservoir fits under the pillion seat if you don'y like the look of it under the guard.
I changed my order with no problems from Ntr 2 to the Ntr 3. The folk at Nitron are very helpful!
Wouldn't go for the reservoir under the seat, need somewhere to store my puncture kit!

I am hoping the ntr1 will give me enough of an improvement without too many settings to mess up.
post #8 of 60 Old 07-01-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Kev, your only problem now is saving for a fork kit.

Once you get a shock, you just about have to. Stock suspension has such a dead, disconnected feel to it, and its almost untunable.

Yamahas r6 was a good example. One of the magazines did a test on its fork. Keep in mind, at the time, this was the most serious race machines Japan has ever produced.

They ran the fork in a dyno. The difference between full soft on the adjustments vs full stiff was less than 6%. Again, the legal department has to make sure we dont do anything to the fork, or shock, to create an unsafe machine.
post #9 of 60 Old 07-18-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well getting the ntr1 was definitely the best upgrade I have done to this bike and the only alteration I have done to the settings it was sent from nitron was to drop the damping one click and now it feels perfect.
Very happy with the setup as it is now!
Beaky and JohnnyB like this.
post #10 of 60 Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Had a Nitron on my Street Triple and it was simply outstanding. It came ready set up for me and it was nigh on perfect from the start. Just let it settle for 1000 km or thereabouts and then added half a turn of preload. Fantastic value for money.

Like rccannon, I had a Penske unit for my Blackbird. It was an amazing unit and superbly engineered but the range of adjustments was frankly overkill for the road. Nitron is fantastic value for money. As an aside, Nitron have also supplied the suspension for the UK Bloodhound supersonic rocket car so I'd imagine their R&D people know what they're doing

Edit: if I go for a shock upgrade, it will be a Nitron too but after 12,000 km, I don't think I'll be keeping the bike long term - perhaps a year at most.

Ageing disgracefully since 1947

Motorcycle blog: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 07-18-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page