GSXS 1000 Forum banner

GSXS1F vs N1K

12K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Doddy666 
#1 ·
After lurking for two weeks, I have decided to register and ask my question here and hopefully I get a solid and relatively unbiased responses.

I am 39, been riding for 5 years, have owned a Ninja 250, and a 2014 ZX6R. As I get older, I am realizing that while the 600s and 1000s supersport look really nice, my wrists and back don't care for them as much and there's not much aftermarket in terms of bags and that's why I have narrowed down my next bike to be either an GSXS1F or a Ninja 1000. I have looked around, seen the reviews of both bikes as well as comparisons but would like some real world input.

Again, this will be my third bike and I am looking for a bike that will serve mostly as a commuter and occasional canyon carver. Over the past 3 years with the 2014 ZX6R, I've put on 15,500 miles or roughly 5K miles per year and approximately 14K was commuting. I also ride every chance I get, close or far, even if I run to the store to get an occasional item or two. I have a tank bag but would like a tail bag, hard case if possible and I see there are options for both the GSXS1F and the N1K. I have found two bikes and this is where the input comes in:

Bike 1: Brand New Left Over 2016 GSXS1F in the red and black, OTD for $8300. I do don't necessarily care for the red and black but I don't dislike it either.

Bike 2: 2014 N1K with 1200 miles in blue (which is my preferred color), owned by 63 year old who realizes the bike is sitting more than he is riding, comes with factory hard saddle bags for $7,300. He purchased it in June of 2015 so realistically, he's had it for 2 years and 1 month.

With the GSXS1F, it's brand new which is always nice but I will have to get hard saddle bags or a hard tail case which will run at least $400 which brings it to about $8700 roughly. The N1K is two years older BUT it only has 1200 miles, guy has paperwork for the 600 mile service and just had the oil changed in February.

Relatively speaking, for my purposes, which bike would be the better bike? Just looking for opinions here.

See less See more
#2 ·
well i haven't ridden the z1000 so i cant comment on that bike , but i have the f in black and red and love it, i came off a zx14 as you call them or zzr14 to us, and the f is sooooo much more comfy for me as i am getting older lol, performance the f is better than the z1000 in every review i have read they say the throttle on the zuk is snatchy but i dont think it is to bad , i took a mt10 last week and that was worse i put a tail bag on and do some big miles , if you do get the f you wont be disappointed

#3 ·
I bought the gsx, it's been 366 days since I bought it and I've only ridden it 623miles because it's crap to ride, I just use my far superior 2000 cbr600f.
Do I wish I'd have bought the z1000 instead? Hard to say Tbh, I think I should have gone with the s1000r, aprilia, mt10 or superduke, yes they cost more but you get what you pay for imo.
If the throttle, paint and suspension were better maybe I'd have a different perspective but then it would cost similar to the s1000r and I defiantly wouldn't pick it over that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Gsx-s1000f is narrower, lighter and nimbler. It feels more aggressive. Ninja 1000 is more refined and has integrated luggage. Ergonomically Suzuki fitted me better and the weight difference seal the deal for me towards the gsx. It seems that luggage is a big factor for you, ninja 1k is better in that department. Both bike are very good and accomplish similar purpose little differently.

My friend just had the same dilemma and got the ninja 1k. But has a little regret now. He realized that he doesn't need the integrated luggage and the tail bag is enough. He feels that my bike is more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Hi l had a z1000sx with panniers then a mt09 both BIKES are good and the z was brilliant for touring, But I changed to the Gsxs1000f it's like horses for courses, the throttle problem has been sorted with a replacement ECU ,and the bike is for much better than both Z1 OR MT09TRACER for daily blasts if i was thinking of touring only, then the versys would be on my list , the big Z suffers from a strange front end feel as it wants to tuck in, the seat is 50 miles only comfort and the engine vibration at 60 to 80 mph is so intusive that fingers number and mirrors blur , I had a few mates 4 in all we had the same bike and all had the same issues, , I also dropped I'd once at low speed and it did not take it well engine cases ,exhaust swing arm foot pegs, bar end,mirrors all damaged and I had fitted crash post fitted , I am not saying the Gsxs1000f is a better bike but as a all-rounder I would take the Gsx over the big Z and sort out the panniers with throw overs , my average milage around 15000 miles per year
If possible take a test ride over 2 hrs and include all types of road surface etc before you decide as it's a lot of expenses if you don't like the bike does it do what you want from it !
Good luck on your choice

Reactions: BanditBrent
#6 ·
I got the Gsx-F red and black. The blue looks better in pictures but in person I loved the red. Im not sure about the Z1000 but our gsx has 3 levels of traction control 4 if you include off. Its saved my ass so far 2 times on some gravel in the roads. Also im pretty sure the gsx has a better powerband imo and has 20 or so more ponies, better seating and weighs a less

#7 ·
Ninja 1000 seems more suited for touring. But it is heavier, makes less power and no traction control (if i remember). BTW i have zero issues with my 2016 GSX-S 1000 Naked. And I have owned a lot of motorcycle to compare with. It is a fantastic bike for the street. I personally like the ninja 1000 looks better than the gsx-s1000f. But if you can get a brand new GSX-S1000F OTD for $8300 that is a steal and you should jump on that, asap. The bike has a MSRP over $10,000. I paid $9300 otd for my naked. If you did not like the bike you could turn around and sell it for what you bought it for.

Now if you said you were gonna get the 2017 Ninja 1000 or a GSX-SF1000, I would say get the new ninja. It has a bosch internal IMU like my '16 ZX10R and all the new era super bikes.

#12 · (Edited)
I think you have most of the pros and cons of both bikes, it's up to you to decide.

I own a GSXS-1000F in black and red. I have never driven the ninja. But my understanding is the Ninja is probably a better touring bike but the GSXS, while being a good touring bike, also gives you the sportier handling and more power. Also less weight and better look, but that is just my own opinion. These are the reasons why I picked the GSXS. And I have generally not been deceived, pleased with most aspects. I have no significant issue with throttle and, even if I had, I'm sure there would be solutions. Suspension is good for the price range, but you are not getting a 20k racer either, so it's not the best ever. Still pretty good and sporty. I agree on 1 thing with Doddy and this is my only significant deception with this bike: the paint is cheap and swirls very easily. I am generally very careful with my paint. My 2000 Celica has less swirl than my 2016 GSXS! This tells a lot! My former FZ6R (a beginner's bike from a far inferior category) had significantly better paint. Ultimately, I anticipated to keep this one for a while but I may replace it after 4-5 years due to the cheap paint bogging me. We shall see what is available a that time. The bike is still the best fit for my personal needs at the current date. The only possible contender (for me anyway) would be the Aprilla Tuono.

Back to your choice, nice find on the Kawa with low millage. For me, the killer for the Kawa would be the color. I like blue in general (my FZ6R was blue), but I don't like that particular Kawa blue. I think it was not very popular. I have seen one of these available (brand new) at the end of summer 2015. If you like it, wanna save a few $$$ and if touring/luggage outweighs sport for you, then go for it. Should be easier to sell the Suzuki rapidly and at higher price if you end up not wanting to keep it though.

#13 ·
If price is a large concern to you, then be sure to compare insurance costs... As I understand it, the Ninja typically is more expensive due to the name, it gets lumped in with the ZX-10 and all. Insurance is cheaper for me on my naked GSXS than it was on my 2008 Superduke, a pleasant surprise!

I am super pleased with the bike, no regrets here and I would happily purchase it again.

#26 ·
Well, thanks for all the replies. Here was a reply that was very non-biased and I found helpful and maybe it will be helpful to others. I took it from another forum

" Having recently rode both bikes, each for about 20 minutes, and just buying a '14 N1K, I'll give you my own opinion which is fairly close to Luc's.

- The Suzuki is the more sporty bike of the two, if you push it, the suspension on the Suzuki is more supersport like while the Kawi is more plush. If you don't push either bike, the difference is almost negligible. Not only is the suspension more supersport like, the engine is more supersport like. It's more peaky, rev happy than the Ninja although it's nothing like a true supersport. I didn't get to track the bike nor was there a drag strip so I can't speak about quickness which felt fairly similar but once you got to the 8K range, the Suzuki feels like it's still flying while the Ninja doesn't pull with the same power, it seems. The dyno's do show the Suzuki, although it has the smaller displacement by 44CCs, has nearly 20 more ponies and that's where I felt it; in the 8K+ range. Both bikes has more than enough torque and HP though, especially for street riding and spirited riding.

- The brakes on the Suzuki, under distress, has a better initial bite and modulation. Much like the suspension, it's almost negligible but the brakes on the Suzuki are a tad better but honestly, both are more than suffice for any street rider, not to mention both come with ABS standard (14+ N1K).

- The seat on the Suzuki is far superior to the Kawi and unlike the suspension and brakes, it's a very noticeable difference if you ride them back to back (I rode on them each on the same day although there was a 2 hour gap between the rides). The seat is shaped more for a rear end than a plank. The seat is rounded, has a place where the cheeks go, and has a slight nose to protect your jewels. The pillion though, much like the Kawi, sucks. The '17 Ninja have a far superior pillion though. The difference between the 14-16 N1K and the 17 N1K pillion would be the same as comparing the N1K's seat to the Suzuki's seat; a world of difference.

Along with this, the seat height on paper is only a difference of 0.4" but in reality, it feels about a 1" difference and I think it's because the Suzuki has a slimmer front while the Ninja has a wider front so if you are vertically challenged and aren't confident, this may be a factor. To help with this, I'm a short 5'5" with a 28" inseam and I felt fine but the Suzuki, I was basically flat footing while I was on the balls of my feet on the Ninja. But that doesn't bother me and I'm not into lowering bikes, never have and never will.

Also, the rider position/triangle, is slightly more supersport like on the Suzuki. The Ninja has you just a bit more upright, less weight on your wrists and the pegs are a tad lower where the Suzuki has you a bit more on your wrists (still far better than a SS) and the pegs appear to be a bit higher. Not a problem for a 5'5" guy but if you're 6'2"+ and you don't like being folded up, this may help with the decision.

- Wind protection is far better on the Kawi as it has a superior windscreen and I also felt the fairings on the Ninja were better. The Ninja has a larger windscreen and it's adjustable whereas the Suzuki has a much smaller windscreen that is not adjustable and it's in your supersport mode meaning unless you are in tuck position, you get alot of wind to your upper body. Not bad by any means but the Ninja is noticeably better.

- Weight: The Suzuki is about 37lbs lighter although once you are on the bike and it's moving, it's not noticeable. When the bike isn't in motion, you can feel the difference and the Ninja is also a bulkier bike.

- Electronics/Cluster is where the Ninja shines. It has engine modes (not that I've used it) and it seems to have a better traction control system. The TC on the Suzuki didn't seem to affect me much, or wasn't noticeable, until I went to level 3. There was a difference in the Ninja between each levels, 1 through 3. I also like the Ninja's cluster more, the RPM meter on the Suzuki, I'm just not used to so that's more of a personal preference.

- Aesthetics: From the side, the Suzuki is a good looking bike but once you look from the front, straight on, it's like what Arnold said the predator after it took off its mask; "You are one ugly motherF'er". The looks did turn me off quite a bit and another factor was the paint quality. If you go to the Suzuki forums, they all openly admit the paint is thinly coated and not a very high quality. Scratches and scuffs quite easily, not on par with the other Suzuki bikes apparently. The Ninja has a quality coat and does not seem to scratch or scuff as easily it appears by all accounts. Again, aesthetics is the most subjective of all so this is just what I liked.

- The downfall of the Suzuki for me, besides the lack of aftermarket saddle bags, was really the abrupt throttle. On my stretch in the highway, it wasn't noticeable but on the cloverleafs onto the highway when I was pushing it, it was too sensitive for my liking. You let off the throttle for a little bit and no matter how gentle your roll the throttle, the bike would lunge forward each time, EVERY SINGLE TIME. Now I've heard than an ECU flash or a booster plug will help but it seems hit or miss. All the reviews also confirm the touchy throttle being an issue.

To end, if you want an upright supersport performance bike for the street, I'd go with the Suzuki and try the booster plug to see if that will help with the throttle. If you want a bike that is more friendly for longer rides, something with a large aftermarket, then go with the Ninja. I chose the Ninja because it came with factory bags (uses the same key as the bike), more aftermarket should I need it, a much better looking bike especially from the front, and the Suzuki engine bothered me a bit not to mention the lack of a quality coat of paint. The loss of a few ponies and a less rev happy bike, relatively speaking, didn't bother me so the Ninja it was. Also, the missus also favored the Ninja so that made it a far easier choice. Whatever you do, it is pretty much splitting hairs and really depends on what you are looking for. As with any bike, it's really down to compromises and what you are willing to live with as each bike has their positives and negatives. GL man"

#27 ·
Also the TPS isnt set right on a lot of bikes from new, setting this cures a lot of problems......oh to late....your a Z man now,lol

#28 ·
I have not made my decision just yet. What I inserted/posted was a quote from a member of a different forum. Thought it was helpful. Well, I'm making the drive to the Kawi and Suzuki dealership and have a test ride and will decide which one I like the most.

#31 ·
Having ridden both bikes you can cut to the chase and say that the Ninja is more touring and the GSX-S is more sports. Both bikes can tour and press on, but for what most of your riding is going to be I would say the Ninja is for you.

Unless...

you REALLy like the twisties and crave that style of riding, in which case get the GSX. It beats the Ninja hands down as a fun bike, loves the bends and can be a real hooligan if you want it to be, you'll know which you prefer as soon as you ride them, I know I did and purchased a GSX-S1000F in red & black (the best colour ;))

#34 ·
I've seen all of the reviews and the reviews are all split. The Moto-USA puts the GSXS above the Ninja while MotorcyclistsOnline puts the Ninja above the GSXS. All state the GSXS is the sportier, more "fun" to ride bike while the Ninja allows for better tourning/long distance capabilities.

I spent just over two and a half hours at the dealership and I test rode a '16 Ninja and the '16 GSXS for exactly 30mins each. Here's what I came away and I'm sorry but I won't be telling you anything you didn't already know. Also, I'm not a fan of changing the height of the bike nor the handlebars.

Gixxus: Slightly more fun bike to ride, more rev happy, from the side a gorgeous looking bike but from the front, it's one ugly mofo, looks like an ugly insect (what you expect from a naked), pretty good seat, great brakes, but a very small rear. The rear is pretty much supersport like in that it's just barely big enough to call it a pillion and is not exactly made for a person nor a way to carry luggage.

Pros: Slightly superior performance although it's only noticeable when you push it. The engine wants you to push it a bit more, feels a bit more like a caged animal, if you get my drift. Lower seat height which is great for vertically challenged and a very plush seat which does protect your jewels better and very fun to ride.

Cons: Two things also stood out and that is there is more weight on my wrist which I could change by adding 1" risers although I'm not a fan of doing that and the throttle was definitely choppy if you are are in the middle RPM range. I tried to see if I could quell the choppy throttle by easing up on my roll but nope, it was definitely there regardless of what I did.

Ninja: Very fun bike to ride but coming from a ZX6R, it's less like the ZX6R than the Gixxus. A tad bulkier looking bike but overall, better looking than the Gixxus. The seat is a tad inferior to the Gixxus right off the bat but I don't know how it would feel after 2-3 hours. This one was a used Ninja that came with the factory cases. What I liked about the Ninja was the larger rear, which allows for more storage capabilities and the pillion is nothing to rave about but it's larger and there's still room for a top case if I want to remove the saddle bad. Nothing stood out really

Pros: More touring/2up friendly, larger pillion seat and area, and a very smooth and fun ride.

Cons: Less overall performance than the Gixxus although it isn't too noticeable until you get to the 7-8K range, a tad of buzz at highway speeds in excess of 7.5K.

Conclusion: The Gixxus has the edge in performance but the Ninja has the edge in practicality. The edge in performance isn't exactly huge and the Ninja's edge in practicality isn't either. In the end, I wanted a SPORT-TOURING bike but I didn't want a bike that would be 700lbs after I added hard cases to it and the Ninja's the old guy on the block and the Gixxus is sort of the new kid on the block. But because I would like to ride two up and would like some decent hard luggage, I will be going with the Ninja.

PS: To be fair, it really comes down to what you want. If you are just tired of being turned into a pretzel, your back wants to kill you, and your wrists hate you and you just want a supersport that can easily go more than 100 miles without feeling the pain due to contortion and you don't care for light touring, the Gixxus is definite the one to get as long as you can live with the throttle or if an ECU flash or Boosterplug fixes it, the Gixxus is the way to go. If you want any kind of touring or two upping, definitely go with the Ninja.

PSS: I cheated, I ALSO test rode the new '17 Ninja for another 30 mins and that's the one I will be going with. It's not quite as revvy as the Gixxus but more revvy and more powerful at the top end than the 14-16 Ninja and the rider and pillion are superior to the 14-16 Ninja and far superior to the Gixxus. Oh yea, they fixxed the buzziness of the engine somehow and the 17 does not have the same buzz the 16 had.

#35 ·
Moot point since you are getting the Ninja, but as far as the weight on wrists with the GSX-S, I think one should be able to alleviate some of that by rotating the renthal bars upwards in the clamps, however I haven't tried it on mine since i find it comfortable the way it was set up from the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.