GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Replacement Pads

19K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  G-Dub 
#1 ·
Hi people. I've just fitted some EBC HH pads to the front - just to see if it improves the initial bite of the OEM brakes. Will give feedback next weekend after I've bedded them in.

Now what was interesting was that I ordered a matching set for the rear - these were listed as FA436HH. Two things - first they don't fit, the backing plate is a different shape. But secondly I noticed that the rear calliper is a Nissin unit not Brembo.

Interested if this is standard (and I've not noticed before - so please don't bombard me with posts to say this has been noted many times before etc) with other people's bikes.

I'm not concerned, the rear brake is not that important, and I accept that it has the more basic Brembos up front, but thought it odd that there are different makes front and rear (?)

Not a huge issue at all and I've let B&C in the UK know and asked them if they can match an EBC equivalent from the Nissin part number that is stamped into the backing plate.

But I'd be interested to hear from others on this - particularly if they have got a Brembo on the back !

See less See more
#3 ·
Nissin on the back is standard

#5 ·
I have a set of the gsxr brembo fronts on my ninja 1000. Like you noticed the pads are very weak.

I tried the ebc's but found them to be noisy and grit like feeling. I then switched to the Vesrah pads listed here:

Vesrah RJL Race Brake Pads VD 9031RJL 2 Sets Both Calipers 675R GSX R RSV4 RC8 | eBay

More power than ebc and very quiet.

As far as the brembo part of the caliper...I believe a licensing fee was paid to someone to produce these. I dont see them ever going near a brembo production facility.

Its a pretty good caliper, and I like the gold color, but at 10.000, we're not getting 1500.00 dollar brembo calipers.

#7 ·
Had the EBC HH pads in for a few hundred kms now. They do solve the lack of initial bite that the standard pads suffered (and I also experienced on previous GSXRs). I'm very pleased with them and would recommend to anyone else who wants to sharpen the braking up. I've heard that the Vesrahs are also great pads. But for the money these are really a great improvement.

#9 ·
We kind of luck out with these calipers. Its a very common brake pad. You can run pads from the gsxr 1000, but also many of the ducatis and aprilias.

I would urge you to branch out and not automatically reach for the ebc brand. Its not a bad pad by any means, but its nothing like some of the pads we have access to. For example:

Vesrah RJL Race Brake Pads VD 9031RJL 2 Sets Both Calipers 675R GSX R RSV4 RC8 | eBay

Vesrah VD 9031 RJL XX Brake Pads for Brembo VD9031 XX Race Pads VD 9031RJLXX | eBay

#24 ·
nice bike :)

FWIW, Zcoos are the go to pad of choice for many racers in Japan, including Suzuka racers due their great performance (power, feel, feedback) and wear characteristics (not hard on rotors either). They are not well known in North America but should be. That being said, you can't rally go wrong with Vesrah that's for sure...

Have you tried the "new" high end EBC pads (NOT the HH)? they are said to work quite well too...

#32 ·
I installed the Vesrah RJL pads on the front tonight and did a quick test ride. Also lightly sanded the rotors and wiped with brake cleaner. They are definitely more grippy than stock, but not as grippy as the OEM on my '14 V-strom 1000. Initial bite is not what I was expecting, but it is really good for my style of riding, which is not too agressive. I'm not really interested in being able to flip the bike with one finger, lol. (My ability has not yet caught up with the bike.) The stocks seemed to have gotten better over the past couple of weeks (only 800 miles on the bike), so maybe the Vesrahs will get a little more bite as they wear in. Although I bled the heck out of the front brake lines right after I got it, I'm not convinced there's not a few air bubbles still hiding in there somewhere.

#35 ·
Since getting a few miles on the Vesrah RJL pads, it seems they've gotten a little more bite to them. It doesn't take as much lever force for a normal stop as it did initially and I'm very happy with them. They do make a "shhhhhhh" sound when applied while the oem were virtually silent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.