LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power Commander on GSX-S1000 and dyno sheet

Hi GSX-Sers

I have had my GSX-S since October and have recently joined the forum after reading a lot of posts about "snappy throttle" and hard to get "constant throttle". I was a mechanic for a number of years and my new GSX-S dissapointed me from the start with regards to the characteristics of the motor. It was nearly dangerous on rough roads (and Aus has lots of these) due to the snatchy throttle, I was always chasing the throttle to keep a constant speed and not get caught by one of our speed cameras, the idle was inconsistent and it displayed symptoms of being excessively lean until it hit the go button at around 7,000 rpm.

Being a mechanic I had to fix all these things that were bugging me, I like my bikes perfect and are renown for my patience when sorting a bike out.

I took my GSX-S to DeWith Motorsport (Mick DeWith is a great friend of mine) and ran it up on the dyno and found the bike to be very lean up to 8,000 rpm. Just what I suspected. It's 138.6 HP was far below the advertised Suzuki figure so I was justified in complaining that the bike was a bit weak.

I fitted a Power Commander 5 that had a map in it for the GSX-S1000 but that made very little difference so we began the process of manually mapping the fuel through the Power Commander. 44 dyno runs later and we had roughed out a starting map which gave me a 4 to 8 HP gain right through the rev range with a top output of 146.8 HP. Now I was getting what the Suzuki advertising told me.

On test riding, the throttle was much smoother, the bike would pull hard in any gear and hold a constant throttle. I did not move my hand once in 20kms @ 100KPH on the highway, it had never done that before. There was no big rush at 7,000 rpm plus as the bike now had power all the way to 7,000 rpm and the bottom, middle and top matched each other. There was no jerkiness at city traffic speeds.

I have not touched the low throttle openings yet and have only roughed in a fuel map. I will spend another day fine tuning the bike when I can get some more dyno time.

I have some other tuning mods to do as well and will report back on them.

Does anyone know what happens around 7,000 rpm, do the secondary throttle butterflies or the exhaust flapper open then, does some electronic thisg happen at 7,000 rpm. It is very tricky to tune around 7,000 rpm. I will find it but someone may be able to save me the effort. You can see it in both the dyno curves and the power commander does not respond very well at that range.

My bike is stock as a rock except for the Power Commander and I reckon you're better off buying a Power Commander than an aftermarket slip on muffler. How many mufflers quote a 4 plus HP increase right throughout the rev range and make the bike far more rideable in all situations.

The fuel mapping seems to be the solution to a lot of the issues discussed in this forum. I hope this post has helped a few people.

Also the exhaust note changed dramatically, it's now deeper.

I have already tried to upload the map last night and failed, I hope it works this time. The stock dyno run is in red, the one after a days day's mapping with the Power Commander 5 is in black. Each line is equal to 4 HP on the verticle scale.

I took videos of the GSX-S on the dyno and will edit out all the garbage and submit it soon so you can hear a GSX-S at full throttle.

Cheers from Aus

Yoshcbx6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gsxs1000 dyno web 1a035.jpg (317.4 KB, 480 views)
Gixxus, Marty, matdaddy and 6 others like this.
post #2 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great, Why don't you pop in to the introduction page and say Hi? FWIW this post sounds like an advertisement.
post #3 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOSHCBX6 View Post
Hi GSX-Sers

I have had my GSX-S since October and have recently joined the forum after reading a lot of posts about "snappy throttle" and hard to get "constant throttle". I was a mechanic for a number of years and my new GSX-S dissapointed me from the start with regards to the characteristics of the motor. It was nearly dangerous on rough roads (and Aus has lots of these) due to the snatchy throttle, I was always chasing the throttle to keep a constant speed and not get caught by one of our speed cameras, the idle was inconsistent and it displayed symptoms of being excessively lean until it hit the go button at around 7,000 rpm.

Being a mechanic I had to fix all these things that were bugging me, I like my bikes perfect and are renown for my patience when sorting a bike out.

I took my GSX-S to DeWith Motorsport (Mick DeWith is a great friend of mine) and ran it up on the dyno and found the bike to be very lean up to 8,000 rpm. Just what I suspected. It's 138.6 HP was far below the advertised Suzuki figure so I was justified in complaining that the bike was a bit weak.

I fitted a Power Commander 5 that had a map in it for the GSX-S1000 but that made very little difference so we began the process of manually mapping the fuel through the Power Commander. 44 dyno runs later and we had roughed out a starting map which gave me a 4 to 8 HP gain right through the rev range with a top output of 146.8 HP. Now I was getting what the Suzuki advertising told me.

On test riding, the throttle was much smoother, the bike would pull hard in any gear and hold a constant throttle. I did not move my hand once in 20kms @ 100KPH on the highway, it had never done that before. There was no big rush at 7,000 rpm plus as the bike now had power all the way to 7,000 rpm and the bottom, middle and top matched each other. There was no jerkiness at city traffic speeds.

I have not touched the low throttle openings yet and have only roughed in a fuel map. I will spend another day fine tuning the bike when I can get some more dyno time.

I have some other tuning mods to do as well and will report back on them.

Does anyone know what happens around 7,000 rpm, do the secondary throttle butterflies or the exhaust flapper open then, does some electronic thisg happen at 7,000 rpm. It is very tricky to tune around 7,000 rpm. I will find it but someone may be able to save me the effort. You can see it in both the dyno curves and the power commander does not respond very well at that range.

My bike is stock as a rock except for the Power Commander and I reckon you're better off buying a Power Commander than an aftermarket slip on muffler. How many mufflers quote a 4 plus HP increase right throughout the rev range and make the bike far more rideable in all situations.

The fuel mapping seems to be the solution to a lot of the issues discussed in this forum. I hope this post has helped a few people.

Also the exhaust note changed dramatically, it's now deeper.

I have already tried to upload the map last night and failed, I hope it works this time. The stock dyno run is in red, the one after a days day's mapping with the Power Commander 5 is in black. Each line is equal to 4 HP on the verticle scale.

I took videos of the GSX-S on the dyno and will edit out all the garbage and submit it soon so you can hear a GSX-S at full throttle.

Cheers from Aus

Yoshcbx6
Nice post!

FYI. BOS exhaust states 6.5 HP gain for their slip-on.

Also......you gonna share that MAP with us PCV users? Sell it maybe? :-)
lee020668 likes this.

post #4 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Thanks for posting. I have many questions, but I'll start with these.

44 WOT dyno runs? What does the rear tire look like now?

If you didn't do any tuning at low throttle openings, why would the drivability be better at cruising speeds???
rcannon409 likes this.
post #5 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'd love to put a pipe like that on my bike but our laws in Aus make it a risk so I have to leave it stock. I don't want to be cop bait at my age.
That writing on the stock muffler about compliance usually keeps the EPA of your back.

I wonder whether the exhaust manufacturers are quoting HP figures by just fitting the muffler or whether they remap as well. I'd love to do a test to see what manufacturers pipe is the best but for the cost of a muffler in AUS it's out of the question. I did it years ago with CBX1000s and the results were surprising.

Most pipes should produce a better flow so it stands to reason that you need to remap the fuel to get the full benefit.

I have however seen bikes that by just putting on a muffler can make a world of difference.

Please note that I am just showing my experience with the Australian model that in my case needed a substantial increase in fuel up to the mid range. That might not be the case everywhere, I notice there are different part numbers for some components in different countries.

It's funny that some countries don't have the snappy throttle or inconsistent throttle but mine did. Fuels are different. Every bike is different. The bike I test rode was as smooth as silk and brand new 000 kms.

My bike was awful and I had to do something hence the first diagnostic dyno run.

I'm retired and don't want to work on bikes that's what disappointed me so much. I just wanted a new bike that I could just jump on and ride and didn't have to work on.

If you have a snappy one throw some fuel at it up to 8,000rpm. A little at a time and go for a test. The Autotune will do it for you as well probably worth the additional cost if you don't have access to a dyno.

Mines got a way to go yet but has improved greatly but I'll keep at it.

Great forum for info on the GSX-S1000.

Cheers

Yoshcbx6
Nedbone likes this.
post #6 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi LuckyGS

By low throttle I mean 0% to 5% throttle opening and I didn't attempt anything there as I hadn't worked out what electronics are going on at idle and didn't want mess with it until I understood it and had time to reverse it if it didn't work. 5% is just above idle and your not there often. 2,000 rpm is way above 5% throttle opening. The Power Commander 5% isn't really 5% actual, it's a place on the fuel map that you can adjust. I've adjusted every point on the map except 0 & 5%.

I have to do some dyno runs to see where all the pollution and tuning bits and pieces take effect. It'd be nice if Suzuki would put out a fact sheet on this.

I think the main issue on my GSX-S was the lean mixture that made the bike have nothing until the fuel caught up with the throttle opening and it all happened with a bang. Now it is much smoother once the throttle is open. Still not perfect, especially at idle, it's a work in progress but I'm a patient man.

Yep, don't put your bike on a dyno with new tyres, they won't be when you're finished.

They look like I've never been around a corner and half worn out. It got really sticky.

The price you pay for being fussy.

Cheers

Yoshcbx6
Nedbone and NamGa like this.
post #7 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
I am in the same boat. I don't want to work on mine either. It's just impossible to have a good running bike now due to all the hippie emissions ****. As if motorcycles will kill the environment. Leave a converter on it, fuel it to run proper, and take whatever emissions reductions you get is what I say to the smog cops. Cars are a different story. Too many of them and too large to ignore what they pour out.
rcannon409 and Ireek like this.
post #8 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's actually funny but it seems that I am getting better highway fuel economy since richening the mixture up to 8,000 rpm.

I haven't done many kms yet to prove it but didn't expect that, mine was really bad on fuel before and never got the factory figures.

Maybe it's because I'm not constantly chasing the throttle.

Maybe the EPA has got it wrong, if I'm using less fuel isn't that good? I was chasing 13.2 Air Fuel ratio, the GSX-S seems to like that on the dyno I was using.

Each air / fuel ratio sensor is a bit different and dynos are set up differently. My figures may be different compared to other dynos but it's the base point that I keep referring back to to see if there is an improvement.

I just worked out what WOT means, most of the dyno runs are not Wide Open Throttle but there is significant tyre wear as it gets hot.

You start at the bottom and work up to set a fuel map with a Power Commander.

That what takes so long. Every time you make a small adjustment the dyno counts as another run.

You might have five runs to the same throttle position. Finessing it takes even longer I haven't done this yet.

Cheers Yoshcbx6
Nedbone likes this.
post #9 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Hi Yoshcbx6 and welcome. Sounds like you will be a good contributor to the forum. Like Gixxus said, I hope you will share the map when you are satisfied with it. To my knowledge, the only one out there for a PCV is the one that Dynojet developed for a stock bike. I'm hopeful that more maps will become available in the near future. My bike was like yours when I bought it......the throttle was so snatchy that it took a lot of pleasure out of the riding experience, even dangerous at times. I'm still baffled that some bikes, according to some posts on this forum, don't suffer from the "snatchy throttle syndrome". The PCV cured most of the problem for me and a Throttle Tamer took care of the rest. Sometimes I wonder if Suzuki understands just how bad the problem is (at least on some bikes).
post #10 of 154 Old 01-12-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Schmedlab

I'm sure Suzuki engineers didn't take the GSX-S1000 in the traffic or rough or dirt roads, pity because it's a wonderful bike.

If a bloke who hadn't ridden for 20 years got on one he could get into trouble pretty quick on a bumpy road.

I have bought everything to try and improve the rideability of the bike and have yet to fit the throttle tamer, Healtech TRE, Healtech exhaust flapper control eliminator, etc, etc.

I know it will take time as I really don't enjoy working on bikes any more.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

I have also softened the front end which seemed to help with the bumps.

Cheers

Yoshcbx6
Nedbone likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page