post #1 of 70 Old 02-19-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Traction control.

Hi guys.

I have been riding my bike on a couple off track days and I've manage to get some nasty "drifts" with the rear end...

I've actually noticed the slide before the bike and managed too control it myself before the bike did anything!

So is it just me how have noticed the same thing?
The traction control doesn't seem to be so good at controlling the bike as the European bikes...

// Ottafjun
post #2 of 70 Old 02-19-2016, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
If you research this, you'll find basic traction control systems for as low as 699 to a top end of 25,000 + technicians salary to program the system.

Think about what needs to happen before your system kicks in. You have to exceed some sort of parameter for the machine to recognize....I'm guessing a combination of rpm change, and wheel slip.

As the systems get more and more sophisticated, they add all sorts of extra monitoring to do what? To catch it faster.sooner, and more predictably.

So, if the question, or answer is , "Will a street oriented, emergency type system ,on a 10,000 bike, perform as well as a a race oriented, five axis system on a 15,000 bike"?

The answer is probably going to be no.

Yes, I do know why Honda and Suzuki have not fitted such a system to any of their track oriented bikes.

What setting were you on, or did you try all three?
post #3 of 70 Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
On my recent trackday, I stayed in setting 2 on dry track and had no problems!

Ageing disgracefully since 1947

Motorcycle blog: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/

post #4 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Garage
Just a quote from Suzuki's info page.
Quote:
Three‑mode traction control system

The system checks the front and rear wheel speeds, the throttle position sensor, the crank position sensor, and the gear position sensor 250 times a second. It quickly reduces engine output by effecting control over the ignition timing whenever it detects wheelspin. The system’s control over engine output feels so smooth and natural, it does not detract from riding pleasure.
post #5 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Dekker if we look at that, backwards, it has to detect wheelspin/and or a sudden, odd, increase in rpm, then reacts.

Now, theres no way human reaction will be at 250 ties per second..well, Motophoneman probably can, but for sure not me.

You know what the answer might be?

As kids, riding out on the Bonneville Salt Flats, we learned fast. We did our best to imitate our favorite dirt track stars by power sliding. You learned that chopping the throttle, during a slide, was a bad idea. If you did, and were moving fast enough, you went over the bars. When that rear wheel was out, then stopped sliding, the front followed, and you were flying like superman.

So, I bet this system does not do this. It would be horrible if it did.

So, it must gently reduce the power, but not so much as to stop the slide 100%, which would likely result in a crash.
Mythic and vnuh like this.
post #6 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
I've had mine step out sideways on me pulling out on a junction.
I did the norm and shut the throttle off whilst chucking my weight over the handle bars. I didn't come off, whether that was my lightning quick reactions or the traction control I'll never know. On the other hand, without the traction control, would I have been on my a$$? We'll never know that either.
Personally, I'll never rely on it. It gives me a bit more confidence in the wet and the cold but only to the extent I can twist the throttle and see when the light starts to cut in. Even then, only in an upright position, I wouldn't trust it on a bend, too many other forces come into play and the result of it going wrong are too great
Slower and Slower likes this.

Pull my finger
post #7 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
When I was riding on the track I had the traction control in the 2 mode.

The first slide I got was in a fast corner with low throttle, when the bike started sliding I eased of the throttle and the bike stopped sliding... Next lap I saw a clear line of rubber on the track exact where the bike slided!

It felt like there was not room for much more sliding before an crash.

Can the reason for the low interference off the traction control system be that i had little throttle and the "spin" wasn't big enough?
post #8 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottafjun View Post
Can the reason for the low interference off the traction control system be that i had little throttle and the "spin" wasn't big enough?
Yes.
Tried to provoke it last summer with a sudden WOT over a little bump on a ramp.
And sure enough. The front wheel came up so quickly that I reacted before the TC cut the fuel. This was setting 3 ("normal" TC).

The GSXS have a fairly simple TC.
Still it is good enough for street use. On a track a more sophisticated TC that also monitors lean angle will work better.

Try with setting 1 and see if that "fixes" it (probably it will reduce power/laptimes compared to setting 2/3).

2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #9 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
What I've learnt about our TC is that mode 3 is for "rain" mode 2 is for normal road use and mode 1 is for track use.

When I've ride in mode 3 the TC is interfering all the time in corners like it's trying too stop the bike from sliding before it happens!

Mode 2 haven't interfered at all on the road and didn't interfere on the track when the bike drifted away.

I have barely ride the bike in mode 1... Doesn't seem necessary if the bike didn't react when the rear end came loose in mode 2.
post #10 of 70 Old 02-20-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottafjun View Post
What I've learnt about our TC is that mode 3 is for "rain" mode 2 is for normal road use and mode 1 is for track use.

When I've ride in mode 3 the TC is interfering all the time in corners like it's trying too stop the bike from sliding before it happens!

Mode 2 haven't interfered at all on the road and didn't interfere on the track when the bike drifted away.

I have barely ride the bike in mode 1... Doesn't seem necessary if the bike didn't react when the rear end came loose in mode 2.
Opps!!
Sorry, winter time.. and no riding. Forgot the numbering of the TC modes.
Yes, I meant 1 for 3 and vice versa.
So you have already verified the "rain" (3) modus take care of slidin before it even can happen.
I like mode 1 and off.
Ottafjun likes this.

2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page