BoosterPlug Report - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West Kent UK
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BoosterPlug Report

Just been for a quick spin at last with the BoosterPlug fitted and have to say a marked improvement with a snatchy throttle problem, at least a 70% improvement I would say, not perfect but I'm happy with the bike now... Bloody well wish I knew about the BoosterPlug sooner before spending £500 on a PCv and custom tune.....
gripen, Kassu and robdeniro0 like this.
tonyt is online now  
post #2 of 38 Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
robdeniro0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Upper Marlboro Md. USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
On the fence about this mod but have heard overwhelmingly positive results, that being said i kinda like my bikes frenetic nature so not sure about making her milder... Glad you love your results!
robdeniro0 is online now  
post #3 of 38 Old 03-16-2017, 06:57 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Just been for a quick spin at last with the BoosterPlug fitted and have to say a marked improvement with a snatchy throttle problem, at least a 70% improvement I would say, not perfect but I'm happy with the bike now... Bloody well wish I knew about the BoosterPlug sooner before spending £500 on a PCv and custom tune.....
All you needed to do was manually add more fuel blocks to your PCV map in the affected area (typically 2 - 2.5K RPM at 1% and 5% throttle). Your tuner would have automatically tuned for HP across the range using a closed-loop dyno that would not have done much for low-rpm hesitation (unless you specifically asked him to). In my opinion (and I'm standing by, ready to be flamed) you've taken a massive step backwards in tunability to implement a 70%, non-adjustable "sledgehammer" solution. Yes, the PCV option takes a lot more effort to setup correctly (and a dyno tune won't necessarily do it, because it doesn't "ride" your bike and "feel" it) but I'm 90% of the way there after a couple of weeks of tinkering, and still believe it's the best option (again, as long as you like tinkering). Once I've worked out the best low-rpm tune, I'm going to get a dyno tune done and then combine the maps (use elements of mine down low, and the professional tune for midrange and high, which is where the dyno can do a much better job than I).

Last edited by 17105; 03-17-2017 at 03:16 AM.
17105 is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West Kent UK
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Bacon View Post
All you needed to do was manually add more fuel blocks to your PCV map in the affected area (typically 2 - 2.5K RPM at 1% and 5% throttle). Your tuner would have automatically tuned for HP across the range using a closed-loop dyno that would not have done much for low-rpm hesitation (unless you specifically asked him to). In my opinion (and I'm standing by, ready to be flamed) you've taken a massive step backwards in tunability to implement a 70%, non-adjustable "sledgehammer" solution. Yes, the PCV option takes a lot more effort to setup correctly (and a dyno tune won't necessarily do it, because it doesn't "ride" your bike and "feel" it) but I'm 90% of the way there after a couple of weeks of tinkering, and still believe it's the best option (again, as long as you like tinkering). Once I've worked out the best low-rpm tune, I'm going to get a dyno tune done and then combine the maps (use elements of mine down low, and the professional tune for midrange and high, which is where the dyno can do a much better job than I).
Very interesting Rod... But as I understand it, it's pointless throwing fuel at closed injectors .... I'm going to put my PCv back on with the BoosterPlug and see what happens..
tonyt is online now  
post #5 of 38 Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Very interesting Rod... But as I understand it, it's pointless throwing fuel at closed injectors .... I'm going to put my PCv back on with the BoosterPlug and see what happens..
that was my understanding as well however, when Ive added fuel to the Closed injector section of my fuel table (or subtracted for the matter) the engine obviously is responding to my changes. something is happening
dqban is online now  
post #6 of 38 Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
that was my understanding as well however, when Ive added fuel to the Closed injector section of my fuel table (or subtracted for the matter) the engine obviously is responding to my changes. something is happening
For sure. I've noticed the same thing. I reckon the ECU is simply sending zero fuel (or very close too it) and that it can still be overridden by the PCV.
17105 is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
nicka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Victoria
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Bacon View Post
For sure. I've noticed the same thing. I reckon the ECU is simply sending zero fuel (or very close too it) and that it can still be overridden by the PCV.


That's interesting as my thoughts and I could be wrong here is the PCV values are a percentage of the injector values so if the value is zero then no percentage will help, maybe they are still sending a very small amount

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
nicka is online now  
post #8 of 38 Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
That's interesting as my thoughts and I could be wrong here is the PCV values are a percentage of the injector values so if the value is zero then no percentage will help, maybe they are still sending a very small amount
From Dynojet: "Our values in the table represent a percentage of fuel change relative to injector pulse width."

So you are correct, in that it's a %/- of the base pulse (the duration for which the injector is "open"). All I can say is that by adding blocks in the ranges where fuel is minimal (I won't use the word "cut", because I don't believe it is the case) I can definitely alleviate the stumbling/hesitation. Keep in mind that boosterplug simply adds ~6% everywhere. It doesn't have the ability to turn the injectors on if they were indeed switched off.
Kassu likes this.
17105 is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
i read the booster plug FAQ in there long version website....read quick was at work...said its not adding fuel all the time ..at steady speed on highway its off or idle... total its 1 or 2 percent more fuel over all and many find better gas mileage .....none of the talk on forum about booster plug talks about that.....did i read wrong am i missing something its not 6 percent across the rpm range....im a believer in a stock bike will run better overall riding in 4 seasons of weather.....but this booster plug seems to be the biggest bang for the buck....you do realize you can gain quickness and smoothness without your top hp number changing
tonyt likes this.
LEAVEITSTOCK is online now  
post #10 of 38 Old 03-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Senior Member
 
nicka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Victoria
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
i read the booster plug FAQ in there long version website....read quick was at work...said its not adding fuel all the time ..at steady speed on highway its off or idle... total its 1 or 2 percent more fuel over all and many find better gas mileage .....none of the talk on forum about booster plug talks about that.....did i read wrong am i missing something its not 6 percent across the rpm range....im a believer in a stock bike will run better overall riding in 4 seasons of weather.....but this booster plug seems to be the biggest bang for the buck....you do realize you can gain quickness and smoothness without your top hp number changing


your right it's not 6 percent it tricks it into thinking it's 6 degrees cooler so it's calculated then in the ecu altering just a couple of percent, also yes it has no effect on constant throttle if you have the 02 still connected as it runs in closed loop

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
nicka is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome