LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Traction Control problem

Hi,

Recently my TC seems to be acting up. When riding the TC light comes on randomly and stays on for 3-5 seconds, ie. not the blinking that occurs when the TC is intervening. At the same time CHEC is showing in the display and the gear indicator is showing "-".

This happens every 15 minutes or so. I have tried, but been unable to reproduce the event.

I have done some testing on gravel, and the TC appears to be working like it should.

Has anyone else had this?
post #2 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridtjofs View Post
Hi,

Recently my TC seems to be acting up. When riding the TC light comes on randomly and stays on for 3-5 seconds, ie. not the blinking that occurs when the TC is intervening. At the same time CHEC is showing in the display and the gear indicator is showing "-".

This happens every 15 minutes or so. I have tried, but been unable to reproduce the event.

I have done some testing on gravel, and the TC appears to be working like it should.

Has anyone else had this?

Have you done any work on the bike? Lose cable behind the console? CPU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be a bad connection somewhere. Probably not it, but very simple and good place to start - check the battery terminal connections to make sure they're tight. Then maybe start at the dash and work out checking connectors. Should also check ground connections to the frame. Maybe a dealer could read a stored trouble code?

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650

post #4 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
Sounds like it could be a bad connection somewhere. Probably not it, but very simple and good place to start - check the battery terminal connections to make sure they're tight. Then maybe start at the dash and work out checking connectors. Should also check ground connections to the frame. Maybe a dealer could read a stored trouble code?
I also thought bad connection. Have had it dynoed and remapped so there is a probable source for the problem. Had it back to the shop today to check the connections they modified (they installed a connector to be able to read/write to the ecu). We (they) did not find any problems. I was standing right next to the mechanic checking the connectors and they looked fine to me too.

I know how to read error codes off the bike. I have not tried yet, and as the error is only occurring a few seconds at the time I doubt there will be anything to read. But i will check it out.

Naked '16
Previous bikes
'11 KTM 990SMT
'97 Honda CBR 600F3
post #5 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
From the manual:

Quote:
NOTE: When the display indicates “CHEC” in the odometer display area, the gear position indicator does not indicate a number but indicates “–”.
and

Quote:
When the display indicates “CHEC” in the odometer display area, check the following items; • Make sure that the engine stop switch is in the “RUN” position. • Make sure that the transmission is in neutral or the side stand is fully up. If the display still indicates “CHEC” after checking the above items, inspect the ignition fuse and the connection of the lead wire couplers.
If it didnt happen before the remap but did straight away afterwards, that's got to be your prime suspect. Could the remap have messed with the ignition maybe?

Not sure I would be happy having to add extra connections for the remap, but no I'm no expert, so maybe this is normal. My remap was all done through an existing connector in the tail.

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #6 of 15 Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Try with the usual Computer solution first. Disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes for every thing to discharge, then reconnect.
While there with the battery is disconnected, check the standing voltage as it's always possible that a cell may have an intermittent short internally or a snapped busbar from vibration.
Battery problems explain a lot of strange car and bike issues.

Rob.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Did the shop leave a cable in your bike for future map/tune updates?

When you say the connections 'looked' good - do you mean aesthetically, or did someone use a meter and jiggle the wires?

Does your setup have an AFR monitor?
post #8 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post
Did the shop leave a cable in your bike for future map/tune updates?

When you say the connections 'looked' good - do you mean aesthetically, or did someone use a meter and jiggle the wires?

Does your setup have an AFR monitor?
Yes, the cable was left in the bike.
They only did a visual inspection of the connectors.
Not sure what you mene by that. The shop did not remove the bikes lambda sensor, as far as I know, but I have no extra AFR monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Try with the usual Computer solution first. Disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes for every thing to discharge, then reconnect.
While there with the battery is disconnected, check the standing voltage as it's always possible that a cell may have an intermittent short internally or a snapped busbar from vibration.
Battery problems explain a lot of strange car and bike issues.

Rob.
Thanks, I will try that.
Slower and Slower likes this.

Naked '16
Previous bikes
'11 KTM 990SMT
'97 Honda CBR 600F3
post #9 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 04:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Not sure I would be happy having to add extra connections for the remap, but no I'm no expert, so maybe this is normal. My remap was all done through an existing connector in the tail.
I have never heard of a remap being done through an existing cable in the tail - its usually done by adding in a harness that connects directly to the ECU or by removing the ECU to flash it.

Who did the reflash/what software was used?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
A local firm in Norway did the flash/dyno. I do not know what software they used.

Naked '16
Previous bikes
'11 KTM 990SMT
'97 Honda CBR 600F3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page