2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-17-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Soft Front Brake Lever

This has been happening to me very inconsistently, but about 6 times over the past 2 weeks when I've first started my bike the brake lever will go to the handlebars. I'll then pump the lever again and it will be a little better, then a third pump usually puts it where it should be. Brake feels normal for the rest of the ride. The length of time the bike has been sitting between rides doesn't seem to matter as I can leave it for 2 days and it might be fine, leave it for a few hours and it might be soft.

I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. I had them flush and bleed the brakes anyway but the problem persists.

Any ideas here?
post #2 of 15 Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Try zip tying up the lever overnight that will sort it out...
Doddy666 likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
There was a recall for leaking brake calipers for early bikes. There is a thread here about it. Check your VIN number against the range of affected bikes.

Could also be a failing M/C

Might be a good idea to let another dealer look at it too

Last edited by Supercharger; 06-17-2017 at 08:36 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

I had the recall done on the calipers back when it was new.

I tried the zip tie thing and after a couple hours I checked it and the lever was soft to the handlebars. I don't know what that means or if that is the expected result.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Have you tried bleeding them?
post #6 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It means something is leaking causing the loss of line pressure. Seal, hose or fitting is leaking. Doesn't take much of a leak to get the symptom you describe.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
my 2016 has been doing this randomly but i suspect its mostly due to some air trapped or created ( from boiling ) somewhere in the system as the lever comes back after a few hard uses....ABS pipework isn't easy to bleed and as mine isn't a major problem i'm leaving it for now..... if however i had a track day planned i'd take the time to sort it....my 2013 Hayabusa was the same so for me its the ABS plumbing etc holding air....took 3 or 4 bleeds to sort the Hayabusa ( even the dealer had a go ) and it never felt as solid as the 2012 non ABS model a mate had.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got a new 2017 and am very much down on information on these things, but I noticed a bleed valve on the master cylinder. Been a while since I've had a Japanese motorcycle for the street that had one of them but if I had the problem, I'd give that a try at bleeding. However, you have the ABS model. I don't have experience with those and that factor might contribute to a problem.

Let us know how it goes.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
I don't doubt you might have air in there somewhere (I bled mine about four times when it was new) but that would make a spongy lever. Seems to me for it to go to the bar means fluid is getting by the seal in the master cylinder. If it is still under warranty I would insist the dealer replace it. If not under warranty, you could replace, or maybe there's a rebuild kit. Maybe it hasn't happened while riding, but who knows if it will? Just my $.02.

Edit: Actually, after thinking about it, I don't think I would do a rebuild, but replace the whole thing. There could be a defect in the metal parts as opposed to the rubber parts.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650

Last edited by G-Dub; 06-18-2017 at 02:39 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Whilst rebleeding mine today I think mine may have a seal in the master leaking under pressure...can't be totally sure as the reservoir was full and may have leaked out the cap as i unscrewed it.
Something to keep an eye on but even after an hour of careful bleeding the lever still has some spongy action....much less than before but i'd like better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page