GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Deleting mirror mounts

12K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  GSXS-NH 
#1 ·
Along with replacements for the fender reflector bolts I received new clamps for both clutch and master cylinder.
Got the bulk of the mirror ?bung? cut off. Will check the look with them flat tomorrow, might need to be rounded.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
So here's what it looks like with just the threaded portion chopped flat. To do it again I'd have left a bit of that threaded part to help blend it in since the domed area is a bit higher on the perch. I did some shaping since these pics and will post those once I'm happy -ish.
It's sprayed with primer if you're wondering. Anyone know what the factory finish is? Paint, powder coat, anodized?
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25898&stc=1&d=1496465227
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25906&stc=1&d=1496465227
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=25914&stc=1&d=1496465227

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Not too expensive, wish I'd seen those before diving into this. You'd think I would have since I did search clamps on ebay. Will soldier on though and I'm sure I'll be the only one who will notice they aren't perfect.
Edit: did just notice that the brake clamp is 19.6mm wide and clutch 21.65mm. Slight difference I know but worth note.

#17 ·
Got this wrapped up and finally snapped pics. Again not perfect but I like it better. THEN today my dumb*** noticed the brake master cylinder clamp on my wife's 85 rebel... I didn't remove it from the rebel to verify but it looks like a good match. 10.95 a pop on bikebandit.com

Attachments

#19 ·
I just modified my mirror mounts today, not 100% finished but ran out of time, when I get some more time I will try and pefect them.

I changed to CRG bar end mirrors - much better vision - slightly convex and no elbows in the way.

Used an 4" angle grinder to cut off the protruding part and a bench grinder to shape it a bit, next week a file and emery cloth to get it better but happy so far

Attachments

#23 ·
two clutch perch clamps for 5$ , may were a better solution
(i did with mine )

#29 ·
Here's a thread about the non-mirror stud version of the clamps. I replaced mine (Part # 59671-01H00 from Partzilla) They worked out great and look much cleaner. BYW, I didn't have to bore out any holes. They just workde on both sides - on my bike.
Thank you
You said the same part works on both sides ? The pieces I got fit the brake side but not the clutch side. The clutch side hole spacing is a whisker wider.

#30 ·
Sorry, I was a little slow on the update, but I added a link with pictures of mine. I don't remember any problem with fit on either side, and I definitely didn't do any drilling to get it to fit, but the OP in the thread I linked mentions having to bore out the hole a little. I don't know why mine "just worked", but they did. I guess I just got lucky.

#33 ·
I posted on this subject a while ago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.