GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Stock Rear Spring rate??

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  temporarykiwi 
#1 ·
Does any one know what the stock rear spring rate is on my 2016 GXS1000F? I may opt for a new spring but just need to know what the current spring weight is. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

#6 ·
Checked my rear spring rate a couple of weeks ago and it was 9.8 Kg/mm, likely meant to be 10 but my thoughts are that a cheaply made spring fitted to the cheaply produced shock is likely getting weaker by the mile. :eek:

#11 ·
Don't forget that different tyre cases have different effects, Some have stiffer sidewalls than others and can completely change how a bike handles and rides with your own weight and style.
As tyres age with the flexing, the sidewalls go softer, that's why a new set always feel great. If your personal weight is way over the Jap 70KG ideal, this one area of fix that gets a better result for you.
And the OEM tyres are a special order which is not available from the Tyre Shop.
Tyres sold in Europe, USA, Oceania have different properties even though they may have the same designation number (but differ in the rest of the coding).

My old 2015 VFR1200F had OEM Dunlop RoadSmart1's as OEM. The suspension no matter how adjusted to provide a magic carpet ride never happened.
The front and rear would hit the bumps and dips and pass it on to me.
I changed them as they wore out to Michelin Pilot Road. The research I did found that Honda wanted The Market to consider it as a 75% Sport 25% Tourer, so fitted softer tyre casings to give more sidewall flex on lean.

I had a choice of PR4 or PR4 ST. The VFR weighs over 275 KG and the ST was a better fit. Made for heavier touring bikes. Those tyres sitting on your Shop rack are also fitted light Supersports 600 cc class, so use your head with what you pay for. Because they are black and round, are they really the correct one's for you?
So The Magic carpet ride from day 1 on fitting till it was sold.
Stuff Honda Marketing's tyre choice, but even as the PR4 ST may not been made then, Dunlop or someone else had or could have made a better tyre for that bike.
NO new heavier spring needed.

Rob.

#12 ·
It's not so much the spring rate as a rider on these bikes unless you are sub 150lbs or north of 230lbs. It is more important to sort out the horrific rebound the OEM rear shock suffers with! This is what throws you out of the seat on bumper roads and and looses you traction in corners.

Very few of us push a GSX S1000 on the road to overwhelm the standard rear spring under load to stress the rear tyre beyond its capability!

This is why many change the rear shock for an alternative without compression damping for something that gives far more control over the rebound issue the OEM shock suffers with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.