GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Tires 190/55 = Bent license plate ?!

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  frog4aday 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just switched to Dunlop Roadsmart 3 190/55 and ended up with the license plate like this (see picture) after some "not so hard" acceleration.

Didn't change suspension settings and this never happened with 190/50 tires. I have to admit that I do have a fender eliminator + Denali B6 Auxiliary LED License Plate Brake Light.

Any suggestion/ideas to avoid this?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You need to pull (bend) the bottom of your plate out toward the rear a bit more AND add some more preload to your rear shock. I had the same 'issue' on an FZ-1 after doing a fender eliminator on it. Everything was fine until I put a Ventura bag on the bike and went to visit a friend in Tennessee. Hit a bump and...plate got caught and bent like yours. A little bending of the plate out of the way and some more pre-load dialed in and problem was resolved for good.

#13 ·
I was wondering the same thing. I'm assuming no news is good news?
More pre-load and bending the plate back and up a bit will 'fix it' so probably not much more to talk about.
I felt the same as the OP when my FZ-1 plate got bent. It just didn't seem likely/possible. But there it was. Schizen happens. You tinker with what the OEM built, there is always the potential for unintended consequences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.