GSXS 1000 Forum banner

New to Forum NZ

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  temporarykiwi 
#1 ·
Hi just picking up gsxs1000 on Wednesday with 19k on clock. Only mod is Yoshi slipon, first impressions were good absolutely love the motor but the throttle is very sensitive. Anyway, first thing was to dial most of the throttle slack out and I checked tps in dealer mode which was out so I corrected that and it seems a lot smoother now but still has a little snatch but not too bad. I've ordered a Nitron rear shock as the stocker is far to soft and is a POS. Look forward to discussing the bike further. Cheers.

#5 ·
Hey Kneedown69, good to have you here! Sounds like you are well on your way to make the GSX-S 'perfect'. Two biggest issues are the shock (you are fixing that) and some folks have 'touchy' throttles and you've already done the two obvious/easy things (take out the throttle slack and make sure the TPS is set properly.) If that doesn't make it good enough, there is flashing the ECU (not sure who you see about that in NZ) or some people get the throttle tamer so the initial bit of throttle roll-on is 'softer' and more gradual.

I agree with you - the engine is nice and the transmission is very slick. The bike is sportbike quick but 'standard' comfortable. It's a nice combo.

#6 ·
Thanks mate, just went for quick blast bit earlier with some mates, the more you ride it the more you get used to the throttle response, I'm used to riding litre bikes so I have learnt to be smooth getting back on the gas. As far as ecu flashing goes there are a couple of companies that do it her in NZ but I'm probably going to sort the suspension first get some decent tyres and take it from there. I might try a different throttle cam I've read the new Katana has a different cam apparently so might check it out. I've gone overboard I the past trying to chase hp but I'm more about ridebility now days and having a smooth bike that handles. I see a lot gut the cat on here but does it really make a lot of difference besides noise?. Thanks

#8 ·
Hi, nice to meet you I'm in Rotorua so it's good to know there's someone in Paeroa that does the ecu tuning, could you pass on his details on to me I wouldn't mind have a talk. Did you say you made your own headers?, For the time been I'm going to leave the forks stock and see how it goes with the Nitron rear, did Kerry Dukic do your forks?.

#9 ·
Hey KneeDown69, you certainly have your priorities straight. Fix the suspension first and just enjoy every ride. When the bike is already cranking out 140+ rwhp 'stock' (and weighs less than 460 lbs) most people don't "need" more power. But the rear shock is complete crap, so sorting that makes the bike so much better for everyday riding.

I like the idea of the Katana throttle cam if you feel the fueling is still too abrupt after riding it for a while. As you said, once you ride the bike for a bit, you 'recalibrate' your throttle hand and all is fine (for most people.) I had a CBR929 that was pretty 'abrupt' coming off closed throttle so I learned a long time ago how to 'live' with that. But I find the GSX-S1000 to be pretty smooth. Not CBR954 smooth, but very good once you get adjusted to it.

More power can always be had, but how fast can you really go outside of a track? Money into suspension is always the better 'first step' and you seem to get that. It's hard to explain it to people that haven't had a bike with good suspension before. In the twisty bits, a good handling bike will be faster than a higher horsepower bike with crap suspension. Just the way it is.

#10 ·
Hey KneeDown69, you certainly have your priorities straight. Fix the suspension first and just enjoy every ride. When the bike is already cranking out 140+ rwhp 'stock' (and weighs less than 460 lbs) most people don't "need" more power. But the rear shock is complete crap, so sorting that makes the bike so much better for everyday riding.

I like the idea of the Katana throttle cam if you feel the fueling is still too abrupt after riding it for a while. As you said, once you ride the bike for a bit, you 'recalibrate' your throttle hand and all is fine (for most people.) I had a CBR929 that was pretty 'abrupt' coming off closed throttle so I learned a long time ago how to 'live' with that. But I find the GSX-S1000 to be pretty smooth. Not CBR954 smooth, but very good once you get adjusted to it.

More power can always be had, but how fast can you really go outside of a track? Money into suspension is always the better 'first step' and you seem to get that. It's hard to explain it to people that haven't had a bike with good suspension before. In the twisty bits, a good handling bike will be faster than a higher horsepower bike with crap suspension. Just the way it is.
Hi, totally agree mate, what good is hp if it handles like poo. I have always invested in suspension before go fast bits for me the gsx goes like a cut cat stock, I'm just going to ride it, get a good setup and enjoy. Really appreciate your advice.

#13 ·
Another Kiwi on a GSXS here. Hawkes Bay based.
I bought a just run in(28 Thousand km) 2015 F model but have changed out the tires (Pirelli Angel), added KTech rear shock, added 20mm bar risers and adjusted most things to suit my shape and size....and now am about due for the second oil change in my ownership. Getting the fairing off is a trick.

Now I just ride....mostly with mates from the HB Ulysses club.

Maybe there could be a GSXS meet up somewhere in the North Island?