23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do not waste your money on a race can

Just changed my can to a race can. No difference at all in volume. Even with the can not fitted to the collector box it is still quite. The restriction in the sound/exhaust is in the collector box which goes all the way into the down pipes from the engine. The only way to get a race sound exhaust is to get rid of the collector box which means a whole new system form the front pipes back. Very disappointed. If your thinking of changing your exhaust can to a race one, do not waste your money, the sound will be no different !!!!
tonyt and hara1048 like this.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for posting, I kind of figured that, darn cat is to blame, I reckon a full system (and tune) is in order to really open this bike up
gixxerboy09 likes this.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Hang on, some of the different make cans sound ok on the Youtube postings...What one have you got...?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Arrow headers which can fit the original can too. The original can has nothing in it so would sound like a race can ! I would like to know what happens to the wiring which goes into the standard collector box at the moment if you did replace the pipes and collector with the Arrow headers part number 71628MI
Old 10-22-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Hang on, some of the different make cans sound ok on the Youtube postings...What one have you got...?
I don't know how the youtube ones sound so loud for, they must have the cat box removed or cat smashed out !! Take off your original can for proof and you will see what I mean. It makes no difference with the end can on or off. Its strange. Really pis--d me off having wasted money on a straight through race can. Mines a GPR. Baffles and DB killer out !

Last edited by leenineplus; 10-22-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I hope there will be a full system with a high flow cat. Never seems happen though, never a street legal option for full systems on bikes with cats
Old 10-22-2015, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I think Leenineplus has a good point- the last section (slip on) probably only does a really small amount of silencing and has more to do with tone, as the cat and under body exhaust is the main silencer-
These lower units have 2-3 changes of direction internally for silencing in various baffle sections.

One thing I noticed looking into our standard exhaust outlet that it is almost straight though but the final outlet pipe has an internal downward facing bend to act as a bit of a final "dB killer".
The box itself has the usual perf inside but if someone was interested in experimenting-- some volume gain might be cheaply available by either multiple drilling holes (with a long drill) through back face of the bend. Another option could be to use a Demel tool with a flex shaft and cutting disc and remove the whole internal bend? Would need slitting first, twisting as you go the be able to pull it out.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
The best scenario is to buy an EEC approved exhaust with removable DB killer. US/ and EU spec exhaust are different as far as i know and you can buy exhaust like Yoshimura with seal units.

If your going to go down the line of a slip on the Yoshimura site advises the Alpha series in the US and the R-11.

For example if you follow this link you will see the power chart (on the right) for the R-11 for the Japanese (JMCA approved) market with no removable db killer Yoshimura product site : GSX-S1000/F - SLIP-ON R-11 SINGLE EXIT : JMCA APPROVED

And here is exactly the same exhaust but for the European market Yoshimura product site : GSX-S1000/F - SLIP-ON R-11 SINGLE EXIT : EEC APPROVED

on a side note i wonder if the exhaust valve system in the mid section of the exhaust would keep everything quiet lower down the rev range?

Last edited by blueglue; 10-23-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
The exhaust valve will definitely be effecting the sound. I removed all of that on my BKing and made a big difference.

Full system is the way to go I think
Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leenineplus View Post
Very disappointed. If your thinking of changing your exhaust can to a race one, do not waste your money, the sound will be no different !!!!
It's by when I was joined in this forum that I say this thing....
The 90% of our bike's sound is made by air filter....
The only change of can don't change sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in