LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headers/cat delete for alpha slip on

Hi Guys,

So I bought a alpha slip on for my gsxs1000. I am now thinking about getting a pcv and dyno tune and thought I may aswell get a set of headers and air filter aswell.

I emailed my local dealer he doesnt think there are any headers that will fit, not sure why.

Has anyone else done the same thing? I am in Australia but a UK company have a set of yoshi headers to fit the r11 slip on. Is this the same size as the alpha? Is my model the same as US model or UK?

Has anyone done a arrow headers with alpha slip on combo?

I also emailed serco the aus distributor for yoshi and got hardly any help.

Also are there any good cat delete kits out there?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks

Dan
post #2 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Just a thought here but you could always take your headers in to a stainless fabricator and have them cut the and make the link pipe to suit, it may even save a couple of dollars but I'm not sure the difference of the performance of the stock headers in comparison but I'm pretty sure it would be minimal if any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #3 of 14 Old 08-25-2016, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
As far as I know, the Arrow headers and also the Yoshi headers should both fit the Alpha. I would say the Arrow definitely fit (since they fit the stock end can) and the Yoshi maybe.

If you want to know for sure, I would email Yoshi: [email protected]

post #4 of 14 Old 08-26-2016, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Arrow Headers and with the Alpha can seems to work as you are able to use the stock can, and since the alpha can mounts to the muffler box without any changes on the muffler box end i'd say this is correct.

I'm thinking of using the stock headers, cutting just before the valve and making this into a join. This way if i get issues with the boys in blue, i can always just put the stock system back on. In it's place though, i'm going to be looking at a barrel type muffle that i can put in that spot so that it's not obnoxiously loud, but still has "free flow" throughout the system.

2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 Blue
post #5 of 14 Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for ur input fellas,

Im still unsure, over $1000 on headers. I need to know for sure but can't get a definate answer. So my local dealer told me

"Yoshimura is manufactured in two different countries, that being the USA and Japan. Same brand, very different products??and prices. USA have no full system where as you can get a full system from Japan. Will the headers, which are not listed as a separate part, fit onto a USA manufactured muffler? More than likely not. Why don?t the USA make a full system? Because they probably didn?t gain enough out of what they manufactured OR the standard headers are good enough for them."

The serco the australian yoshi supplier told me "Thank you for your interest in Yoshimura products, unfortunately Yoshimura USA only produce a slip on for your model."

Then I was talking to a company in the uk called calsports they told me "The Yoshimura headers are for the R11 only I'm afraid, if you have the Alpha
then these won't work with that end can"
"Yes the Alpha fits the stock headers. Yoshimura themselves sell these headers as only fitting the R11. You?re welcome to purchase these headers with the understanding that they won?t bolt on to your existing end can and would be non-returnable. "

He then replied after me making a few comments,

"The headers do away with the link pipe on the R11 (it uses this to attach to the OE cat box), the Alpha has a welded on link pipe ergo they will not work together."

I mean, all this just doesnt add up. I have never put aftermarket headers on a road bike before so this is a bit new to me. I need some advice and help here

Thanks

Dan
post #6 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangriffin87 View Post
Thanks for ur input fellas,

Im still unsure, over $1000 on headers. I need to know for sure but can't get a definate answer. So my local dealer told me

"Yoshimura is manufactured in two different countries, that being the USA and Japan. Same brand, very different products??and prices. USA have no full system where as you can get a full system from Japan. Will the headers, which are not listed as a separate part, fit onto a USA manufactured muffler? More than likely not. Why don?t the USA make a full system? Because they probably didn?t gain enough out of what they manufactured OR the standard headers are good enough for them."

The serco the australian yoshi supplier told me "Thank you for your interest in Yoshimura products, unfortunately Yoshimura USA only produce a slip on for your model."

Then I was talking to a company in the uk called calsports they told me "The Yoshimura headers are for the R11 only I'm afraid, if you have the Alpha
then these won't work with that end can"
"Yes the Alpha fits the stock headers. Yoshimura themselves sell these headers as only fitting the R11. You?re welcome to purchase these headers with the understanding that they won?t bolt on to your existing end can and would be non-returnable. "

He then replied after me making a few comments,

"The headers do away with the link pipe on the R11 (it uses this to attach to the OE cat box), the Alpha has a welded on link pipe ergo they will not work together."

I mean, all this just doesnt add up. I have never put aftermarket headers on a road bike before so this is a bit new to me. I need some advice and help here

Thanks

Dan
The yoshi headers, are custom sized for the R11 can. The R11 can does NOT fit the stock muffler box AFAIK. The alpha can uses the stock muffler box pipe sizing, thus does not require it.

The reason yoshi USA doesn't sell the full system is more than likely regulations/emissions controls. It's too loud, and has no cat in it.

The arrow headers, use the stock can piping size, THUS, works with the alpha can.

2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 Blue
post #7 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your help there, so what else would I need? I am probably going to buy the headers asap. What other kit should I buy? Something to replace the old exhaust valve or trick it? Is the aus version of this bike us or eu? Is there any differnces apart from emissions regs?
post #8 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Keep the slip on, take you bike to a motorcycle exhaust shop and have the cat and collector box removed and have a stainless pipe welded in.
Im having mine done in brisbane on wednesday for 300. Using the standard muffler. And keeping the exhaust valve.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seangsxs1000 View Post
Keep the slip on, take you bike to a motorcycle exhaust shop and have the cat and collector box removed and have a stainless pipe welded in.
Im having mine done in brisbane on wednesday for 300. Using the standard muffler. And keeping the exhaust valve.
I'm interested in how this turns out. Throw up some photos if you can.

Getting up it for the rent
post #10 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No worries, wont be till next weekend though. i say good by to the bike for a few days after i drop it off for some tyres and the exhaust.

He recently did another gsxs1000, removed the collector box, cat and set valve. yoshie lip on, pc5 and a custom dyno tune, aparently he had a 20 hp increase, i didn't see a chart myself but if its true, very good value for money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page