User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-20-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Self made custom GSX-S1000 step exhaust.

I waited and waited but a performance step header for our motorcycle never evolved. So... I made a custom step exhaust for my GSX-S1000.

The exhaust tubing is 18 gauge 304 stainless. I also have Akrapovic muffler, springs, and exhaust flanges.

The size of the tubing starting at the head and ending at the titanium/carbon fiber Akrapovic muffler is in this order: 1.5" to 1.63" to 1.75" to 2.38.

Each Primary tube slip fits into a collector and is held by two retaining springs.

I ordered some pre-bent and straight tubing. I did make a custom band saw and tubing holder to make all my cuts as precise as possible.

All of my Tig welds were completed with back-purged Argon gas.

As for the Akrapovic titanium/carbon fiber muffler, it fits a 2007 GSX-R1000. I cut 6" off the factory length to shorten it, and then I installed new pop rivets to complete its modification.

The total weight of my exhaust with the Akropovic muffler is 10.8 pounds. The complete stock exhaust weighed just over 22 pounds.

For a muffler installed exhaust, the sound is very deep and intimidating.

For an open header exhaust, the sound is very deep, very intimidating, and intoxicating. Goosebumbs and an "Ear-to-Ear-Grin" at 8,000+ RPMs! Just saying.

Now... I need a new base tune, because the A/F ratio is way off.

Next... I need a tune for my Nitrous. I cannot wait to get the motorcycle all tuned up.

Currently, I am undecided on installing the Akropovic sticker. I could have buffed/polish out the exhaust, but I don't see the point in a polished exhaust.

Thanks to "chr1s" for helping me purchase some Akropovic parts.

So far, my custom exhaust seems to be everything I wanted and needed for my motorcycle.

chr1s, Martin, lee711 and 8 others like this.

GSX-S1000 ABS 2016 Red\Black

Yoshimura fender delete / Suzuki Front Fairing / Dynojet PowerCommander V / Dynojet Ignition Module / Dynojet Shifter / Dynojet AutoTune / POD-300, Nitrous 40HP Dry shot.

Custom built: Stepped header exhaust / modified Akrapovic titanium-carbon fiber muffler / Suzuki instrument cluster RED backlight / Dynojet POD-300 RED backlight / Headlight halo RED / NOS linear indicator / progressive tach shift light / handlebar switch box for NOS & Halo.

Dallas, Texas

Last edited by GSX-S1K; 12-24-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #2 of 22 Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Wow nice work, I bet that took some time and patience, I plan on doing my own mods soon also but not to that extreme, I am planning to cut the cat in half and hollowing it so I have a two piece exhaust then it can go back together for now so I can build it over time from the cat back so I will not have to remove the headers again, I'm thinking of making a tubular muffler underneath in place of the big box and cat still using the original end can to keep it original looking so it looks like it still complies and so it's not too loud

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #3 of 22 Old 12-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Very nice! A lot of effort, but looks well worth it in the outcome. Keen to hear what your figures end up being once she's tuned!

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R

post #4 of 22 Old 12-20-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
Wow nice work, I bet that took some time and patience, I plan on doing my own mods soon also but not to that extreme, I am planning to cut the cat in half and hollowing it so I have a two piece exhaust then it can go back together for now so I can build it over time from the cat back so I will not have to remove the headers again, I'm thinking of making a tubular muffler underneath in place of the big box and cat still using the original end can to keep it original looking so it looks like it still complies and so it's not too loud
Thanks.

To build the bandsaw and tubing holder, mock up the pipes, and finishing the Tig welds took me one week to complete. I worked on this project everyday after work and and one full weekend to complete. 7 days from start to finish.

I built the exhaust for my True Street 1989 Mustang way back in 2003. That prior experience made building this motorcycle exhaust easier.

I was rusty on my Tig welding and I had to practice welding to remember the correct technique.

My custom bandsaw is small table top saw with a Milwaukee band saw bolted to it. I had to make a custom frame and drill the holes to attach the band saw to the table saw. I also made the custom tube holder to cut the tubing. The holder slides in the grove in the table top to keep the tubing square with the band saw.

The tube holder is adjustable and rotates complementary to the band saw blade to keep all cuts correct.

Yoshimura fender delete / Suzuki Front Fairing / Dynojet PowerCommander V / Dynojet Ignition Module / Dynojet Shifter / Dynojet AutoTune / POD-300, Nitrous 40HP Dry shot.

Custom built: Stepped header exhaust / modified Akrapovic titanium-carbon fiber muffler / Suzuki instrument cluster RED backlight / Dynojet POD-300 RED backlight / Headlight halo RED / NOS linear indicator / progressive tach shift light / handlebar switch box for NOS & Halo.

Dallas, Texas

Last edited by GSX-S1K; 12-24-2016 at 10:20 AM.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESXB0Y View Post
Very nice! A lot of effort, but looks well worth it in the outcome. Keen to hear what your figures end up being once she's tuned!
Thanks.

I'm also ready to see the numbers.

Dallas, Texas
post #6 of 22 Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
The talent level ..wow. How did you decide on dimensions?

I limit it to that one question out of the 50,000 Id like to ask.
bgagnon likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I used a friends exhaust modeling computer program, and I did some research too. The program takes into account different factors about the engine/head/cam specs, header configuration, fuel octane, and if nitrous is used.

Once all the information is loaded into the program, it can calculate a recommended dimensions for the header, step tubing diameter, collector size, and more.

I don't mind sharing the calculated dimensions I was given.
bgagnon likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-21-2016, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX-S1K View Post
I used a friends exhaust modeling computer program, and I did some research too. The program takes into account different factors about the engine/head/cam specs, header configuration, fuel octane, and if nitrous is used.

Once all the information is loaded into the program, it can calculate a recommended dimensions for the header, step tubing diameter, collector size, and more.

I don't mind sharing the calculated dimensions I was given.

I have calculated my build also but the formula is simply my ability

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #9 of 22 Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome job... very talented, maybe you should go into production with them
landy10 and bgagnon like this.

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #10 of 22 Old 12-21-2016, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Question 2........Based on what you had to do. The time it took, materials involved, etc.

If a person buys a full exhaust from Arrow Akra, etc, is it priced fairly? Figuring revzilla wants @ 1500.00 for what you've built. Yours looks better, but we'll pretend they are equal quality.

I wnays, your project depresses the **** out of me. Why cant I live next door to "guy who builds his own custom motorcycle exhausts?" instead of what I get.....
R1KSU likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page