post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Muffler Box Removal

This is how I removed my muffler box.
Buy:
(1) 3"-to-2.25" stainless exhaust reducer 3" long $21 amazon (Stainless Headers Mfg SHM-2.25T-3SS)
(2) stainless flanges for 2.25" (57mm) pipe 1/2" thick $38 siliconeintakes.com (EXH009536)
(1) 2.25" stainless elbow 45 degree 2" long $25 amazon (TS Performance cxracing 10611001910)
(1) 2.25" stainless tubing at least 1' long ?
(1) stainless 304 flat bar 5.25" X 1.5" X 1/8" thick $21 speedymetals.com
(1) 2.25" chrome angle cut exhaust tip heavy guage (9") $22 ebay (seller: shellyjarrett)
(1) Servo Buddy for a 2005 GSX-R1000 $57 ebay (seller: wickedracingstore)

Remove header assembly (Be sure to use cloth protection as the manual states, or you will scratch the tank like I did)
Cut off the large muffler box with a chop saw
Cut off the right mounting ear from the muffler box
Cut a 1 5/8" spacer (from the stainless tubing)
Weld the reducer, spacer, and flange #1 onto the header (The spacer should protrude through flange #1 and half way into flange #2 )
Make the bracket by welding the ear onto the 5.25" flat bar
Bolt the bracket on
Bolt the header on
Weld the bracket onto the reducer and spacer, just in front of flange #1
Cut a 6" spacer for the exhaust tip (from the stainless tubing)
Expand the spacer's diameter so it fits nicely inside the tip (the tip is larger in diameter than the spacer)
Weld the spacer to the tip, leaving 1" of the spacer sticking out of the tip
Mark location of weld of flange #2 , 45 degree bend, and tip (make sure you mark them correctly)
Weld them together (be careful not to let the elbow protrude more than half way inside the flange) (dont weld the elbow on backwards!)
Bolt the 2 flanges together

What I should have done:
The first spacer should have been 3 5/8" long, so the bracket could be vertical. This would put less stress on the bracket welds. It would have put the tip closer to the rear tire, but there is enough clearance.

Exhaust Valve:
After reading comments on the web about the exhaust valve, I think it is there only to reduce noise. I do not think it is neccessary.
If you turn the key on after the exhaust valve cables are disconnected, one of the cables retracts. This makes it impossible to connect the cables back without disassembling the servo motor to extend the cable (which is very difficult).
BTW, if the cables are disconnected, and the spring is removed, the exhaust force will keep the valve closed! The spring will keep it open if its left on and the cables are disconnected.
I did not connect the cables back up to the exhaust valve. Therefore the dash displayed an FI error.
To eliminate the error, I bought an exhaust valve FI error eliminator (Servo Buddy) from ebay for $57.00 (Also fits a 2005 GSX-R1000)

Sound:
I sold my 2004 GSX-R1000 just before I did this mod. I had previously removed the muffler and put a straight pipe on it. But I kept the exhaust valve hooked up. It did not have a CAT. Therefore the only thing in the exhaust path on my 2004 was the valve. It was very loud at full throttle. How did the sound of my 2004 compare to this S1000? Well, the S1000 is not quite as loud, but it has a much deeper tone. Honestly, I liked the sound of the 2004 better. Not because it was a tad bit louder, but because I think it had a better tone. I am glad I didnt remove the CAT on this bike, because it would not have made it very much louder. Plus, I didnt want to change the mapping.

Snatching throttle on rough roads:
It was really bad before this mod, and it is still really bad. I plan on trying to improve it later.

Top Speed:
I hit a top speed of 155 MPH (as indicated on the dash) before this mod. I also did it after this mod. Of course this mod did not affect the top speed. The gearing prevents it from going faster. It has plenty of power to go faster. I plan on changing the gearing to go faster, and I will post my results later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9639small.jpg (203.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9642small.jpg (197.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9648small.jpg (181.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9652small.jpg (178.5 KB, 173 views)
post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Nice work.

I did something similar as a link pipe, but retained valve and stock rear silencer, so exhast note is still reasonable. I retained Cat as others posted mod was loud without Cat and fueling seemed affected.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-12-2017, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
not bad.....if you can tolerate some criticism though.....I would file, grind or at least paint that exhaust hanger......It looks unfinished enough to clash with the well finished rest of bike...

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Hi PrescottAz,

I am thinking of doing the same mod, but also considering removing the CAT. It appears like you cut the muffler box off right at the joint with that 3" dia. pipe connected to the headers, on which the exhaust valve is located. Does the CAT sit in that 3" dia. pipe to the right of the muffler box? Do you think the CAT could be removed without removing the headers?

So is the only improvement the sound if you only remove the muffler box and (and not the CAT) and I assume a reduction in weight?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, the cat is located in the 3" pipe. When I cut the 3" pipe, I cut part of the cat tubing off, because it extends past the point that I cut it. But I did not cut off any cat elements. The elements are about 1 to 2" closer to the header, so I did not harm the cat at all. I kept the cat because I didnt want to change the mapping. You cant pull the cat out of the header. It is welded to the inside of the header. If you only remove the muffler box, it makes it much louder. I estimate the cat by itself quiets the exhaust by about 10%, which is not very much. The muffler box is very heavy, maybe 20 lbs. I didnt weigh it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page