• 2 Post By YawnY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust popping.

Hey guys. So I have my 16 gsxs and yesterday I blocked off the pair system using the ball bearing technique (I actually used a 270 bullet casing as it fit snug in the hose) and reloaded the Uk map on my pcV. Went for a ride today and found my m4 exhaust is popping alot on decel. I'm hoping the auto tune will sort this out, but has anyone else had popping and a stumble in the lower rpms in 1st and 2nd? Were you able to adjust the pcV to smooth it out and stop the popping.
post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
popping is actually a normal function of the bike (to some degree) and "tuning" it out with the PCV map is technically detuning since it is a normal function of the bike. Many of those popping sounds were there before but are disguised by OEM CAT and end can.
You can minimize it by getting rid of the xtra air from the pair valve as you did with the bullet casing. I initially did similar, but to be honest, it wasn't until i installed the block off plates that i noticed a significant reduction in the popping.
another observation I have made is that the bike seems to be popping less over time......(Makes me wonder if the ECU is learning my driving style though i have no idea if it is even capable of that)

Also make sure your header bolts are tight......when I changed my headers 2-3 of the bolts were only finger tight
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2017, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Do you have the baffle/DB insert installed. When i put my system it sounded fantastic with out the baffle but didn't run well at low revs even with a remap. Baffle installed it ran much better
TheDude likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have the baffle installed. I had to put it in as I got a written complaint from the condo board that my bike was way to loud in the parking garage.
Nfredriksen and TheDude like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2017, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
I had the same exact experience. from what I can tell from researching the original K5 engine, these engines are extremely sensitive to changes in back pressure. before installing my baffle, the RPM were all over the place when idling at low speeds. I installed it at the suggestion of some K5 GSXR owners.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YawnY View Post
Hey guys. So I have my 16 gsxs and yesterday I blocked off the pair system using the ball bearing technique (I actually used a 270 bullet casing as it fit snug in the hose) and reloaded the Uk map on my pcV. Went for a ride today and found my m4 exhaust is popping alot on decel. I'm hoping the auto tune will sort this out, but has anyone else had popping and a stumble in the lower rpms in 1st and 2nd? Were you able to adjust the pcV to smooth it out and stop the popping.

The auto tune and fuel cut play havoc together i found, i think the fuel cut switches off the PCV and then when the fuel comes back on it must throw a heap of fuel back down as mine would make a Big Bang at 3200 and/or 2500 when the fuel cut turns off.
I was able to 99% eliminate it with negative values in the 0% throttle column around them revs, I can post the values if you like.
Also if you are using an auto tune I found the best was to tune was to only use it during acceleration to tune, I can post some more info on this also if you like also.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page