7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trying my hand at Tuning

Picked up some Arrow Headers, K&N filter, and Woolich tuning software with the O2 Logbox. Never done any tuning before in my life, but I figured I'd try it out and see how much damage I could do. No access to a dyno, so I'll just be driving around and using the O2 logs and seat of the pants dyno for feedback. Anyone have any suggestions, tips or tricks for a first time tune? Also, I can't remember who this is on the forum, but how the **** do you get your gsxs to power wheelie like this in 1st? Is my elevation at 4500 ft really robbing this much power? I'm 160 lbs and can't get it to come up like that... Hoping the tune and headers will give it a little more punch in the mid to get that front up.

https://youtu.be/SeNfsRwoNzI
Old 07-27-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
He has a different exhaust so probably has an ecu flash also, this gives a big boost about the revs where the front wheel lifts, mine will lift in first if I open/close the throttle but wont lift like his I have a decat, just waiting for the ecu flash. Good luck with yours

Yam FS1E
Hon CB100
Hon CB200
Suz X7
Suz GS550E
Suz GSX750
Yam 350YPVS
Hon VFR750
Yam RD350(air)
Kaw GT550
Kaw ZZR600
Yam FZ1S
Suz Burgman 650
Hon VFR1200 DCT (Don Guhl ecu flash)
Suz GSXS1000-F-Touring Killed buy a car
Suz GSXR1000 K7
Old 07-27-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well that's what I'm hoping for after the headers and a tune... those clutch ups in his 2nd gear look more effortless and lower rpms than mine do in 1st. I'll keep you posted on the results of newb tuning. So far I went in and unified the ignition for all the gears. Seemed to make a slight difference in 1st, 2nd.. but not as much as I was hoping. It'll be interesting to see what the Wideband and logbox say tonight after a couple of pulls.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
I have similar setup.
Arrow + Mivv Edge + Airbox"mod".
Logbox and some tuning done.
So far I have seen from the log the few times I do a full throttle pull in the first three gears, that there is no need to add fuel at rpm > 6-7k.
It runs very rich stock, and the "open" exhaust/filter do not give *that* much better flow/power.
What I have done is to lean out the IAP quite a bit. The result is just as good mileage as before, but without throttle issues.

My bike does powerwheelies with ease in 1st. Even easier than what that brazialian guy demonstrates.
It also does wheelies without clutch assistance i 2nd, but remember that a full tank vs almost empty makes quite a big difference.

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
Old 07-27-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. On my software, it says I have a Map 0, and Map 1 to choose from when I'm looking at the fuel or ignition maps on Woolich. Any idea what the difference is? Can't seem to find any info on that.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Probably not standard gearing, that will lift it up quicker.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Slower and Slower likes this.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNews338 View Post
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. On my software, it says I have a Map 0, and Map 1 to choose from when I'm looking at the fuel or ignition maps on Woolich. Any idea what the difference is? Can't seem to find any info on that.
The bike runs on the 0 map, I asked Woolich about what pins on the ECU for a map switch but they were unable to positively identify the map switch pins. The 1 map is pretty much useless until you have a switch to change maps.

One thing you need to do is change the STP map for 6th gear and bring the top rev openings back to 100 (11200 rpm and up). I have also got my STP opening a bit more agressively and are at 100 from 6000rpm across all of the gears, although I am yet to notice any significant improvement.

Try not to change the default settings on autotune, as increasing the maximum change % and autotune strength is not necessarily a good thing.
As far as AFR goes, I have played with a few different target AFR's but currently I am tuning back to Woolich stock AFR. Once I am happy with that and have a reliable tune, I will likely tune the TPS to 13.2 across the board.

One question for you... do you get CHEC appearing on your speedo at regular intervals? With the log box plugged in, it appears about every 5 mins for 1-2 sec. Without the log box it doesn't come up at all

Honda MB50
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB550
Suzuki GSX750EX
Harley Davidson XL1200R
Suzuki GSX-S1000FA

Last edited by KiwiJaZ; 07-27-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiJaZ View Post
The bike runs on the 0 map, I asked Woolich about what pins on the ECU for a map switch but they were unable to positively identify the map switch pins. The
<snipped>
One question for you... do you get CHEC appearing on your speedo at regular intervals? With the log box plugged in, it appears about every 5 mins for 1-2 sec. Without the log box it doesn't come up at all
Hi Jaz,
You asked the same question back in April this year or last, so I guess your stumped ?
I don't have the wiring diagram of the bike but there was one posted here last year or know that you have wired in this Auto tune, but as you probably do know CHEC points towards the side stand down when trying to start up in gear.

Obviously the bike is not konking out, and the only issue is the CHEC appearing but I am speculating that some aftermarket wiring mods is back feeding into the ignition original bike circuitry when the log box rewrites the program.
The side stand circuit and the ignition (pre esy start anyway) had a couple of diodes to stop back feeds and this is where perhaps there is a problem connection now ?
A 100% guess on my part.

Rob.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi Jaz,
You asked the same question back in April this year or last, so I guess your stumped ?
I don't have the wiring diagram of the bike but there was one posted here last year or know that you have wired in this Auto tune, but as you probably do know CHEC points towards the side stand down when trying to start up in gear.

Obviously the bike is not konking out, and the only issue is the CHEC appearing but I am speculating that some aftermarket wiring mods is back feeding into the ignition original bike circuitry when the log box rewrites the program.
The side stand circuit and the ignition (pre esy start anyway) had a couple of diodes to stop back feeds and this is where perhaps there is a problem connection now ?
A 100% guess on my part.

Rob.
Yeah thanks Rob, I have the service manual and the pin recommended by Woolich appears to trace back to TC on the wiring diagram.
Not overly bothered with the CHEC fault as it doesn't impact on the running of the bike but curious if any other Woolich users have experienced it as well. Overall I am quite happy with the Woolich product and the service I have received from them.
Slower and Slower likes this.

Honda MB50
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB550
Suzuki GSX750EX
Harley Davidson XL1200R
Suzuki GSX-S1000FA
Old 08-01-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Haven't noticed what you're talking about yet with the chec popping up. But how much fuel did you have to add right off the bat? AFR showed that I was running pretty lean with no fueling changes at around 18-20 with the arrow headers and k&n. I keep adding fuel to get it down to 14 , and it pulls pretty hard, but is it excessive at about 12-15% on the lower rpms? If I had an exhaust leak, I would probably never be able to get it to show a rich condition right? It would always be sucking in small amounts of air no matter how much more fuel i added. Am I right in thinking this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in