Fer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Anybody removed cat, but not mufler?

Hi

I am going to weld in a wideband O2 sensor bung, and i was wondering to open up the exhaust and remove the SET valve and cat internals. BUT keeping the under the bike mufler, as I am not a fan of a to loud exhaust.

Does it make any sense? I figure the cat must make som back pressure? The SET valve will be disabled wia woolich software, so I figure i can dump it entirely.

--
Best regards from Denmark

Tommy Fer
post #2 of 18 Old 04-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer View Post
Hi

I am going to weld in a wideband O2 sensor bung, and i was wondering to open up the exhaust and remove the SET valve and cat internals. BUT keeping the under the bike mufler, as I am not a fan of a to loud exhaust.

Does it make any sense? I figure the cat must make som back pressure? The SET valve will be disabled wia woolich software, so I figure i can dump it entirely.

My understanding is that the cat Extends about an inch to the muffler box. It's funny, I want to more or less do the exact opposite you want to do. Was reading an article about the GSXR 1000... that thing has like two or threeset valves in it.... doubt they are all there for noise reduction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 04-02-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi

I removed mine and it made a small difference to the sound , it doesn't have as much restriction as the muffler box as that thing has chambers the air has to go around and the cats straight through, if I had another bike the same I wouldn't even worry about doing it.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue

post #4 of 18 Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hi

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #5 of 18 Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Fer

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you Will leave it in then.

--

Tommy Fer
post #6 of 18 Old 04-03-2018, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Changing the original exhaust manifolds by removing the valve and the catalyst does not make sense, especially if you do not want a noisy exhaust because the one that stops the sound is just the catalyst and a little bit the valve too. So in my opinion, or you get a set of aftermarket exhaust manifolds but you know they'll make a big noise or take a tube to modify your originals by removing the catalyst but keeping the exhaust valve.
sangedegsx likes this.

Gassssssss........................
post #7 of 18 Old 04-03-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Fer

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.81 View Post
Changing the original exhaust manifolds by removing the valve and the catalyst does not make sense, especially if you do not want a noisy exhaust because the one that stops the sound is just the catalyst and a little bit the valve too. So in my opinion, or you get a set of aftermarket exhaust manifolds but you know they'll make a big noise or take a tube to modify your originals by removing the catalyst but keeping the exhaust valve.
Is this an assumption or something you know? I am quite sure the cat takes som noise, and also the SET valve (Under 4000rpm or so) But when you watch videos of modified headers, with SET valve and catalyst, but no mufler. They are noisy.

My bet is that at least 70% of the sound dampening is done in the mufler.
Beaker likes this.

--

Tommy Fer
post #8 of 18 Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
When I had my woolich flash done the set valve was de-activated in the ecu so it is now in a permanent open state with the cables disconnected ( I will remove all the gubbins once i get chance ) the exhaust sound is definitely deeper and a bit louder ( the airbox baffle plate was also removed ). The cat is still in place and the stock can on the end, the tuner advised that if I go down the de-cat route then a stubby can would be a bit to loud / tiresome and to go for something a little longer just to tone it down a touch.

We're here for a good time, not a long time. (woolich, PCv, K&N, T-Rex, HM plus SS)
post #9 of 18 Old 04-03-2018, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Changed stock headers and cat for arrow headers. Went to a shop and welded the o2 sensor bung. Kept stock exhaust since changing it wonít give any extra performance but only weight savings.

Have a power commander with auto tune reading and updating the map on the fly.

Results. Bike is butter smooth. Tons of extra hp. Louder since the cat is the only thing keeping noise down.

Please letís not get back into the myth that back pressure is needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 18 Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.81 View Post
Is this an assumption or something you know? I am quite sure the cat takes som noise, and also the SET valve (Under 4000rpm or so) But when you watch videos of modified headers, with SET valve and catalyst, but no mufler. They are noisy.

My bet is that at least 70% of the sound dampening is done in the mufler.
I do not say so much to say. The bulk of the noise is blocked by the catalyst and something even from the valve. The box below is a resonance chamber. According to me or make a change made well or better to leave. What you want to do is free a half-way exhaust manifold.

Gassssssss........................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page