• 1 Post By Graham

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone fitted GSXR1000 K8 Headers

I read, possibly on here, that you cannot fit the K5 headers to the GSX-S 1000 despite the engine being based on the old K5 due to clearance issues with the oil filter and sump.
However I was looking at the K8 headers, as I want to fit a twin can set up, and they appear to have a very similar profile to the stock GSX-S headers so I was wondering if anyone has either fitted or tried to fit K8 headers?
Failing that I shall be looking at the Max Torque Cans set up, although obviously used parts from a suitable donor bike make the job financially less painful if indeed they would fit?
I assume most know what the stock K8 GSXR twin pipe setup looks like, hopefully this link works but this is what the MTC set up looks like with options on can material and outlets -
Dragunslayer likes this.

More cars and bikes over the years than I should have done!
post #2 of 4 Old 08-02-2019, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
hi, i havent physically fitted them, i have measured their header length, but the header spacing will fit the gsx-s as our cyl head is a k8 cylinder head but with steel valves, k8 headers are considerably longer than gsx ones, though they may physically bolt on
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I read, possibly on here, that you cannot fit the K5 headers to the GSX-S 1000 despite the engine being based on the old K5 due to clearance issues with the oil filter and sump.
However I was looking at the K8 headers, as I want to fit a twin can set up, and they appear to have a very similar profile to the stock GSX-S headers so I was wondering if anyone has either fitted or tried to fit K8 headers?
Failing that I shall be looking at the Max Torque Cans set up, although obviously used parts from a suitable donor bike make the job financially less painful if indeed they would fit?
I assume most know what the stock K8 GSXR twin pipe setup looks like, hopefully this link works but this is what the MTC set up looks like with options on can material and outlets -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgNe5DKbOXQ
Looks a nice system there but I really like the 4-1 idea as it makes cleaning the rear end of the bike a bit easier.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Sounds like cool project. Would love to see the result.

If the K8 headers do fit, keep in mind that a metal fab shop (people who have much experience with bending/welding metal and tube) can fairly easily fabricate or modify the 2nd half of the exhaust system (from the header outlet to the mufflers) including the 2 exhaust hangers you will need.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday in a local shop modifying my latest Akra Slip-on to fit my 50mm header outlet. I realized I could have done this long ago, the right metal shop can do cool stuff!

Sorry for the sideways pics, but you get the idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 106867AA-0988-41CC-AFC0-992F9295DBFF.jpg (305.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg C3FA01CE-0FAB-47B2-B99B-E24B8258A903.jpg (305.5 KB, 16 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page