6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Having a shop install full exhaust

So, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I think I'm just going to have a local shop install arrow headers, the servo buddy, and slip my Yoshi back on. While they have it, I'll have them take the ECU out, and send it off for flashing, then have the shop reinstall. My question to you guys that have had shop work similar to this...how much did it cost you?

Bonus question. Do you think it would be better to send the ECU off to flash, or go the power commander route and get a dyno tune. My gut is telling me a dyno tune would be better, but seems like it would be much more expensive than sending the ECU off for flashing.
post #2 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A good shop can tune on a dyno via the ECU. No need for power commander.
Dougstoner likes this.

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B
post #3 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
The header install is fairly simple if you have the time and place to do it. A shop would probably run 1.5 billable hrs, I would think. Do you have a Naked or F?

The Dyno tune is always better and if they tune with a PCV it's usually cheaper (but you have to buy the PCV) than a flash tune, since all they mess with is the fueling. A flash tune would be better though, because there are a lot of other changes that could be made and you wouldn't need the Servo buddy.

Where are you located?
Dougstoner likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3

Last edited by Reagenn; 08-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagenn View Post
The header install is fairly simple if you have the time and place to do it. A shop would probably run 1.5 billable hrs, I would think. Do you have a Naked or F?

The Dyno tune is always better and if they tune with a PCV it's usually cheaper (but you have to buy the PCV) than a flash tune, since all they mess with is the fueling. A flash tune would be better though, because there are a lot of other changes that could be made and you wouldn't need the Servo buddy.

Where are you located?
Oh, they could flash the ecu to remove the error code. I have the fairing version. I'm near Harrisonburg, VA. I'm trying to get an idea of pricing before I go to a local performance shop, just so I know they don't rip me off with pricing. I'm guessing everything will run around $1,500ish? I already have the yoshi slip on, so I'll need the headers (probably going with arrow), the cost to install, dyno, ecu flash, and maybe a k and n air filter.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougstoner View Post
I already have the yoshi slip on, so I'll need the headers (probably going with arrow), the cost to install, dyno, ecu flash, and maybe a k and n air filter.

Will have a set of barely used Arrow headers off my 2018 'f for sale later this month (less than 1000 miles and in perfect condition). PM me if you are interested. Awaiting my M4 system and a free day to swap them (estimate in 2 weeks).
Dougstoner likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Yes, the dyno time and ECU flash will vary from tuner to tuner. It can get quite expensive.
Truthfully though, it's the only way to do it right. So, bite the bullet and don't sweat the bill! 🙂
Dougstoner likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #7 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, they could flash the ecu to remove the error code. I have the fairing version. I'm near Harrisonburg, VA. I'm trying to get an idea of pricing before I go to a local performance shop, just so I know they don't rip me off with pricing. I'm guessing everything will run around $1,500ish? I already have the yoshi slip on, so I'll need the headers (probably going with arrow), the cost to install, dyno, ecu flash, and maybe a k and n air filter.
So DougStoner, GSXS NH will have his Arrow headers for sale in 2 weeks. Sounds like this marriage was meant to be! And if you send your ECU to Dano's (we are all very happy with the results) it's only $180. You should be able to cut your $1,500 estimate way down
Dougstoner likes this.

Last edited by Rapido1; 08-07-2019 at 09:05 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-08-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXS-NH View Post
Will have a set of barely used Arrow headers off my 2018 'f for sale later this month (less than 1000 miles and in perfect condition). PM me if you are interested. Awaiting my M4 system and a free day to swap them (estimate in 2 weeks).
Why are you selling it? I thought about going with a full M4 system as well, and selling my Yoshi slip on. Since I already have the Yoshi though, thought I could save some money and just go with headers and use my slip on. The M4 does sound mean as **** though.

Last edited by Dougstoner; 08-08-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Why are you selling it? I thought about going with a full M4 system as well, and selling my Yoshi slip on. Since I already have the Yoshi though, thought I could save some money and just go with headers and use my slip on. The M4 does sound mean as **** though.

I had bought headers from Phuket Paul (see other threads & don't ask ) and that was a disaster. So I went with Arrow which I have on other bikes and really like. However, the M4 system has longer secondaries (similar to the Phuket Paul Headers) which help in the 4000 - 7500 rpm range which is where I spend most of my time.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I got my ECU flashed on a dyno locally in Ohio and it cost me about $500 (approx figure, dont remember the exact amount). During the dyno flash, the headers had to be dropped a bit to get the wideband O2 sensor on for the dyno tune - so that is already most of the work done to get the old headers out. At that rate, I guess it might cost 700-800$ at max for header install + ecu tuning on a dyno. This is based on the pricing from my local shop here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page