8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Layman's terms please

Ok, Just got this bike earlier this week. Ive been reading, researching like a mad man. More hours than my wife thinks is necessary lol. So much info, I have myself confused. My M4 exhaust is supposed to arrive monday. Ive done header replacement on multiple bikes, but never on a bike that has exhaust valves and servos etc. I will do a flash with Dano in a few weeks when funds become available again. So..... in easy terms.... what do I need to do to change out the exhaust. Do i need to do this "servo buddy" thing? Thanks for the help, again ive been reading everything I can, Im trying to make sure Im prepared with everything I need come install time.

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B
post #2 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Since you have done headers before, I would suggest:

As you remove the OEM exhaust; you have to disconnect & removethe cables for the exhaust servo. The actuator (motor) that pulls the servo cables is mounted on the back of the engine in front of the shock; you should remove the actuator & cables (beware scraped fingers). Trace the electrical supply for the actuator and you will find it disconnects on the left hand side rear fairing.

And then you install the M4 and do not need the "servo buddy" thing....... You will need to flash the ECU, or you will get a FI code.

The other option is to use the servo buddy thing, and leave the actuator electrically plugged in and in place; and fool the ECU into thinking the exhaust servo is still working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Project Pix (9).jpg (122.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by GSXS-NH; 08-09-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
The M4 headers comes with 02 hole that you can put your sensor in, so that should be fine until you get a flash.
It also comes with a piece that you can put on the SET valve motor if you want, but most everyone just goes ahead and pulls the whole motor and cables on out. If you do this (pull it out) and you don't have a flash yet, it will throw a light. I don't know if the bike will run normal with this light on or not. It might go into limp mode.

Most of us did the headers and flash at the same time, that way we didn't have to worry about dash fault lights.

Also, You might want to go ahead and plug off the PAIR valve at the airbox or pull the valve completly out and install block-off plates. I believe this is to eliminate popping on decel.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3

post #4 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So, If i don't want to take a chance of throwing codes I need the servo buddy. It will be a few weeks before I flash. Maybe best to leave alone until after the flash?

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B

Last edited by broncsrule21; 08-09-2019 at 03:55 PM.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
So, If i don't want to take a chance of throwing codes I need the servo buddy. It will be a few weeks before I flash. How much do these cables, motors, actuator weigh? Maybe best to leave alone until after the flash?

My plan with all of this is to get everything together and then do it all at once. I'm currently stock piling pieces to the puzzle, then once I get everything I want to change I only have to tear it down once. I have an F model so it's even more worth it since apparently the fairings are a real pain to remove.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit750 View Post
My plan with all of this is to get everything together and then do it all at once. I'm currently stock piling pieces to the puzzle, then once I get everything I want to change I only have to tear it down once. I have an F model so it's even more worth it since apparently the fairings are a real pain to remove.
I get it. The riding season doesn't last for ever here in Colorado and the bike will be down for at least a week waiting on the flash. It will really suck to have that M4 just sitting in my garage taking up space.

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B
post #7 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncsrule21 View Post
So, If i don't want to take a chance of throwing codes I need the servo buddy. It will be a few weeks before I flash. Maybe best to leave alone until after the flash?
That piece that comes with the M4 exhaust to put on the SET motor might keep it from throwing a code. I didn't use it so I'm not sure..
You could call M4 and see what they say. Maybe someone here might know as well...
broncsrule21 likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #8 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
After thinking about it. I guess I will ride the way it is now, then first sign of a bad weather stretch, send the ECM off. Then start tearing everything apart. Sounds like a pain, so I guess I will do it all at once and save the $60 bucks that the "servo buddy" costs.... any other suggestions still welcome though. I have a "bike night" at the local drag strip Sep 15. Need to be ready by then, Im almost 50yrs old and it will be my first time doing some "legal" racing... Gonna take both bikes

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B
post #9 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
IMO Save your money and pass on the servo buddy, get the ECU to Dano.

Reag said the M4 comes with a little piece for the servo motor, my Arrow one was aluminum. You have to disconnect the servo cables from the stock exhaust to remove them, and up underneath the seat near shock (tight fit to get to) left side, is a little black box which is the servo motor (follow the cables) Detach it. You then attach the supplied piece to the center post of the motor there, it acts as a “stop”, stopping the rotation of the motor, fooling the ECU to think the exhaust butterfly is still there. I guess you have to reinstall the servo motor box and hide the cables somewhere.

I unplugged and removed my servo motor completely as had the ECU flashed, so didn’t have to deal with this. If you are going to flash the ECU, you can choose to leave in or remove the 02 sensor. And definitely (at least) plug the PAIR valve hose with a marble right side underside of airbox. Search for info on the Forum, many discussions with pics somewhere

I don’t think it will take a full week to send and receive from Dano. Keep us posted on your progress!
post #10 of 28 Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
IMO Save your money and pass on the servo buddy, get the ECU to Dano.

Reag said the M4 comes with a little piece for the servo motor, my Arrow one was aluminum. You have to disconnect the servo cables from the stock exhaust to remove them, and up underneath the seat near shock (tight fit to get to) left side, is a little black box which is the servo motor (follow the cables) Detach it. You then attach the supplied piece to the center post of the motor there, it acts as a “stop”, stopping the rotation of the motor, fooling the ECU to think the exhaust butterfly is still there. I guess you have to reinstall the servo motor box and hide the cables somewhere.

I unplugged and removed my servo motor completely as had the ECU flashed, so didn’t have to deal with this. If you are going to flash the ECU, you can choose to leave in or remove the 02 sensor. And definitely (at least) plug the PAIR valve hose with a marble right side underside of airbox. Search for info on the Forum, many discussions with pics somewhere

I don’t think it will take a full week to send and receive from Dano. Keep us posted on your progress!
Will do! Ive decided to do the flash sooner than previously planned. While the bike is down and the ECU is getting flashed... it will give me time to remove all that servo crap and dial in the exhaust.

Thanks for the easy to understand info everyone, I bought this bike on a whim while I was actively looking for another MT-09. So I've been trying to digest a lot of new info quickly.

2016 GSX-S1000
2013 Honda F6B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page