LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-15-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Mivv Double Gun installed.

I finally received my Mivv Double Gun slip on. I ordered it from SportBikesForHire as it was by far the best price. PJ from SportBikesForHire was fantastic with communications and delivery (I highly recommend them). The exhaust came in a surprisingly small box that weighed very little (titanium). The box had everything I needed, including a single page installation diagram (hey, it's just a slip-on, how hard can it be?). Still, it was nice to know what new bits went where and what old bits were replaced. I installed it in < 30 minutes, and that included finding my tools, finding some loctite, doing the install, starting the bike and listening to it, and putting everything away. One of the easiest jobs I've ever done, partly do to everything being in the kit, and fitting correctly (I'm sure you know how that goes).
So I bought it mainly because it looked cool, saves weight, makes my bike a little different. I installed it and expected no difference in sound (I did remove the db killers before installing and they were just screwed in, so no drama there). When I started it, I immediately noticed an increase in the low frequency range. When twisting the throttle, it didn't sound significantly louder (I didn't want that), but it was a tad louder than stock and had a slightly deeper tone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg mivv-2.jpeg (104.1 KB, 25 views)
oldjackbob and lost like this.
post #2 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rode into work today and definitely louder than stock. It screams pretty nice on accel.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Hey Mike D,
Looks nice! Just curious if you weighed the slip-on before install and then weighed the stock unit upon removal. I'm just curious how much the 'stock' exhaust can weighs vs. the titanium slip-on you added. If you didn't get the numbers, it's no big deal.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Hey Mike D,
Looks nice! Just curious if you weighed the slip-on before install and then weighed the stock unit upon removal. I'm just curious how much the 'stock' exhaust can weighs vs. the titanium slip-on you added. If you didn't get the numbers, it's no big deal.
I can weigh the stock exhaust, but I didn't weigh the Mivv. The Mivv weighs nothing with the db killers out - maybe a pound. (titanium).
I'll weigh the stock one and let you know.
Web site claims Stock: 2.5kg Mivv: 0.5kg
frog4aday likes this.

Last edited by mike d; 08-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 03:25 PM

The Mivv website says the stock Suzuki unit weighs 2.5 kilograms, which would be 5lbs, 8 oz (or five and a half pounds.) That seems lighter than I would have guessed, just from looking at it. Now I'm really curious what you find when you actually weigh it.

They say the Mivv Double Gun titanium system for the GSX-S1000 weighs about 2 kg less than the stock system (I think I'm reading their website correctly; it's not intuitive.) That would be 0.5 kg? Which would calculate out to 1lb 1.6oz (or a tad over 17 oz total.) That's light! That matches up pretty well with what you 'felt' it weighed. So that'd be a loss of 4.5 lbs from the bike weight. Not bad.

Just dawned on me - you took the dB killers out. That means even a little more than 4.5lbs of weight loss. Not much more, but still.

Okay...waiting to hear how "porky" the OEM 'slip-on' portion is. But your new pipes weigh a whole pound? That's amazing.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
My stock can weighed out at 4lbs 6oz. Doesn't include clamp or gasket. I guess mine had gone on a diet.

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #7 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagenn View Post
My stock can weighed out at 4lbs 6oz. Doesn't include clamp or gasket. I guess mine had gone on a diet.
Thanks Reagenn,
That's interesting. That's a pound less than expected. But looking at Mike Ds picture, I wonder if the extra pound would be from the 'cover' that remains where the OEM slip-on went? Just speculating. No matter how you look at it, the stock unit doesn't weigh much so there is not a lot of weight savings to be had by ditching it. I think Mike D was looking for something different/sexy to put on his bike. And maybe the extra sound makes him happy, too! Sometimes it's just fun making the bike your own so it doesn't look like the others in the parking lot. (Not that I've ever seen another GSX-S1000 in my neck of the woods!)
mike d likes this.

Last edited by frog4aday; 08-16-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added "look"
post #8 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Thanks Reagenn,
That's interesting. That's a pound less than expected. But looking at Mike Ds picture, I wonder if the extra pound would be from the 'cover' that remains where the OEM slip-on went? Just speculating. No matter how you look at it, the stock unit doesn't weigh much so there is not a lot of weight savings to be had by ditching it. I think Mike D was looking for something different/sexy to put on his bike. And maybe the extra sound makes him happy, too! Sometimes it's just fun making the bike your own so it doesn't like the others in the parking lot. (Not that I've ever seen another GSX-S1000 in my neck of the woods!)
Well, somewhere around 4lbs saved. Not earth shattering, but between that and my Shorai battery, that's well over 10lbs saved.

Plus, Frog is right. I like the look, the sound is a bonus, and I've always been enamored with anything Ti! (I have a titanium bicycle too).
The Mivv is pretty cheap too.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Titanium IS cool! So light. Dropping 10 lbs off this bike (slip-on and battery) is significant as it gets it pretty close to GSXR weight, and improves the power-to-weight ratio a little bit in your favor. All good!
mike d likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-16-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
How does it look if you remove the heat shield?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page