GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Mivv Double Gun installed.

10K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  BVS 
#1 ·
I finally received my Mivv Double Gun slip on. I ordered it from SportBikesForHire as it was by far the best price. PJ from SportBikesForHire was fantastic with communications and delivery (I highly recommend them). The exhaust came in a surprisingly small box that weighed very little (titanium). The box had everything I needed, including a single page installation diagram (hey, it's just a slip-on, how hard can it be?). Still, it was nice to know what new bits went where and what old bits were replaced. I installed it in < 30 minutes, and that included finding my tools, finding some loctite, doing the install, starting the bike and listening to it, and putting everything away. One of the easiest jobs I've ever done, partly do to everything being in the kit, and fitting correctly (I'm sure you know how that goes).
So I bought it mainly because it looked cool, saves weight, makes my bike a little different. I installed it and expected no difference in sound (I did remove the db killers before installing and they were just screwed in, so no drama there). When I started it, I immediately noticed an increase in the low frequency range. When twisting the throttle, it didn't sound significantly louder (I didn't want that), but it was a tad louder than stock and had a slightly deeper tone.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Mike D,
Looks nice! Just curious if you weighed the slip-on before install and then weighed the stock unit upon removal. I'm just curious how much the 'stock' exhaust can weighs vs. the titanium slip-on you added. If you didn't get the numbers, it's no big deal.

#4 · (Edited)
Hey Mike D,
Looks nice! Just curious if you weighed the slip-on before install and then weighed the stock unit upon removal. I'm just curious how much the 'stock' exhaust can weighs vs. the titanium slip-on you added. If you didn't get the numbers, it's no big deal.
I can weigh the stock exhaust, but I didn't weigh the Mivv. The Mivv weighs nothing with the db killers out - maybe a pound. (titanium).
I'll weigh the stock one and let you know.
Web site claims Stock: 2.5kg Mivv: 0.5kg

#5 ·
The Mivv website says the stock Suzuki unit weighs 2.5 kilograms, which would be 5lbs, 8 oz (or five and a half pounds.) That seems lighter than I would have guessed, just from looking at it. Now I'm really curious what you find when you actually weigh it.

They say the Mivv Double Gun titanium system for the GSX-S1000 weighs about 2 kg less than the stock system (I think I'm reading their website correctly; it's not intuitive.) That would be 0.5 kg? Which would calculate out to 1lb 1.6oz (or a tad over 17 oz total.) That's light! That matches up pretty well with what you 'felt' it weighed. So that'd be a loss of 4.5 lbs from the bike weight. Not bad.

Just dawned on me - you took the dB killers out. That means even a little more than 4.5lbs of weight loss. Not much more, but still.

Okay...waiting to hear how "porky" the OEM 'slip-on' portion is. But your new pipes weigh a whole pound? That's amazing.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks Reagenn,
That's interesting. That's a pound less than expected. But looking at Mike Ds picture, I wonder if the extra pound would be from the 'cover' that remains where the OEM slip-on went? Just speculating. No matter how you look at it, the stock unit doesn't weigh much so there is not a lot of weight savings to be had by ditching it. I think Mike D was looking for something different/sexy to put on his bike. And maybe the extra sound makes him happy, too! Sometimes it's just fun making the bike your own so it doesn't look like the others in the parking lot. (Not that I've ever seen another GSX-S1000 in my neck of the woods!)

#11 ·
Well, there were too many mechanical connections visible for my taste, and I'm sorry I didn't take pictures in that state. Some may prefer it.

Also I weighed my stock end can and did some geusstimation math (assuming claimed weight is close)...
Stock end can (weighed by me): 4 lbs 10 oz (74 oz)
Mivv end can (claimed): 0.5kg (17.6 oz)
DB inserts w/bolts (weighed by me): 191 grams (6.70 oz)
Mivv without DB inserts (math): (10.9 oz)
Total Savings = 74 oz - 10.9 oz = 63.1 oz = 3.9 lbs = 3 lbs 14.4 oz

So my guesses were pretty close. :)
BTW, I'm loving the sound. It definitely has a mean raspy growl on acceleration!

#21 ·
/forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_devil.png Can we agree to call the "slip-on won't sound louder than stock" myth busted (I've seen the video that is the source of the misconception)? It certainly is for me.
Nice video and great sounding can. I'd go as far to say that the m4 slip on I purchased and now sold may have been even louder but it's hard to tell from a video. Taking the stock can off definitely doesn't do much but the design of these cans can really amplify and alter the pitch of the noise.

That being said if increasing noise is the goal then a decat link pipe would be a wise investment at a greatly reduced cost. However if keeping the bike stock is important, a slip on is a nice compromise. Thanks for the clip.

#24 ·
Thanks Reagenn, but, If only...
I've tried to contact him. No success. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the system I ordered and probably sold to a local, because screw me, what am I gonna do?
Anyway... URRRGHHHH! :mad:

Well... The Mivv is a nice little addition and some cheap entertainment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.