GSXS 1000 Forum banner

2005 gsxr 1000 header, fitment?

11K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  temporarykiwi 
#1 ·
does anyone know if the 2005 headers from a gsxr 1000 fit the gsx-s 1000 .since they share the same engine.

#12 ·
I guess I understand wanting headers for more hp and sound, what I don’t understand is seeking out every extra hp possible. If that’s the goal you should have bought a lighter faster bike to begin with. I got rid of the cat underneath the bike for looks, weight and sound but kept the stock slip on. Very little money invested in that compared to complete exhaust. Our bikes are plenty fast for the type of bike but if you’re worried about every ounce of power, get a different bike. I know that they are different headers out there, some are more expensive than others but I don’t think they are unreasonable for our bikes. Is the whole reason trying gsxr for price or more hp?

#14 ·
Hey Packmule, no need to share goal or even understand, whatever float your own boat is what’s really matters! [emoji4] we all have different taste, story...

As for my own ‘floating boat’ , I really don’t see many faster options out there meeting my criteria, besides maybe the more expansive tuono. Not many sporty and upright position bikes with fairing. I don’t want a pure naked or a racer. Just my taste and prefered riding position. And I’ve got to like the look. As for my background modifying cars where every little detail I was paying attention to made me build a N/A beast. I like the technical aspect and push the mechanics to near its full/safe potential. Details add up and are Much rewarding. If I’m gonna mod this bike, i’d prefer to make this right the first time, though I agree the bike is already good bone stock. That’s why mine is still stock after 4y. If done right, There is good power potential with header design, more than the potential of exhaust/cat delete. I feel I have been through a similar situation before, there was available car headers... but it’s only later that a good option became available. But I don’t really know for sure here since I have not tried any gsxs aftermarket header. Just my guts feeling so far. I don’t intend to touch the internals, so I’d proably be done after header, exhaust, intake, ecu. I like the options for all of these except I’m not convinced about the current headers. Feel like companies are cutting on proper design/test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
danGTS why wouldn’t I need to understand? My IQ isn’t high enough for it? I just question why ask for problems that they are solutions to already? If you are buy a naked upright bike you’re not looking for all out performance so what is the purpose of looking for a couple additional hp?

I’m just wonderful what is the gain? I’m just trying to understand the purpose? Just like the guy who wanted to raise his front end, if you didn’t know the reason, it’s wrong to try to understand why?

I’m not asking to cause trouble or start pissing contest and I’m not a keyboard warrior. I have had fast cars and bikes with plenty of modifications it’s not like I’m green. So understanding is something that’s not important anymore? So confused, must look for my safe space now.

#17 ·
May not the cup of coffee for all , but tuning do not need to be understood.

#18 ·
Hey packmule.. sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you or anyone. I have tried to explain my view so anyone could read if interrested. Not to diminish anyone’s view. I understand you have a different view, that’s fine! Maybe my phrasing was not perfect. My point was just that the only thing that matters for anyone building their own bike is that their work/goal makes sense for themselves in the first place. It does not really matter what others think of your own project/bike. To each his own and that’s what makes life interresting! I do think that anyone’s view/project diserves to be respected though, even if not agreed..

I make sense of my own project. After 4y driving this bike, I feel it would be even nicer if it had a bit more hp and I’m still happy keeping it. I personally would like it if there was more quick bikes with fairing and up-right position, but the industry does not agrees. I’m not gonna change my tuning ideas at my age, I shoot for every hp at every step and, strange concidence I suppose, my machine always ends up being ahead. [emoji4] Not the fastest in the world, but efficiently fast among fair comparison. That’s the rewarding part that I enjoy about tuning. Not an easy way and def not for everybody.

#19 ·
i bought this bike for much the same reasons, as my neck just cant take 'arse up head down' position anymore, but i like a fairing for weather and hi speed wind protection, lastly it had as a base the gsxr1000 engine, so plenty of options to modify, it took me about a week to be annoyed by the stock hole in the midrange delivery, i made a exhaust to remedy that first, it then had a bulging torque curve, after a few months ( and remedying the stock suspension), i started wondering if a few engine upgrades would improve the power delivery,.
i found its actually a hinderance to my license to keep riding it as it is, the bike takes a nano second to go from 100 - 130kph with the torque, so ive planned to retune it for a progressive powerband, i tried a couple of camshaft options, but they just returned the hole in the midrange.
so ive been tweaking a few internals, and now am about to try a gsxr1k8 cylinderhead and cam setup, which will probably require a different header ( 4th version) to suit, as i inspected a stock k8 header, they have much longer headers to go with the longer duration cam timing.

#21 ·
Nice kiwi! Pretty inspiring stuff! I’m not sure I’d be in for all these trials you are doing, but you have my admiration for doing it!! Lot’s of tine/work/$/fun, and lots of reward once you figure out the right setup. I’d like to fix de 6k spot as well, but top end is a must. Do you feel significant gain up top as well so far? Most header dynos i have seen don’t seem to change the dyno ‘curve’. I know header has the potential to reshape hills and valleys. But then i even have a hard time to see real pictures of all the headers available, not well documented. My feeling is manufacturers didn’t really bother designing properly. I may be wrong. Looks like you are one of the only ones shooting to reshape the dyno curve.

As you said, being almost a gsxr, potential is there to make the bike compete with 1000cc racers. This is def a plus.

To be quite honest, my main justification for the fairing used to be the wind protection, but is now mostly for the look. I broke my windshield on my previous bike, and i found it still ok. I think getting used to riding at higher speed made me more comfy over time w/o me realizing. But it’s still a plus for longer rides. I’m more about go than show in general, but still need to like the bik’s look. Although the front is not good looking on this bike imo (f), every other angle is looking great. Even looking at it at an angle from the front is nice. I’m not a big fan of the look of naked bikes in general, but they are more popular these days. Less choice fore me :S

Cheers

#22 ·
the stock hole in the midrange is caused mainly by the std exhaust and the fueling , also some timing and secondary throttle valve settings,the std exhaust is actually smaller in the headers than the ports, everything after the headers is built to strangle the mtrs performance thru various rev ranges, well a cat converter is mainly for emissions, that plus the lean fueling, actually the 'muffler' doesnt actually retard any noise, it just modifys it, yes powerband can be altered via an exhaust, but really the optimin header will just accentuate the power demands of the camshaft,

with some race cams i tried the topend was much improved (dyno'd at 172rwhp), but accentuated the 4-6k dip, i really want a progressive delivery with more at topend, but not so torquy in the midrange, oh i have built the ultimate header for the stock cams, it really livens the power delivery from mid to top, maintains good drive ability at low rpm, but this makes for very hard use of tyres due to the wheelspinning, and powersliding !
for me the engineering challenge is nearly as interesting as the riding, well at least as long as im off the road due to injury, i have a tarmac hillclimb event to compete in this march coming, i rode my brothers sv1000 in it last year, it was awesome fun, but i was limited by it only having 120rwhp (ive piped it for him) and i was told not to hurt it or damage it, so had to ride with a reserve, but im looking forward to having near 50% more power and no restriction to slow me down, you can google the event " cliffhanger hillclimb" a local superbike champ has the record time (naturally)i was 8th in the 1000cc class last year

#24 · (Edited)
i finally have started on the gsxrk8 cyl head conversion, i installed it with a stock head gasket to compression test it with stock k8 cams, it yeilded 188psi, a little down on std gsx comp figure, which longer duration cams do test as, but im sure it probably means the compression ratio is a little low, i will cc combustion chamber and piston top to get accurate compression ratio, i will need around 13:1 for the cams i want to use. ive filled the pair valves to allow the header to apply full vacuum to the chamber, i cc'ed the inlet ports, they are 7-10 cc less than the gsx-s inlets, also the gsxr combustion chamber is much better than the gsx-s, the inlet valves are unshrouded, and the valve seats arent sheilded by lack of further machining as the gsx-s ones are (in the combustion chamber). ive found that the k8 1k mtr usually yeilds 175-180rwhp with a port & valve job plus a good header, so it should deliver what im after, a gsx-s with the power delivery of a gsxrk8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.