Can I leave ex valve motor &cables connected w/ new headers - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Unread 11-26-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can I leave ex valve motor &cables connected w/ new headers

My stock bike runs very well as is.

But I would like more power and less weight like most who install full exhaust system.
But I've read about uneven idle when using a high volume muffler with aftermarket headers, which is exactly what I want to do.

So can I TEMPORARILY leave the exhaust valve motor and cables intact and working while I experiment with the new system in case I may want to return back to stock if not favorably impressed with new results?

Or might there be a problem with the ex valve cables running disconnected from the exhaust?

Thanks, I hope I made my questions clear enough
post #2 of 11 Unread 11-26-2019, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleeye View Post

But I would like more power and less weight like most who install full exhaust system.
But I've read about uneven idle when using a high volume muffler with aftermarket headers, which is exactly what I want to do.

So can I TEMPORARILY leave the exhaust valve motor and cables intact and working while I experiment with the new system in case I may want to return back to stock if not favorably impressed with new results?

Or might there be a problem with the ex valve cables running disconnected from the exhaust?

Thanks, I hope I made my questions clear enough [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]
May not even throw a code but even if it does it can be ridden like that indefinitely. The 02 sensor is required though. Some aftermarket exhausts don't have an 02 bung so you may need to flash it at the same time.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #3 of 11 Unread 11-26-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post
May not even throw a code but even if it does it can be ridden like that indefinitely. The 02 sensor is required though. Some aftermarket exhausts don't have an 02 bung so you may need to flash it at the same time.
Ok, can you tell me why the O2 sensor is required, my plan was to go full tilt on a Dano reflash to suit a M4 header with relatively big, long yoshi can fitted to it.

I would like to flash out the O2 since some feel the O2 should be eliminated to help prevent the sometimes reported uneven idle?

Thanks

post #4 of 11 Unread 11-27-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post
Ok, can you tell me why the O2 sensor is required, my plan was to go full tilt on a Dano reflash to suit a M4 header with relatively big, long yoshi can fitted to it.

I would like to flash out the O2 since some feel the O2 should be eliminated to help prevent the sometimes reported uneven idle?

Thanks
Dano will remove the 02 sensor error so no need to worry just unplug it and put it aside if you ever want to return to stock. The idle isn't a big deal. After the tune my idle sits at 1000 pulsing up to 1100, doesn't hurt anything but it does sound pretty mean sitting at traffic lights.
moleeye likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #5 of 11 Unread 11-27-2019, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Just my 2 cents, but if you put an insert in the muffler, you are likely to have a very even idle. I have m4 headers with a Yoshi Alpha can, and it was very rough until I put the insert in. After that, it idled as good as stock. Dano's tune seems to need a little back pressure to run smoothly.

Of course that quietens it down some, so I took the insert back out and went with a different tuner that got the idle a little smoother than Dano's tune did.
moleeye likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #6 of 11 Unread 11-27-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagenn View Post
Just my 2 cents, but if you put an insert in the muffler, you are likely to have a very even idle. I have m4 headers with a Yoshi Alpha can, and it was very rough until I put the insert in. After that, it idled as good as stock. Dano's tune seems to need a little back pressure to run smoothly.

Of course that quietens it down some, so I took the insert back out and went with a different tuner that got the idle a little smoother than Dano's tune did.
Yeah Reagenn, I'm planning on using the current GSXR 1000 promo Yoshi slip on, which looks like your Alpha only a bit longer. It may be a little bigger internally as well, so I expect I will need an insert.

Thanks
post #7 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, I hope I made my questions clear enough
I did this my 2008 Fazer, new rear can and just tied the cables behinf side panels.
post #8 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon View Post
I did this my 2008 Fazer, new rear can and just tied the cables behinf side panels.
Yeah, I did the same, just zip tied them down till I decide on the final outcome. It did throw a c46 code.

I installed the m4 headers with their can and took the unflashed bike for a test ride, mainly to check for exhaust leaks.
I found the m4 system weakened the midrange and improved the top end.with the unflashed ecu.
Can't wait for my ecu to get back from Dano.

Last edited by moleeye; Yesterday at 02:38 PM.
post #9 of 11 Unread Today, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I did the same, just zip tied them down till I decide on the final outcome. It did throw a c46 code.

I installed the m4 headers with their can and took the unflashed bike for a test ride, mainly to check for exhaust leaks.
I found the m4 system weakened the midrange and improved the top end.with the unflashed ecu.
Can't wait for my ecu to get back from Dano.
Should be good then, let us know your thoughts.
post #10 of 11 Unread Today, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon View Post
Should be good then, let us know your thoughts.
Will do, I have a bit of experimenting to do, I have an appointment this Thurs. to get a link pipe made up to link the M4 headers to the2017 GSXR Alpha muffler I want to try. Will be interesting and hopefully gratifying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in