GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Can I leave ex valve motor &cables connected w/ new headers

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Reagenn 
#1 ·
My stock bike runs very well as is.

But I would like more power and less weight like most who install full exhaust system.
But I've read about uneven idle when using a high volume muffler with aftermarket headers, which is exactly what I want to do.

So can I TEMPORARILY leave the exhaust valve motor and cables intact and working while I experiment with the new system in case I may want to return back to stock if not favorably impressed with new results?

Or might there be a problem with the ex valve cables running disconnected from the exhaust?

Thanks, I hope I made my questions clear enough :|

#2 ·
My stock bike runs very well as is.

But I would like more power and less weight like most who install full exhaust system.
But I've read about uneven idle when using a high volume muffler with aftermarket headers, which is exactly what I want to do.

So can I TEMPORARILY leave the exhaust valve motor and cables intact and working while I experiment with the new system in case I may want to return back to stock if not favorably impressed with new results?

Or might there be a problem with the ex valve cables running disconnected from the exhaust?

Thanks, I hope I made my questions clear enough /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
May not even throw a code but even if it does it can be ridden like that indefinitely. The 02 sensor is required though. Some aftermarket exhausts don't have an 02 bung so you may need to flash it at the same time.

#3 ·
Ok, can you tell me why the O2 sensor is required, my plan was to go full tilt on a Dano reflash to suit a M4 header with relatively big, long yoshi can fitted to it.

I would like to flash out the O2 since some feel the O2 should be eliminated to help prevent the sometimes reported uneven idle?

Thanks

#5 ·
Just my 2 cents, but if you put an insert in the muffler, you are likely to have a very even idle. I have m4 headers with a Yoshi Alpha can, and it was very rough until I put the insert in. After that, it idled as good as stock. Dano's tune seems to need a little back pressure to run smoothly.

Of course that quietens it down some, so I took the insert back out and went with a different tuner that got the idle a little smoother than Dano's tune did.

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I did the same, just zip tied them down till I decide on the final outcome. It did throw a c46 code.

I installed the m4 headers with their can and took the unflashed bike for a test ride, mainly to check for exhaust leaks.
I found the m4 system weakened the midrange and improved the top end.with the unflashed ecu.
Can't wait for my ecu to get back from Dano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.