• 2 Post By moleeye

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSXR slip on adapted to my new M4 headers

I almost didn't do this project because my 2018 stock bike was really nice factory stock, with relatively mild midrange lag and throttle snatch.
You know how it goes though, lets make it faster and lighter!

The M4 install went about as well as it could with just me fitting it up, only a few regrets midway through.

After the install, I took it for a quick test ride unflashed and with the M4 end can, mainly to check for header leaks.
I found in this state it ran weaker in the mid range but stronger on the top end, so off to Dano's.

When I got the ECU back, midrange was strong with no more factory midrange lag and still stronger top end.

I wanted to fit a 2017+ GSXR1000 Yoshi slip on, the one that Suzuki sometimes gives out free with a new GSXR, because I wanted a nice deep tone and hopefully the better performance a longer can is supposed to give. Also these high quality cans can be found on ebay for less than $300 because some folks got them for free and then went to a full system.

I had a link pipe made up at a local custom automotive exhaust shop, they did a mediocre job. I had to make a few tweaks to fit it properly, but it allowed me to do the adapting.

So here's my results, I have a test spot between two markers on a remote country road where I start out at 35 mph in 2nd gear at the first marker and note my terminal speed at the second marker which in this case is the end of 3rd gear. the distance travelled is 1/10+ mile, and less than 1/8 mile.
Believe it or not it's a pretty good method that gives reasonably consistent results. I always calibrate my speedometer with a speedo app on my phone for comparison between bikes, but in this case it was the same bike, which happens to read about 6.5% fast. After a good number of repeat runs, I found an average speed of:

Stock bike terminal speed 120 mph

Bike with reflash:
M4 full system M4 can speed 123
M4 Yoshi can w/noise insert: speed 124
M4 Yoshi can no noise insert: speed 125

So basically best case I got a 5 mph terminal speed gain for the short distance travelled, don't know how that would translate to a 1/4 mile run with a decent drag racer, but its a noticeable difference with a nice linear acceleration all the way.

The tone with the Yoshi is what I had hoped for, I like deep tone without ridiculous loudness. I didn't even try the M4 can with insert removed because I wouldn't ride around that loud.

I do have to say the Yoshi idle is uneven as some have reported with an open can, and smooths out with the Yoshi noise insert.
I'm going to have to decide which way to go between the two.
Yes, Ill put the body work back on when I'm through messing around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01440.jpg (130.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01441.jpg (157.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01443.jpg (166.6 KB, 47 views)
mike d, gsxsdave, Packmule and 4 others like this.

Last edited by moleeye; 12-27-2019 at 09:01 PM.
post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm surprised at the substantial degree of "muffling" these big slip ons provide with an open header system.

The sound with this Yoshi is near perfect for my taste, but as reported with other bigger cans the idle is uneven and sucks with frequent stops.

The Yoshi "sound insert" added to it makes the idle fine but quiets it down beyond what a factory system does, a little quiet even for my conservative approach to exhaust noise.

Oh well....
post #3 of 7 Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleeye View Post
I'm surprised at the substantial degree of "muffling" these big slip ons provide with an open header system.

The sound with this Yoshi is near perfect for my taste, but as reported with other bigger cans the idle is uneven and sucks with frequent stops.

The Yoshi "sound insert" added to it makes the idle fine but quiets it down beyond what a factory system does, a little quiet even for my conservative approach to exhaust noise.

Oh well....
I have a 14 inch muffler on a stock decatted header. Too loud without the insert/ baffle and a little too quiet and restrictive with it in. So I started drilling some small holes in the end of the baffle until I found a reasonable compromise between noise and Power. Just when the idle started to Surge a little I stopped adding holes.
moleeye likes this.

Last edited by SlowGSXSRider; 12-29-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

post #4 of 7 Old 12-29-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGSXSRider View Post
I have a 14 inch muffler on a stock decatted header. Too loud without the insert/ baffle and a little too quiet and restrictive with it in. So I started drilling some small holes in the end of the baffle until I found a reasonable compromise between noise and Power. Just when the idle started to Surge a little I stopped adding holes.

Good idea, I may get an extra baffle and do some sort of modification, they are only $34.
SlowGSXSRider likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2020, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So to follow up this post, for a compromise between using the Yoshi baffle or not, I disassembled the 2 part baffle and installed just the black aluminum ring part. This seems to improve the surging idle I got with no baffle maybe 50% without over muffling, so this is the option I'm going with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01444 (1).jpg (286.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01487.jpg (168.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01477.jpg (279.3 KB, 22 views)
Reagenn and SlowGSXSRider like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2020, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Good job Moleeye, looks good!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rapido,
Next step, black vinyl wrap the front forks, gotta get in the right frame of mind for such a fiddly job

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page