• 1 Post By RedGSXS

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hot tip for Yoshimura rear fender kit

In California you are required to have a reflector at your bikes back end. I just installed the yoshimura fender eliminator and then I unbolted the stock reflector (the rectangular one) from the stock fender. There's a small plastic post on the back side near the screw that can be easily shaved off with a utility knife. Cut it off so the reflector will lay flat against the yoshimura frame. Drill a hole at the base of the yoshimura frame in the middle slightly larger than the mounting screw. Mount the reflector using the stock nut. I also used blue thread lock. It does cover the yoshimura logo but now the cops won't bug you and it looks clean. I'm pretty anal about my stuff. I recently got ticketed in Huntington beach for not having this on another of my bikes. Who knew. But cops are picky down there.

So Cal Rider
post #2 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reflectors are a requirement all over the US, not just Cali. Side ones too, amber in front, red in back. It's all part of the FHVSS.
I put the little 3/4" ones on the back of my bike. They're supposed to replace the plate mounting bolts. I use regular nuts and bolts though (with Loctite), so put the reflectors in the bottom holes instead. I have more in the mail to replace the 2" side reflectors.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Only red reflector requirered on back end in Belgium.

2015 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
2011 Ducati Monster 1100 S ABS
2007 Honda CBR 1000 RR Fireblade
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
1997 Honda CBR 900 Fireblade
1993 Suzuki GSX-R 1100 W
1989 Suzuki GSX-F 750 F
1982 Suzuki GS L 650 GL

post #4 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Jeckler. Good to know. I was wondering about the round side reflectors but it was getting late last night during the install and I didn't see a quick n easy way to mount them. Do you know if the rounds reflectors need to be on the sides like stock? Seems like they would. I'll take another crack at it.

Ride safe, buddy

So Cal Rider
post #5 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmetjen View Post
Only red reflector requirered on back end in Belgium.
Man, they punish you guys with large license plates. You're probably used to it by now.
Jeckler likes this.

So Cal Rider
post #6 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGSXS View Post
Hey Jeckler. Good to know. I was wondering about the round side reflectors but it was getting late last night during the install and I didn't see a quick n easy way to mount them. Do you know if the rounds reflectors need to be on the sides like stock? Seems like they would. I'll take another crack at it.

Ride safe, buddy
I actually don't have a 'zuk. But to be legal, you'll need red facing the sides in the back and amber facing the sides in front. In the specification, it's "as far forward/backward as possible", or something close to that. On my bike, the rear side reflectors were mounted on their own little bracket, sandwiched between the plate and mount. When I put my FE on, I just left it off. My plan is to use a couple pieces of angle to attach the new ones to and bolt the angle to the rear facing reflectors in the bottom holes of the plate.
In front, the orange slice reflectors screwed into the front fender. Again, with the stock rear fender removed, two of those bolts replaced the reflectors and are a match for the two already holding the fender on. Not sure how I'm going to put the new ones on yet.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I only need a red rear facing one here is Aus.

I got a bit of Aluminium and made up a bracket to suit the stock reflector. Then bolted it between the numberplate and yoshi brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0662.jpg (107.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0660.jpg (89.1 KB, 57 views)

2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 (Metallic Triton Blue)
2007 Triumph Daytona 675 (Sold)
2008 Suzuki GSX-R750 (Gone)
2002 Suzuki GS500 (Sold)
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey fender eliminator guys. I just realized something. Without the rear fender I now fear that my nice new tail light and body work above it is going to get pelted with dirt and dull the finish. This happened on my VFR and the tail light got totally sand blasted over time. The gloss was completely gone

My thought is to protect the tail section using some clear sticker sheet cut to shape before its too late. And of course replace it time to time. Better safe than sorry.

Good info on reflector specs. Funny how as we get older we actually care about these silly little rules. But they make sense if your tail light quits working, much like my VFR. Im just tired of the cops messing with me. Don't give them a reason is my thought.

Have a great safe weekend

So Cal Rider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page