GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Quick Shifter

24K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  Kingofdiamonds 
#1 ·
I rode a friends 2014 Aprilia Tuono this weekend and it has a quick shifter. The quick shifter is the greatest thing since rubber tires. Anyway, the experience made me start thinking about adding one to my GSX S1000. Dynojet makes one and it requires a PCV but that is no problem because I ordered a PCV from Fuel Moto yesterday. I couldn't resist the temptation because it the PCV was on sale.

So, has anyone added a quick shifter to their GSX S1000? If so, which brand and how did it work out?

#2 ·
Yep. HM superlite. I had to send the first one back as it would randomly stop working. Apparently this is very unusual but there was no argument from HM, I can't fault their customer service.
The replacement works perfectly. A whole lotta fun but it's the base model so doesn't do downshifting. :(
I wouldn't be without one now.

#4 · (Edited)
I've got the HM Seamless, fantastic bit of kit, decided this bike had to have one after having a OEM unit on my Tuono V4. No moving parts so nothing to wear out, just plug + play and they are interchangeable between bikes you may just need to change the coil loom, HM Quickshifter
Would of been happy with the Plus but they had an offer on their fb page selling the Plus SS for the same price. Customer service is excellent too.

#10 ·
When the bike was announced early this year, every article I read assumed it would come with a slipper clutch just like the R1000. Some review articles written after the bike hit the market expressed disappointment that it did not have a slipper. I assume it was omitted for cost reasons. I was in a Suzuki dealership this past weekend in Atlanta and a salesman told me that he felt sure that a third party slipper would become available in the future. My frustration is that the US after-market industry seems very slow reacting to the bike. A prime example is a decent add-on wind screen for the naked version. Oh well, I'll continue to wait and watch for new stuff.

#14 ·
I have a mate here in Aus who has his own business selling a few things for bikes and one of them is a quickshifter and he gets his stuff from Cordona Italy. If you want to try him out, Quick Lap Performance.

He is in Queensland Australia.

#19 ·
I don't think an aftermarket one helps with cluthless down changes. But I have read with the GSX-R 1000 coming out next year(stand corrected) that it has a quickshifter which is clutchless up and down shift so you only need the clutch for take off.

If that helps, unless someone else knows a little more.

But I then have to ask has anyone changed the up and down shift to up shift being down and down shift being up?

#21 ·
No idea about how easy it is to install. I'll know once my dad installs his on his GSX1400. But from what I understand from my mate majority of the stuff he sells is designed to be able to make it plug and play with maybe a few small things to do extra to make it work.

I have already called my mate and asked if he could start checking up on which shifter I'd have to buy to work on the GSX-S. Told him I am in no rush to buy one, so maybe if you give him a call or send him an email he'd be able to help you out.

#23 · (Edited)
Quickshifter is pretty straight forward to fit, connect loom into the bikes injection loom, wire in the power and ground then fit the strain gauge and new shift rod in place, job done. Looking on https://www.quicklapperformance.com....er-8-pq8-combp at there QS kit based on a GSX-r1000 K2+ your looking at $650 ( Austalian ) or £320 (UK). The base model HM lite with shift rod and extra grub screws will set you back about £220 or $445 Aus. and will work in either road or race shift ( up to go up or down to go up ).
HM are used in -
Moto 2 - 90%
MotoGP - 95%
Club racing - 85%
So their products are backed by an impressive portfolio of team use. I'm not affiliated to the company, just like do do my research into products before I purchase and fit. Plus their customer service was second to none.

#26 ·
I have purchased the Dynojet QS from Fuel Moto but have not installed it yet. I hope to install it this week. The install and hook-up appears to be very simple. I plan on calling Dynojet and Fuel Moto tomorrow (Monday) to inquire about the default settings for "shift interval" and "kill times" per gear shift. I just want to ask if they have had any feedback from customers regarding these settings. I will post a reply after I have talked with them.

#33 ·
My shifter has 'seamless shift technology' so i don't get any jolt but from what i understand from HM website, if you are using the 'superlite', it has a pre-set kill time in between each gear change ( the more expensive units can be adjusted ) and as the distance of travel of the gear selector between 1st thru neutral and into 2nd is more than that of 2nd thru 6 then this could cause the jolt. As i'm not running a 'superlite' I;m unsure of the adjustability of that shifter but i think it's quite limited, i did read somwhere that they advised performing a normal shift from 1st to 2nd and then use the shifter from 2nd up thru 6, this was the same advice given for the use of the OEM unit fitted to my Tuono v4 aprc. Sometimes the lever sensitivity is set to sensitive and it's better to reduce this value which results in the need for a more positive force in the shift, this may help.

Just had a look on their website and this is quoted, backing up what i said about the 'supertlie' having a non adjustable kill time but 3 levels lever sensitivity control.

"• HM Quickshifter SUPER LITE has 3 setting for sensitivity with a fixed ignition kill time, so you can control how you use the gearbox and how you want the HM Quickshifter to work / feel."

Hope this is of some help. :)

#35 ·
I've been wondering if a slipper clutch from a R1000 would fit our bikes. I asked my local dealer that question and he said he would look into it but he has been unresponsive thus far. I guess I could try asking Suzuki via email or phone call. Thanks for the info.

#38 ·
For anyone who is interested, I have now put the DynoJet Quick Shifter through a reasonable amount of testing and thus far the results are still better than I expected. I have done numerous full throttle shifts with rpm's near redline and the transition from gear to gear is very smooth. The only bike that I have ridden with a factory installed QS is a Aprilia Tuono and I would say that my bike with the DynoJet QS is every bit as smooth as the Tuono.

If you want quick shift capability and you already have a PCV, then the DynoJet QS is worth the money in my opinion. But then you know what they say about opinions.

#39 ·
nice test!
so, if I understand well you use only PC5 and his switch on the gear lever without any other thing.
right?

#41 ·
Thanks a lot.
So I need a 20-047 main unit (pc5), a 4-114 qs switch and a rod type B.
Next gift for my bike.

Reactions: sangedegsx
#48 ·
Hi, this is the right measure in millimeters

Attachments

Reactions: Iansbike
#51 · (Edited)
I'm not sure why you have that problem. Quick shifting with the Dynojet PCV/QS combination is intended to be done in a throttle-on/engine pulling condition. The PCV takes care of the slight "throttle-off" delay required to "unload" the transmission so that the shift can occur smoothly and with the least amount of stress on the transmission. Have you read my post number 36 on this thread? If not, read it and check your PCV settings against those in my post. If that doesn't help, call Dynojet. Their support has been good for me. Good luck.

#50 ·
Electronic stuff is nice, like AC and automatic transmissions and backup assist cameras. But, to me, riding a motorcycle is raw and in as direct contact with the environment as possible. Many people though love super huge bikes like Harley Davison Road Glides that I think even have automatic parking assist and backup cameras now. Heck, in a few years we can just sit back and read the morning paper while the vehicle does all of the driving electronically. I don't like that. I want to be exposed to the environment, get bugs in my teeth, carbon monoxide exhaust soot on my clothes and the smell of the dirty road on my skin. That's what riding is all about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.