LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Installed Chinese levers and bar-end mirrors today

I couldn't justify spending almost $400 on name brand mirrors and levers, so I spent $40 and accepted that I might have to put in some handy work

The levers were really cheap, like $22, and I didn't expect them to be perfect. They actually look very good! The fit was not perfect, however.

The clutch lever is a bit too narrow, so it has some slop. I cut up some plastic and squished it in around the bushing and now it's perfect.

The brake lever was actually too thick, so the lever wouldn't return upon release fast enough. It had a little ridge that was in the way. I sanded it down with some 80 grit sand paper I had laying around and it's good now. However, even with the lever adjusted all the way out, I found that I have to pull the lever quite far before it actuates the brake... Which is odd, because I can see it moving the master cylinder right away. I will deal with it for now, but it's definitely not optimal. As long as I make sure to use my 3 middle fingers to brake, I can still brake hard, it's just a little uncomfortably close to the bar.

As for the mirrors, they were also very cheap, $17 for the pair including hardware. They look pretty good, but don't have as much adjustability as the CRG mirrors have and they stick out a bit more. Keep in mind, they cost 1/10th of the price, though... Anyway, the left mirror works GREAT - it's steady, doesn't vibrate, and I can see WAY MORE than I could with the stock mirrors. These mirrors have a slight convexity to them, so you can see about 2x more side-to-side compared to the stock ones. That, combined with them being further out, means you can see a LOT more. IMO, it is spot-on. I included a picture of the stock mirrors and the new ones both mounted, so you can see the difference in zoom.

edit: I took the glass off of the mirror and tightened up the screws. It works great now.

The issue with these mirrors is on the right side. My right side mirror isn't mounted tight enough and it vibrates and shakes at speed (the actual mirror itself, mounted to the little arm with 2 screws). These screws are underneath the glass, so I will have to take the glass off to tighten them... Haven't gotten around to it yet, as I don't have any double sided tape laying around.
I do feel a bit more vibes through my hands now after removing those hefty bar end weights, but it's only noticeable at higher revs on the highway, and my hands are NOT numb when I get off after a ride.

BTW, I tried to flip the stock mirror mounts upside down to hide the screw holes, but the left mount cannot be flipped. The hole for the bar is not centered between the screw holes, so it only fits one way.

See the attached pictures for more details and I will also put links below.

Levers: Gold Short Durable CNC Clutch Brake Levers Set Suzuki GSX S1000 F ABS 2015 2016 | eBay

Mirrors:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160416_170351.jpg (247.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg 20160416_170341.jpg (234.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg 20160416_162216.jpg (149.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20160416_162200.jpg (131.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 20160416_152657.jpg (173.4 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by JeffroGymnast; 04-19-2016 at 01:24 AM.
post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I was leaning towards blue levers at first but I do like the way the gold look. Nice job.

'17 Husky 701 SM
post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
in relation to the clutch lever did you remove the collar from the OEM lever where the nut passes through and place it into your new lever?

I installed some similar levers and noticed you have to take the hollow shaft from the original lever and put it into these to make it less floppy (did I just say that)

No idea about the brake lever though as i just made sure the nipple on the brake master cylinder lined up with the recess on the lever as mine originally pulled at a bit of an angle rather than straight down.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueglue View Post
in relation to the clutch lever did you remove the collar from the OEM lever where the nut passes through and place it into your new lever?

I installed some similar levers and noticed you have to take the hollow shaft from the original lever and put it into these to make it less floppy (did I just say that)

No idea about the brake lever though as i just made sure the nipple on the brake master cylinder lined up with the recess on the lever as mine originally pulled at a bit of an angle rather than straight down.
Yes, I did move the bushing from the old clutch over to the new one. The slop that I mentioned was just due to the fact that the lever itself wasn't quite thick enough, which allowed the outer part of the lever to move up and down. I guess if the bushing was really tight, it would reduce that as well, but it's just mostly tight (good enough).

My MC nipple is indeed pushed into the recess. I suppose it's just the geometry of the lever that makes that recess further away than the stock one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
I was leaning towards blue levers at first but I do like the way the gold look. Nice job.
Thank you! I thought the gold might be too flashy, but it matches the forks well enough, and I think it looks great.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-28-2016, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
lookin real good

2016 S1000
post #6 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffroGymnast View Post
I couldn't justify spending almost $400 on name brand mirrors and levers, so I spent $40 and accepted that I might have to put in some handy work

The levers were really cheap, like $22, and I didn't expect them to be perfect. They actually look very good! The fit was not perfect, however.

The clutch lever is a bit too narrow, so it has some slop. I cut up some plastic and squished it in around the bushing and now it's perfect.

The brake lever was actually too thick, so the lever wouldn't return upon release fast enough. It had a little ridge that was in the way. I sanded it down with some 80 grit sand paper I had laying around and it's good now. However, even with the lever adjusted all the way out, I found that I have to pull the lever quite far before it actuates the brake... Which is odd, because I can see it moving the master cylinder right away. I will deal with it for now, but it's definitely not optimal. As long as I make sure to use my 3 middle fingers to brake, I can still brake hard, it's just a little uncomfortably close to the bar.

As for the mirrors, they were also very cheap, $17 for the pair including hardware. They look pretty good, but don't have as much adjustability as the CRG mirrors have and they stick out a bit more. Keep in mind, they cost 1/10th of the price, though... Anyway, the left mirror works GREAT - it's steady, doesn't vibrate, and I can see WAY MORE than I could with the stock mirrors. These mirrors have a slight convexity to them, so you can see about 2x more side-to-side compared to the stock ones. That, combined with them being further out, means you can see a LOT more. IMO, it is spot-on. I included a picture of the stock mirrors and the new ones both mounted, so you can see the difference in zoom.

edit: I took the glass off of the mirror and tightened up the screws. It works great now.

The issue with these mirrors is on the right side. My right side mirror isn't mounted tight enough and it vibrates and shakes at speed (the actual mirror itself, mounted to the little arm with 2 screws). These screws are underneath the glass, so I will have to take the glass off to tighten them... Haven't gotten around to it yet, as I don't have any double sided tape laying around.
I do feel a bit more vibes through my hands now after removing those hefty bar end weights, but it's only noticeable at higher revs on the highway, and my hands are NOT numb when I get off after a ride.

BTW, I tried to flip the stock mirror mounts upside down to hide the screw holes, but the left mount cannot be flipped. The hole for the bar is not centered between the screw holes, so it only fits one way.

Levers: Gold Short Durable CNC Clutch Brake Levers Set Suzuki GSX S1000 F ABS 2015 2016 | eBay

Mirrors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffroGymnast View Post

Mirrors:

Hey mate do this mirror need tools to flip them or can u flip them by hand. I have the fixed one which i absolutely love but really annoying when i am lane spliting through signal lights. I was hoping to get these one's and flip them while i am lane splitting through.

Cheers

Last edited by Junichi; 05-03-2016 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
I bought red anodized CRG-copy shorty levers and Rizoma-copy mirrors off of eBay from China for 60 bucks and they are both perfect.

TFG Black CNC Dynamic Side Mirrors Fit Universal Motorcycles | eBay

Brake Clutch Levers for Suzuki GSXR1000 GSXR600 GSXR750 GSX S1000 F ABS | eBay

The mirrors are remarkably high quality. Not cheap Chinese junk. Just as good quality as Rizoma. I was shocked when I installed them.

1-1986 Harley Sportster 883
2-1992 Suzuki Bandit 600
3-1993 Kawaski Ninja 600
4-1994 Suzuki GSXR600
5-1995 Buell M2 Cyclone
6-1996 Honda VTR1000
7-1997 Suzuki Hayabusa

8-1997 Suzuki DR650
9-1998 Yamaha VStar 1100
10-2000 Kawaski Z1000
11-2003 Yamaha FZ1
12-2005 Ducati S2R 1000
13-2006 Honda CBR600RR
14-2007 Honda CBR1000RR
15-2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000
16-2013 Harley Davidson Switchback

17-2016 Suzuki GSXS1000

post #8 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 12:42 PM

let's face it .....everything is made in China anyway ....I got some levers on the way

2016 S1000
post #9 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
True, but if you know how they live over there you'd see an entire family living in an efficacy apartment with the rooms so small that their toilet bowl (squatting hole) is inside their shower stall and their fold down bed is in their kitchen. These people don't mind living like this one bit. They are like ants in an ant hill. Millions of tiny ants crawling all over each other for survival. These ants crawl all over each other and find a way to sell these items for practically nothing just so they can buy rice and crickets to survive and take shits into a hold in the floor.

slothman likes this.

1-1986 Harley Sportster 883
2-1992 Suzuki Bandit 600
3-1993 Kawaski Ninja 600
4-1994 Suzuki GSXR600
5-1995 Buell M2 Cyclone
6-1996 Honda VTR1000
7-1997 Suzuki Hayabusa

8-1997 Suzuki DR650
9-1998 Yamaha VStar 1100
10-2000 Kawaski Z1000
11-2003 Yamaha FZ1
12-2005 Ducati S2R 1000
13-2006 Honda CBR600RR
14-2007 Honda CBR1000RR
15-2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000
16-2013 Harley Davidson Switchback

17-2016 Suzuki GSXS1000

Last edited by Thumper07; 05-03-2016 at 12:50 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 PM

God bless China for the mirrors that I already installed haha

2016 S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page