GSXS 1000 Forum banner

46 tooth rear sprocket

11K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Razorbak 
#1 ·
The used GSX-S I bought a few weeks ago has a 46 tooth Renthal rear sprocket on it. I have been reading where people put a 42 rear or 18 front on the bike to lower the revs.

I wouldn't mind having the vibrations reduced a little on the bike, but it pulls like a freight train coming out of slow corners and would hate to lose too much of that.

If I had the stock 44 tooth available I would just put that back on and see how it does, but it didn't come with the bike.

Anyone else go with a 46 tooth rear? Are you happy with it or was it just too much? Are you running a 190/50 or 190/55 tire on the rear? Mine has the 190/55, so I think that actually helps reduce the revs a little.

#3 ·
What is the amount of teeth of the front and rear sprockets, and the chain size?

#8 ·
The vibration is about 5-6k rev range & it will stay there, but if you gear up your speed will be higher before you reach that range, so that could make highway riding more comfortable. Alternatively if you gear down, you will be past that range at highway speed but revving higher & using more fuel plus a corresponding lower top speed. You takes your pick.

#9 ·
Im a bit late to the party here but will add my .2 for anyones future ref

I went to a 46 tooth Renthal rear and I thought it made the bike just right, vibrations were bearable and it had a good bit of grunt perceived as gained.
I then went 16T front to shorten gearing even more, it was a real hoot, neck snappping thrust all over the place and in any gear,, unfortunately, the amount of gear shifting and extra vibes due to powerband made it a bit of a pain, I went back to the 17T front - Also hitting limiter at 147mph had its draw backs as you hit it soo quickly.
TBH the bike feels too sedate now and I am going to revert once more and deal with the extra gear box usage.
The thrust and front air lift is just too addictive,, Im hoping some Hush grips will help over the top of my dominos to quash any vibes and an ECU reflash or X-TRE will take car of speed limiter and give me a bit more up top.

Ride safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.