LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pair valve mod question

Hello again

so in my ongoing quest to perfect my PCV tune I want to make sure I have the pair valve handled correctly.

I understand that it needs to be disabled when installing a PCV and autotune. My question is regarding weather the "marble" method is sufficient to consider the pair valve disabled. If i simply plug the hole and thus block the air supply for pair valve does that completely eliminate the air that passes through it? Do the valve doors still open? If the doors still open I can imagine a small amount of random air still getting inside.

Is there a way to keep the valve doors closed without taking the pair system out?
post #2 of 16 Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
Hello again

so in my ongoing quest to perfect my PCV tune I want to make sure I have the pair valve handled correctly.

I understand that it needs to be disabled when installing a PCV and autotune. My question is regarding weather the "marble" method is sufficient to consider the pair valve disabled. If i simply plug the hole and thus block the air supply for pair valve does that completely eliminate the air that passes through it? Do the valve doors still open? If the doors still open I can imagine a small amount of random air still getting inside.

Is there a way to keep the valve doors closed without taking the pair system out?
In my opinion, the marble method is just as effective, assuming there are no leaks elsewhere in the system. I've done it that way on many suzukis and never had an issue. I used a steel ball-bearing this time around, as it was the appropriate size.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
If you go to eBay and search "pair smog valve eliminator" you can get just that to fool the ecu that it is still connected but it will be disconnected

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue

post #4 of 16 Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My ECU was flashed and I was advised to disconnect PAIR hose, which I did, but I didn't plug it with marble or anything. Do I have to and what if I don't?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 Old 03-09-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
If you go to eBay and search "pair smog valve eliminator" you can get just that to fool the ecu that it is still connected but it will be disconnected

I actually have one of the connectors already. When the connector is attached, does it keep the valve doors closed permanently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 Old 03-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Garage
Hmm, I have not actually had one of them solenoids in my hand to see mechanically how they seal but I would have thought it would be designed to seal properly when not energised.
JeffroGymnast likes this.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #7 of 16 Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
Hmm, I have not actually had one of them solenoids in my hand to see mechanically how they seal but I would have thought it would be designed to seal properly when not energised.
Thats what I was assuming....would save the hassle of installing blockoff plates. I hate assuming things though because thats when it turns out to be the opposite for some reason you never thought to consider. I'm in the process of tuning out some deceleration pop and pretty much ruled out exhaust leak.....PCV has made a huge difference in addressing this.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
Thats what I was assuming....would save the hassle of installing blockoff plates. I hate assuming things though because thats when it turns out to be the opposite for some reason you never thought to consider. I'm in the process of tuning out some deceleration pop and pretty much ruled out exhaust leak.....PCV has made a huge difference in addressing this.

Here's the values I used for the deceleration and almost eliminated it and I only get the very odd pop

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #9 of 16 Old 11-11-2018, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Can i please get more details on what this marble mod is?
I just installed Arrow headers, and am struggling, what to do with the butterfly assembly, especially since one of the cables has run inside, and refuses to come out....

I've also understood that I do not need the PCV servo eliminator, if i can do the same in the ECU flash during dyno tune.

Appreciate, your guidance on the best way out to fix it poroperly....
post #10 of 16 Old 11-11-2018, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can i please get more details on what this marble mod is?
I just installed Arrow headers, and am struggling, what to do with the butterfly assembly, especially since one of the cables has run inside, and refuses to come out....

I've also understood that I do not need the PCV servo eliminator, if i can do the same in the ECU flash during dyno tune.

Appreciate, your guidance on the best way out to fix it poroperly....
The marble mod is just inserting a marble in the hose from the PAIR solenoid to the airbox to prevent air being pumped into the exhaust on deceleration, not a performance mod, just to reduce the popping on the over run,

With a flash, you can turn the error off for the exhaust valve which means you can lose the entire mechanism, saving almost another Kilogramme.

If you are having a flash, better to remove the pair valve entirely and use block off plates (more weight saving) and turn the error off in the flash again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page