• 1 Post By G-Dub

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-11-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Narrower handlebars and under bar mirrors?

Two questions. Come off a 2009 SV650s and the GSX-S 1000f had much wider handlebars (27.5" vs 30.5"), and then mickey mouse mirrors that are even wider at 36"! I split a lane for the first time and was scared I would get hooked. Stock mirrors don't fold in either plus they are at the height of most car mirrors. So really looking for suggestions on 2 things. I did read back on most existing mirror threads on the forum. If I'm doubling up on previously asked questions I'm sorry, new to this forum.

1.)
Can I cut down bar ends let say 1" or so? Or will that ruin how the grips etc are attached to it. Never done fabrication mods other than all the typical basic add-ons to a bike before.

2.)
After research I'm thinking that under bar handlebars are the way to go. Even stock mirrors I have hard time looking past my body. I've seen people talking about flipping clamps upside down, guess it depends on the mirror if I can use existing threaded base right? Most important part is that they don't stick out past the bar ends.

Hope that was clear enough, hoping somebody has some advice. If not I'll have to order something and experiment, just hard to drop $100/mirror not knowing if they will work out.
Thanks!
post #2 of 6 Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Updating this just in case somebody has similar question.

1.) So I still have the question regarding the cutting down of the handlebar.

2.) After further research and a closer look at the bike I realized that the fairings are incredibly tight to the bottom of the handlebar and won't allow for an under bar mirror setup. I ordered a single CRG Arrow bar end mirror off Amazon ($85). It is adjustable and can rotate to position mirror behind the handlebar.

RevZilla link included because it has more pics and installation PDF. Will update thread after install.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...bar-end-mirror
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bar clearance.jpg (64.5 KB, 65 views)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Choose carefully...you wouldn't want to "lose face" over this. (Check the pic.)

Regarding cutting - I think it might work IF the bar is a consistent diameter up to the bend so that there's no problems with any of the clamps. Also, I would remove the switch assemblies to see if the bar is completely smooth in that area. When I installed my throttle tamer, I seem to remember that the switch assembly snapped together only once it was in a specific position, almost like there was a groove or something in the bar to help lock it into position.
Nfredriksen likes this.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold

post #4 of 6 Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Doing you all a favor by blurring out that ugly mug haha.

And very interesting. Will do the mirror mods first and see how that feels. Not sure if cutting 2" total off the bars would really accomplish that much. Do some pretty snug lanesplitting though, mirrors gotta go for sure. Thanks!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Of course, you'd gain that much by just removing the bar ends, but you would lose the extra protection and maybe gain some vibes.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #6 of 6 Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I did the CRG lane splitters because I don't like the bunny ears that come with the bike. I folded them in and got through about 2 miles of stand still highway traffic no problems..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page