4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Windshield comparison: California Scientific vs MRA

Hi all, I tested out 4 windshield configurations on my GSX-S1000F.

I tested:
  • MRA RM Racing windshield
  • California Scientific Medium Clear windshield
  • stock F windshield
  • removed windshield

Removed windshield and stock windshield were surprisingly similar -- demonstrating how poor the stock windscreen operates as a....windscreen. Stock windscreen looks best to me, however, as it seems best integrated with the styling of the bike.

The CalSci windshield was better at deflecting wind from my body, but there was a lot of turbulence RIGHT around the base of my helmet. I am 6'6", so this windshield would probably work really well for a shorter person. I think the CalSci would be downright peaceful if you were 6' or under. My biggest complaint with the CalSci is that the front brake master cylinder contacts the windscreen when the bar is turned all the way.

The MRA Racing windshield seemed to have better aero vs the CalSci, on a high speed run. It looks the strangest, but I like how funky it is and let's face it....these F models aren't the belle of the ball. It accentuates the bike's 'scooter' look a bit, which is funny to me. It's my literscooter. It also looks a bit like an exotic bird. All of this aesthetic speculation aside, the MRA windshield doesn't bring the airflow above my helmet, but it hits me in a very comfortable position on my upper chest. It is much more stable at triple-digit speeds than the stock screen. I think its build quality is a touch better than the CalSci.

So I'm keeping the MRA. That said, I think CalSci was an absolute pleasure to work with -- not only does an actual human pick up the phone when you call, he may have helped design the windshield. They're a great company.

I would have liked to test the MRA Touring screen, but it was backordered from Twisted Throttle. I'd love to hear from anybody who has tried both the Racing and Touring screen.
post #2 of 28 Old 11-04-2017, 06:14 PM

Location: Palm Coast Florida , 38 years in Hawaii until august 2017
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I was thinking of having both CalSci screens

Tall for winter and long trips - looks like the most wind protection available
Shorter for summer
post #3 of 28 Old 11-04-2017, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Garage
I was not unhappy with the stock windshield but I found a cheap tinted version on ebay (not the same seller but looks identical) and decided to try it. It's the same height and general shape of the stock shield, but does have a slight double bubble configuration. When I installed it, I hadn't had enough miles with the stock shield to do a really good comparison, but I think is as good as stock, and maybe better at highway speeds. Keep in mind that I have fought the windshield battle on multiple bikes, I hate buffeting, and am biased towards having a good helmet and my head in the wind with my torso protected.

post #4 of 28 Old 11-05-2017, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
I'm running the ebay screen linked above (or something nearly identical). I still get buffeting right at the base of my helmet causing excessive noise, even with earplugs and a fancy Shoei GT Air helmet. That screen was so cheap I thought I might try cutting it down in increments to see if that would help. But from what you said about the MRA, I might give it a try.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #5 of 28 Old 11-15-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greg -- having both CalSci screens would be cool. It's cumbersome to switch between stock and aftermarket screens, but switching between CalSci screens is very easy. Having the tinted screen in the summer, and clear screen in the shoulder months, would be a great look. As long as you aren't bothered by the interference between the handlebars and the windscreen.

mike d -- Interesting!! I might have to buy that windshield, just to try it out. The price is right. I am also biased towards having a good helmet, but at my height, the wind protection from the F was embarrassing. I needed slightly better protection from a motorcycle with fairings.

G-Dub -- The MRA looks goofy, but it's the best for me. Depending on your height, the CalSci might be better for you. If you are below 6 ft, and don't mind the minor contact, the CalSci could be great. I see that you purchased an MRA in another thread...good for you! It's leagues better than the stock windscreen.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
I have an extra stock screen and want to cut it down. I used the Powerbronze screen on my first bike and wasn't crazy about it - it's probably the best looking of the aftermarket screens, but was more of a change rather than an improvement.

If I had time and money I might do a custom screen w/ CalSci - I think they're into it.
post #7 of 28 Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I also have the cheap tinted screen mentioned above and am happy with it. I'm 6'-4" and it hits me on the chest under my helmet. Do get some air pushed up under helmet even though I have a chin curtain. The tinted screen improves the look of the bike, the clear one made it invisible and looking unfinished with the fairings.

2016 GSX-S 1000f
2009 SV650s
post #8 of 28 Old 11-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
did you take any pics of the screens on the F?

2016 GSX-S1000F
post #9 of 28 Old 11-16-2017, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
One thing I haven't yet understood: I used to have a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, and I never felt the wind hit me below maybe 85mph. The screen certainly isn't tall, so I don't get what's so different - why it can't be done on the GSX-S w/o a huge hideous screen. Does ours maybe start lower? It doesn't look that different size wise.

post #10 of 28 Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post
One thing I haven't yet understood: I used to have a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, and I never felt the wind hit me below maybe 85mph. The screen certainly isn't tall, so I don't get what's so different - why it can't be done on the GSX-S w/o a huge hideous screen. Does ours maybe start lower? It doesn't look that different size wise.

Ours lies a little more horizontal, and comes to a much sharper point, than that; and our point is a little further forward. Ours cuts through the air where the Sprint slams into it.

Imagine a circle in the air that the bike is going to pass through. As the nose of the bike passes through the circle, the air that was there has to be pushed out of the way. Ultimately the same (or nearly enough) cross-sectional area of air has to be moved out of the way for both bikes. With the longer and sharper point, that cross-section is pushed a little ways out at a time, requiring less force and taking place over a greater distance, as the point passes through that circle. This means that the pressure in all directions at any instant will be less. Though it's not entirely accurate, you can think of the pressure on the air like a force pushing a block across a table from one fixed point to another. If you push hard and fast, the block will coast further past the end point than if you push lightly and slowly.

There's a lot more complexity that goes into, but hopefully that's sufficient to get what's going on. The triumph is pushing the air harder for a shorter time resulting in a larger area of displaced air.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page