User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
EBC Carbon Fiber clutch option

I replaced my clutch with an EBC CK series cork clutch a few months back. It works fine, but has a longer lever travel though that I donít care for. I was a little disappointed to put a cork clutch in my bike. I know, shoulda/coulda/woulda gone back with stock. I just didnít want to pay the price for stock at the time, and I wasnít happy with its lack of abuse taking ability. For that price we should be able to get an upgraded aftermarket clutch. (Iím a middle aged rider with 38 years of track, drag race, and motocross experience, so please spare me the ďlearn how to rideĒ comments.) Our tall first gear is a problem for this bike at the drag strip in regards to clutch longevity, in my opinion. I have always had good luck with EBC clutch kits though. I was looking through a PDF of EBC clutch catalog, and they make a CKF series carbon fiber clutch for our pre- slipper clutch bikes. I never could find anything other than Barnett (a pass for me) for our bikes in a Carbon Fiber compound, and was disappointed. Anyway, still today, nobody carries the EBC CKF4510 carbon fiber clutch for our bike. I called EBC USA, they said they have more than 10 in stock here in the states, and were not sure why nobody lists or stocks it. They gave me a list of U.S. distributors, and I found a local guy that is placing a special order request through his distributor so I can finally get the clutch I wanted in the first place. If anybody is interested, there is another clutch alternative here in the states. You may have to dig a little to get one though.

post #2 of 5 Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
What sort of mileage did you get out of the original? Did you change because it wore out or other reason?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-13-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I did too many back to back runs at the drag strip. It got pretty hot, and lever feel was compromised, it had a very long engagement.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I finally have this clutch in my physical possession. It does exist! It should make for a tougher option for those of us that push the bike at the strip and/or track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66878A2E-5D85-47C8-BF7F-4359CA159ABC_1518539683756.jpg (120.8 KB, 18 views)

post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
I ended up with mixed feeligns using different plate material.. In ways, its like anything else with its pluses and minuses. I was running mine offroad, so the street may be a better use for the carbon material.????

I did not really care for the way they engaged. I felt like they tended to grab harder. Maybe an advantage in some situations? Also, the play was very inconsistent and required constant adjustment.

Also, as the carbon would wear, it tore up all the clutch pieces and I had to replace them. I chose aftermarket Hinson parts. I wish they made street clutches.........

I remember seeing this on the warranty registration form for my Hinson clutch.

""""" You must register your product at Hinson Clutch Components to activate your warranty. Use of Kevlar and carbon fiber clutch plates will cause excessive wear and will void your warranty. """""

The real problem with our stock clutches is the springs. When people look at new bikes, they hate a heavy clutch pull. For that reason, our stock springs are as weal as they can possibly use.

Good luck with them, and please report back as time goes on. I learned to avoid all aftermarket plates, use only oem , but for sure use heavy duty springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page