• 2 Post By roy826

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help!!

Hi all, come to get my bike out of storage to give it a good old clean and once over to find my right hand side mirror clamp is broken!! Going to ask the lads I share the storage with if any of them know about it, but I need a new one, anyone know where I can get one? Iíll attach a picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Garage
Should be able to order from any OEM Parts supplier. Where are you located? I'm in the US and finding that on the fiche on rockymountainatvmc.com should be pretty simple, but we'd need to know where you are to point you in the right direction.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Iím in the U.K, Iíve spoken to my local dealer, they are able to get it delivered to me on Wednesday for £20 which isnít too bad! Just annoying as no one has any idea how it happened

post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Garage
That's good. Could have been bumped and broken. I wonder if it's possible to over tighten these on this bike. I've done so on my dirt bike and broken them. Possible it was too tight and the temp changes might have played a part. Either way, you'll be fixed up soon.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBoyd View Post
Iím in the U.K, Iíve spoken to my local dealer, they are able to get it delivered to me on Wednesday for £20 which isnít too bad! Just annoying as no one has any idea how it happened

Just had a look on Fowlers and that part is coming in at £17.20 + VAT + delivery so £20 delivered is right on the price.
MichaelBoyd likes this.

We're here for a good time, not a long time. (woolich, PCv, K&N, T-Rex, HM plus SS)
post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage
It shouldn't really break at the top bolt.
Sorry if you already know this but - Top is to be tightened first so that the joint faces meet and there is no stress there. The lower bolt is tightened last to leave a gap between the faces.
I never tighten mine too tight so that if the bike is dropped the whole thing can spin round limiting chance of breakage.
Have seen quite a few on ebay - used.
MichaelBoyd likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker View Post
It shouldn't really break at the top bolt.
Sorry if you already know this but - Top is to be tightened first so that the joint faces meet and there is no stress there. The lower bolt is tightened last to leave a gap between the faces.
I never tighten mine too tight so that if the bike is dropped the whole thing can spin round limiting chance of breakage.
Have seen quite a few on ebay - used.
Sorry Dekker,
But totally disagree. This IMHO is how to actually cause a breakage in the clamp at the end with the gap.
I say that they should be evenly gapped and nipped with the same pressure, just like a head gasket.
If one end is hard up, the clamp is being pulled with in a direction from the closed gap to the open gap, like bending and breaking a stick over your knee.
I learned an expensive lesson at work when I put a pipe over the cast steel bar handle of a hand cranked chain rotor winch which was pulling vertically a 2 tonne heavy load.

The pipe was not a good enough fit, a little bit sloppy, but over a about 100 something 90 degree cranks of the extended handle, the handle snapped clean through with the metal all crystallised just like in the mirror. In this mirror example, the handle bar is the pivot point which the clamp is being stretched over.

Rob.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
No actually Dekker is right, top snugged down completely then bottom is used for tension to tighten the clam to the bar. It has been like this on every Suzuki since the beginning of time.
dekker and PhuketPaul like this.

2016 GSX-S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page