post #1 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Fuel Consumption and Flashing ECU

I would love to hear other peoples experiences with this:

I have flashed quite a few GSXS1000 and 750s now and all seem to have the same problem...

Before the flash the fuel consumption is extremely good and range estimate on the bikes was usually around 250km (160miles) when full.

After flashing fuel range is down to about 150-160km and fuel consumption is between 9 and 10 km/L

BUT this is only on the gauge

My actual fuel consumption is about 15 km/L (45MPG UK, 36 MPG US) and the the bike still does at least 220km (140 miles) per tank

Has anyone else experienced this issue after flashing (or not - if you have had your bike flashed and not experienced this change in indicated fuel consumption)
post #2 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I get 45-47mpg USA. No idea what it was before my flash as I flashed it with 6 miles on ODO. sorry I cannot give experience pre/post flash. This isn't a commuter for me however, so all my riding is pretty spirited vs cruising. Disable fuel cut is probably a large contributor to a decrease in mileage? I'd trade that luxury everyday though.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-22-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I get 45-47mpg USA. No idea what it was before my flash as I flashed it with 6 miles on ODO. sorry I cannot give experience pre/post flash. This isn't a commuter for me however, so all my riding is pretty spirited vs cruising. Disable fuel cut is probably a large contributor to a decrease in mileage? I'd trade that luxury everyday though.
I'm not really looking at the change in fuel consumption (That is inevitable with running at correct AFR rather than too lean) but more whether the gauges are reading correctly after flashing

post #4 of 19 Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
That's very impressive fuel economy, especially considering the flash and the generally spirited riding.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-23-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I mis understood the OP post. and I ride 90% highways, but I do wheelies and play around a lot. so I guess it really comes hand in hand on being fuel efficient for me as its just straight line acceleration and cruising. I have my O2 sensor left on, so when I just cruise at a steady speed I think it drops into that efficient mode.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
I flashed the ECU on my GSXS many, many times.
No issues whatsoever, neither fuel gauge, nor consumption.
Average consumption during the three years I had it was 0.43 l/10km.
It did use a little more for a short while when disabling the O2-sensor/closed loop, but that was soon fixed by adjusting the IAP fuel (base) tables

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #7 of 19 Old 12-25-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1441 View Post
I flashed the ECU on my GSXS many, many times.
No issues whatsoever, neither fuel gauge, nor consumption.
Average consumption during the three years I had it was 0.43 l/10km.
It did use a little more for a short while when disabling the O2-sensor/closed loop, but that was soon fixed by adjusting the IAP fuel (base) tables
That's incredibly good fuel consumption, 370km per tank - never got anywhere near that, pre or post flash.

After you flashed did the available range on the gauge not get worse? Almost everyone I've spoken too said theirs gauge range got dramatically worse even though the actual distance travelled on a tank didn't change.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-26-2018, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
range seems to adjust the closer you get to empty..if i short fill getting gas ,when not close to empty the range reads low...120 140....when filling at 180 mile traveled range shows 160....i seen range readings go up as i rode........more we have to look at the more we worry about nothing
oldjackbob likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-26-2018, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
My Bike is stock, am getting between 17 to 22 Km/litre
post #10 of 19 Old 12-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Mine has literally ran out with last bar flashing and only 150 miles on the tank. My bike is flashed with FTECU's hot race flash. Yes it is too rich in spots IMO. They're clueless and that is another story all together. My mileage shows low 30s to high 30s at best. Stock it was mid 40s to low 50.

2016 GSX-S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page