56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 146 Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Jerky throttle quick fix

After 17000km and hating the jerky throttle I decided to do something about it (I know I'm a procrastinator) I've read about all the fixes, TPS,ECU flash,TRE etc, but I have an easier fix, costs nothing and takes about 3 minutes.
GSXS1000F
Here's what I did
Remove the pillion seat and locate diagnostic plug
Remove cap on plug and using a piece of thin wire,a paper clip will do,bridge the 2 bottom pins
Turn on the ignition and you will notice the diagnostic icon on the instrument panel
The bar should be in the central position
Turn the throttle to the full open position, don't start the bike, the bar will go to the top position, hold there for a couple of seconds
Turn off ignition
Repeat, I did it 3 times but you might only have to do it once
Remove the wire
Start the bike, I immediately noticed a difference in the exhaust note
Rode out of my driveway and the throttle was more responsive and felt like it had more torque
Rode along a very rough and bumpy road that would previously have the throttle going from off to on and was a real PIA but now I am able to hold a steady throttle
Tried riding 5th gear 40km/hr, smooth and steady and will accelerate easily
Thought i'd give it a run through the mountain twisties, what a difference, back off the throttle no more feeling like you've just opened a parachute, just normal engine braking then smooth acceleration through the corners.
Previously I hated this bike and was going to sell it even though I would have taken a huge financial hit, now I love it and can't stay off it.
Many will be skeptical of this, but it worked so well for me, I've been riding bikes for over 62 years and I've never had such a huge performance improvement for such little efffort or cost
Try it, what have you got to lose?
blackerchief and normal like this.
post #2 of 146 Old 02-09-2019, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
But as you say below this only works if the throttle is in the Central position - If its further out it needs adjusting first as the learned value only has a very small range of adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
After 17000km and hating the jerky throttle I decided to do something about it (I know I'm a procrastinator) I've read about all the fixes, TPS,ECU flash,TRE etc, but I have an easier fix, costs nothing and takes about 3 minutes.
GSXS1000F
Here's what I did
Remove the pillion seat and locate diagnostic plug
Remove cap on plug and using a piece of thin wire,a paper clip will do,bridge the 2 bottom pins
Turn on the ignition and you will notice the diagnostic icon on the instrument panel
The bar should be in the central position
Turn the throttle to the full open position, don't start the bike, the bar will go to the top position, hold there for a couple of seconds
Turn off ignition
Repeat, I did it 3 times but you might only have to do it once
Remove the wire
Start the bike, I immediately noticed a difference in the exhaust note
Rode out of my driveway and the throttle was more responsive and felt like it had more torque
Rode along a very rough and bumpy road that would previously have the throttle going from off to on and was a real PIA but now I am able to hold a steady throttle
Tried riding 5th gear 40km/hr, smooth and steady and will accelerate easily
Thought i'd give it a run through the mountain twisties, what a difference, back off the throttle no more feeling like you've just opened a parachute, just normal engine braking then smooth acceleration through the corners.
Previously I hated this bike and was going to sell it even though I would have taken a huge financial hit, now I love it and can't stay off it.
Many will be skeptical of this, but it worked so well for me, I've been riding bikes for over 62 years and I've never had such a huge performance improvement for such little efffort or cost
Try it, what have you got to lose?
post #3 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
You know what's funny about your post is that today I was checking on my 17 model for the tps setting and on the dash is displayed the coo but no line apparently the 17 18 models don't have the adjustment and I was just checking things.
So I'm there twisting the throttle back and forth thinking maybe something is out of whack as there is no little line to speak of so about 1/2 hour later I go for a ride and start thinking I must be getting used to the twitchy throttle but then I see your post it's got me �� Thinking.

post #4 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sounds great - but what made you do this 3 times? Was it something you were looking/listening for? I want to try this fix before I start spending money! Thanks.
post #5 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
do you turn off ignition while holding throttle open or after you close throttle
post #6 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
do you turn off ignition while holding throttle open or after you close throttle
According to Suzuki it only learns the closed throttle position and it does it whilst riding...... and thus opening and closing the throttle
post #7 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 12:29 PM

well checked mine today with jump wire..line is on bottom...on the naked i assume tank has to be like in your video lifted
post #8 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
well checked mine today with jump wire..line is on bottom...on the naked i assume tank has to be like in your video lifted
think i know the answer.....just might have to give it a try
Old Bob likes this.
post #9 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I don't know about that Paul mine just happened to be in the middle position
post #10 of 146 Old 02-10-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
No, only reason I did it 3 times was to see if it changed the position of the bar, which it didn't, may work if you do it once I don't know but it only takes seconds
BorderReiver likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page