User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Does exhaust valve need disconnecting after Flash?

The ECU is being flashed at Danos today and He called me to discuss the changes I would like to make. Let me say that he has excellent communication skills and was very thorough explaining to me what the various changes would accomplish. The one thing we were unsure of I think maybe because he does so many different bikes is whether or not the gsx-s exhaust valve is held open once it's flashed out of the ECU. Will I need to unhook the cables and wire open the exhaust flapper or does the spring hold it in the open position? Also do I need to unplug the servo I mean can I just leave it all hooked up or does it all need to come out? I've already capped the pair valve and should I unplug it and also the O2 sensor does that need to be unplug? I appreciate the input gentleman and my hats off to Dano for taking the time to phone me and speak with me about the Flash.
post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I wish I could answer questions, are you disabling the o2 sensor for any particular reason? Many of us have them left on (per his recommendation) and runs great.

The servo thing, I think you have to manually switch it to open and unhook it or something like that.

Idk, I’ve read about people doing it a hundred times but honestly since I didn’t do it, forgot what I read.

Google it using gsxr as search, you should find a lot of info on it. Disconnecting the servo flaps is common for on those forums.

I’d ask but I got banned off the gsxr forums. Lol
SlowGSXSRider likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGSXSRider View Post
The ECU is being flashed at Danos today and He called me to discuss the changes I would like to make. Let me say that he has excellent communication skills and was very thorough explaining to me what the various changes would accomplish. The one thing we were unsure of I think maybe because he does so many different bikes is whether or not the gsx-s exhaust valve is held open once it's flashed out of the ECU. Will I need to unhook the cables and wire open the exhaust flapper or does the spring hold it in the open position? Also do I need to unplug the servo I mean can I just leave it all hooked up or does it all need to come out? I've already capped the pair valve and should I unplug it and also the O2 sensor does that need to be unplug? I appreciate the input gentleman and my hats off to Dano for taking the time to phone me and speak with me about the Flash.
Most evidence suggests the set valve is there to pass noise restrictions tests as it opens/closes at those rpm's. As the valve closes exhaust gases will speed up but then slow down after they pass which negates any scavenging that may be possible.

If you turn it off in the flash then I'd suggest removing it. A member on here had his dislodge whilst riding after leaving it in and turning it off in his flash.

If you're turning all of this off it would make sense to remove the servo motor etc.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
It will remain open if it is not being told to close by ecu or better yet has no cables to close it. Best bet is just undo the cables and have him turn it off in the ECU. That way once it is tuned off in ECU you can ditch the heavy stock exhaust one day. After it is turned off you can remove the whole SET motor if you like and not just the cables.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #5 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Okay so you guys know my plan is dcat stock air filter but by the end of year I plan full exhaust so I'm having him do all the options in the Flash including full exhaust fuel map. The only thing I'm not going to do is raise the rev limiter. After searching through and reading many of the threads on the flash / dcat I am still unsure if the sensors are being completely disabled and the computer is not looking for them anymore or is it just not letting the computer see the error codes? I'm wondering will it be okay to leave them all plugged in to the computer or do I need to unplug the electrical connections to each sensor that is disabled?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGSXSRider View Post
Okay so you guys know my plan is dcat stock air filter but by the end of year I plan full exhaust so I'm having him do all the options in the Flash including full exhaust fuel map. The only thing I'm not going to do is raise the rev limiter. After searching through and reading many of the threads on the flash / dcat I am still unsure if the sensors are being completely disabled and the computer is not looking for them anymore or is it just not letting the computer see the error codes? I'm wondering will it be okay to leave them all plugged in to the computer or do I need to unplug the electrical connections to each sensor that is disabled?
Some of mine are still plugged up (pair and evap) but most are un-plugged and removed from the bike. Once it is off in ECU it is not working anymore at the sensor or item turned off.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #7 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Garage
So you disable the fi error in the flash not the function. Get rid of it, it will take you an hour if you take your time. Get rid of your o2 also, fuel economy is for nerds.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
My bike is all stock I had it dyno tuned woolich flash.
The exup valve Was not disabled after flash so I asked the dyno tuner about it and he said that he was getting the best
Results with it still running.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
i can say on my 2016, it was sprung closed, so the ecu would need to be operative to keep it open
post #10 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarykiwi View Post
i can say on my 2016, it was sprung closed, so the ecu would need to be operative to keep it open
so

So that would mean I would have to safety wire it in the open position. I guess I will find out this weekend when I pull the exhaust to remove the cat and the muffler box. Should be able to look in there and see if it's sprung open or shut. This is also on a 2016.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page