• 1 Post By Beerded Wanderer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exhaust note changing randomly on stock exhaust

I posted about this before, but am hoping to see if anyone else has had this experience, or if there is a fix for it.

I have a 2016 naked. I have noticed that there are certain times that the exhaust note is deeper and more burly than other times, and it sounds like a beast. Like, at idle, all through the Rev range, at various throttle openings. Other times in similar riding conditions it just sounds more high pitched and less loud... More buzzy and electric almost.

2016 naked. Only engine mods are booster plug (which I got as an experiment to see if it would help this), k&n filter, removed intake baffle, optimized TPS, iridium plugs, and regular maintenance. This has been happening before and after any modifications.

It doesn't really appear to affect performance. Mostly sound and feeling. My guess at this point is that the exhaust valve is not operating properly. I know the specs that it is supposed to operate in, and those conditions don't seem to have any connection to this change in sound. It's like one day it will sound great, and the next day in the same riding conditions it sounds choked.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their bike? My next plan is to get the exhaust servo valve eliminator and remove the servo. Has anyone done this with stock exhaust and noticed any difference? Iv seen mixed info all across the forum on this topic, so was hoping to create a place to put together some clear answers.

Had anyone else noticed this? And any ideas what may be going on?
post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
About, the noise, well...it is just noise. Paul has a whole page about the exhaust valve in its website, complete with maps, and concluded it is mostly for noise regulations. The stock mapping for the valve just does not make any sense, .not to me... It is all over the place and changes with gears. From wide open at idle, to almost close in some gears, at low RPMs

...Yeah, I have the Woolich software, and had it disabled all together once, but knowing than restricting the exhaust at low RPMs helps drivability, (non-restricted exhaust is only needed after 6K rpms) I chose to enable it, but completely remapped it to what I think it should be. Namely; equalized all gears, including neutral, and open the valve gradually, from 40% at idle to 100% at 6K rpms. ...completely opposite than stock,...... and am still experimenting with it.

...would this fix your "problem"??....not likely. We all hate different things that irritate us, or have different obsessions. Am not after more power,.,,, the bike already has more that I could handle......and like the mellow bark of the stock exhaust, thus am more interested in improving driveability at low speed than anything else....noise,....well, I wear ear plugs, always, against the wind noise, and I can only says, I like what I hear at idle, and like it when it revs in gears, after the clutch bites....

Last edited by hugojose; 08-16-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Garage
I disabled it with stock everything. Sounds deeper at idle, otherwise I didn't notice much.
frog4aday likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks both of you. Ya I spent time looking at Paul's site regarding the valve, and mine is clearly not following any discernable pattern like that.

Also, I just checked it with bike off and at idle, and it seems that the valve only moves a couple millimeters a either direction when I move it manually. This is making me think there is something off with mine. Anybody else see if theirs has more play than that? I would think it should at least go to 90 degrees.

At this point, this sound issue is the only thing I don't like about this bike. And it's weird that every other day it sounds like heaven (how I think it should) and then other times in the same circumstances it sounds lame.

I'm thinking about trying to delete it as an experiment, but an also tempted to take advantage of the m4 group buy.

Last edited by trasher; 08-17-2019 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page