• 1 Post By frog4aday

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
12 O’clock Labs Speedo DRD

I purchased the Speedo DRD from 12 O’clock Labs and got it installed on my 2016 GSXS1000 naked yesterday. I purchased the U1 model. They emailed to me, the specific installation instructions before I purchased as I read about in here somewhere. It is $80 shipped, which is about $40 cheaper than the Healtech unit for my bike. I had used the Speedo DRD on three of my other bikes already, and it works perfectly. I used a speed app on my phone to get it quickly calibrated, and that’s it. On my other bikes it was plug and play. On this one though, be warned, you have to cut wires between the Speedo unit and the bike just below the plug that goes into the Speedo unit. I soldered and shrink wrapped all of my joints, and then re wrapped with the Suzuki fabric electrical tape, then my own. The tiny electronic unit is stored nicely behind the headlight housing. I have eight motorcycles. I was sick of trying to remember how fast or slow I could ride without concern of exceeding speed limits or getting trouble with the law on each bike as they were all off at different percentages due to gearing, etc. I bought one for my RC51, it worked perfectly, so I bought the plug and play units for my SV1000S, and my TL1000S. Perfect! (I changed to 120/70 17 front tires on my sv650s ‘s, and that made speedos very close to correct on them) I was gonna buy the Healtech for this bike, since they listed one. But then I read an old thread on here where somebody had a SpeedoDRD fitted at the manufacturer. I emailed them, a week later I am in business. I am very happy with these little units. They are very, very small, and easy to install and use. This one was the most difficult to install, but was still super easy for me. If you know how to do a wire splice, it isn’t hard. Again, you have to cut or strip factory wiring to fit it. Do not use crappy snap lock wire taps. If you use wire taps, buy the good weather proof ones. This is not 100% reversible.

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The email I was sent:

Hello, you will need SpeedoDRD model U1
http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.p...&product_id=59

Install instructions for the 2015-2016 GSX-S1000 and GSX-S1000F:
1) Cut the Pink/White wire about 2" away from the speedometer gauge plug, (motorcycle harness side).
2) Connect the SDRD WHITE wire to the Pink/White wire "motorcycle harness side".
3) Connect the SDRD BLUE wire to the Pink/White wire "speedometer side".
4) Connect the SDRD BLACK wire to the Black/White.
5) Connect the SDRD Red wire to the Red/White.

Also, on the F model, you can access the same wire harness inside the right side fairing,
you only need to remove the black top panel. You'll see all the wires going up to the dash.
Match colors according to the dash side of the connecter as specified above.

Thanks,
-Brooks
mike d, oldjackbob and frog4aday like this.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Twag4,
Thanks for posting this. I was just considering a speedo-healer for the GSX-S today, wondering if there was a 'plug-n-play' option. It seems bikes with ABS are not usually that simple. Same applies in this case. Cut wires. Splice. Retape. Not plug and play, but doesn't sound too bad in this case. (It's more involved on the Super Tenere as the wiring loom is under the tank.)

But I feel just like you - I hate looking at the speedo and doing the 'mental math' to figure out my ACTUAL speed, then figuring out what 5 and 10mph over would be (with the error.) I'd just prefer that what I see is what I'm actually doing (speedwise.) I don't really care that the odometer will be off a little after fitting the speedohealer. Not a big concern for me.
twag4 likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Remember, mine is a 2016. I make no claims about newer bikes!

post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Remember, mine is a 2016. I make no claims about newer bikes!
Ha! Mine's a 2016, too, so no worries there.
twag4 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page