GSXS 1000 Forum banner

MRA Windshield- Race or Touring?

15K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  GSXS-NH 
#1 ·
I'm considering buying 1 of the MRA windshields for my 2018 naked but am not sure if I should get the Race or the Touring. Has anyone gotten 1 and then ordered the other? I'm 5'7" btw.

Pic of both attached. Race at the top.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Tony … assuming that it's the same mounting bracket and therefore an easy swap, would you mind trying the race in comparison at highway speeds??

#4 ·
I was just looking at that pic I posted and the touring has less black area at the bottom if I wanted to tuck behind it and be able to see through it. Prefer that.

#8 ·
I have the light smoke touring. I'm 5'5" and it takes all the wind blast off my chest at freeway speeds. I'm sure it increases noise but I wear ear plugs. Helmet doesn't buffet.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go for the race because I think it looks better and I'm tempted to cut mine down. Otherwise, no complaints and I do like the cockpit view which looks a bit like a proper sportbike.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I just ended up ordering the Race version … shows as a special order item on twistedthrottle.ca so it could be a bit of a wait.
@tonyv2 - no need to compare for me any longer although I think for future reference on the forums it'd be good to know how they compare from someone with both models.

#18 ·
I have the light smoke touring. I'm 5'5" and it takes all the wind blast off my chest at freeway speeds. I'm sure it increases noise but I wear ear plugs. Helmet doesn't buffet.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go for the race because I think it looks better and I'm tempted to cut mine down. Otherwise, no complaints and I do like the cockpit view which looks a bit like a proper sportbike.

Why oh why do people ruin the looks of the gsxs with a great big hideous screen!!!....its a supernaked if you cant put up with the windblast dont buy one the clue is in the name..NAKED..i have a tiny tiny screen which does nothing in terms on deflecting any wind i got it put on because it enhances the look of the bike that is the only reason, if you want it to deflect wind...simple buy a big pan european, or even the gsxsF ....and gsxs dave i dont know WHAT that thing is u got on the front of your gsxs!!!...looks like a riot shield!....suzuki spent probably 100s of thousands developing this bike only for someone to whack a ****ty aftermarket screen on it because its a bit blowy on the motorway!...yes its windy its a naked!...so what live with it...deal with it....or sell it and stop moaning and buy a faired bike.....rant over!.

#21 ·
^ Exactly! I'm sure we all change SOMETHING we don't like instead of buying a whole different bike in lieu of the change.

@gsxsdave - I like that side tank knee pad. Where'd you get it? Or maybe I should just buy a whole new bike that has better knee ergonomics lol.

#22 ·
The one on the gas tank is a generic one off ebay. I think it was like $12 but I got mine for free when I complained about the grey GSXS logo which was not in the stock photo. It's sort of like Stompgrip with aggressive dimpling.

The one on the side panels were off Amazon for $45. Beretta is the brand. Sort of like Techspec.

#25 ·
lot of tough talk lol usually tough talk guys ride side roads ..do a few twistys and call it a week....me being a ***** with a MRA always hit the highways hard ,,take a quick 150 to 300 mile ride ..back in 2 to 5 hours and dont look like a dope at high speeds bent over for long fast distance.....enjoy the bike and ride so much better....life beats you down enough .....real men run race screens

#28 ·
So I got the MRA Race windscreen after 3 weeks and a day or 2 and went for a long ride today after installation last night.

It was a cool day at about 12-13C (55F) and I didn't feel the cold wind on my chest nearly as much so that was the positive. The negative, and I kind of expected this, was more wind noise & buffeting at the helmet area. So trading one benefit/flaw for another. I'll leave it on for the rest of the season as it does deflect wind from the body but will experiment in the warmer weather next season again with it off.

Some pics attached.

Attachments

#29 ·
So I got the MRA Race windscreen ... So trading one benefit/flaw for another. I'll leave it on for the rest of the season as it does deflect wind from the body but will experiment in the warmer weather next season again with it off.

Some pics attached.
That's frustrating. But it looks great Lou.

Glad to hear you got out today... not sure how many days we have left here in the GTA. ;)

#31 ·
So in the interests of helping out other members who may be considering the MRA Race windshield, this morning was my first ride into work on the highway and it helps immensely when at highway speeds. I'm going to conservatively say that you can ride at 30 km/h (~20 mph) higher than without the screen at the same comfort level … little to no wind blast on the chest and makes for a much more comfortable ride at those speeds.

#32 ·
I also have the mra race and recently put it back on since the weather is cooling. Going from naked to mra the helmet noise increases, wind hits my shoulders in normal riding position which can feel a little weird. But big benefit is being able to lay on the tank and avoid most wind and it keeps the road spray away from my body in the wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.