2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Spirit's Build Thread

When I first joined the forum I wanted to start a build thread to log my changes with pictures and opinions, but the mods came a little faster than expected and I spent my time riding instead of logging (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So, I'll start one now with more random information instead of it being detailed and in-line like I had imagined.

Mods so far:
- CRG Arrow Bar End Mirror
- Pretty standard stuff. I wasn't a fan of the mickey mouse mirrors and had a bar end on my last bike, so this works well.

- Powerbronze Windscreen
- This is a nice piece, but it did NOT have the effect that I wanted. I was hoping to get some of the wind over my helmet but all it did was add turbulence to the lid. The wind noise without ear plugs is bad, even on a Shoei. I'm leaving it though, because the bigger windscreens don't turn me on. I'll just make sure I have spare ear plugs.

- Pazzo Short Levers
- These are very nice. In hindsight I probably should have went with some a little cheaper, but these are the first levers I've bought and I guess I didn't understand what exactly it was. I just didn't want something cheap. There is a lot of middle ground between chinese e-bay levers and these though. The short length seems to bother some people, but I like them. I can't get my pinky on but even in gauntlet gloves I can get a solid 3 fingers and I like the feel.

- Bridgestone S22 Tires
- I haven't really had a chance to test these out yet, but I went ahead and changed the tires due to a puncture on the stock rear. I'll add more when I get some miles on them.

- Radar detector and Visual Alert
- I'll get some pictures of this up later. I struggled for a while to find the right setup for my detector. I used ear buds for a long time because it was the most reliable method. Just recently I found the Marc Parnes Visual Alert and decided to try it. It's working great so far but I had to get creative on the mounting so I could see it well. The detector is wired straight to the battery. Some day I might wire it into the headlights or other circuit that comes on when the bike is running, but for now I just unplug it when I'm stopped.

And that's about it, until this week. The bike is currently in way too many pieces while I install the below. If you can think of something else I should do while it's apart, let me know!

- Oli's cat delete mid pipe (keeping stock muffler for stealth)
- PAIR block off plates
- BMC air filter
- Dano's ECU flash
- Replacing coolant with Engine Ice (because I couldn't figure out how to get the headers off without draining the radiator)
- Honda HP4 10W-40 oil change
post #2 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Nice.

I found the same effect with my MRA Race screen re more wind noise. Get a drive-off sound clip posted on the other thread,

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

Blue rim tape / Fender eliminator / Pazzo levers / MRA Race Windscreen

2019 Triumph Speed Twin (for sale soon ...)
post #3 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nice stuff..

Shoei GT-Air especially is the worst out there in terms of wind noise. Had a Caberg modular one before this and assumed it cant get worse when I bought Shoei, but I was so wrong...

post #4 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Could I suggest that the soon to come flood of comments re "helmet and noise", please post to the expansive Thread on that subject and leave the OP to flood this one with his reflections about his bike build ?

Rob.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Could I suggest that the soon to come flood of comments re "helmet and noise", please post to the expansive Thread on that subject and leave the OP to flood this one with his reflections about his bike build ?

Rob.
You should have provided a link to the thread, otherwise this happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Nice stuff..
Shoei GT-Air especially is the worst out there in terms of wind noise. Had a Caberg modular one before this and assumed it cant get worse when I bought Shoei, but I was so wrong...
Strange... I'm sure it's related to the bike, screen, person, but my GT-Air is the quietest helmet I've owned and I currently own 3 Shoei's - RF-900, RF-1100, RF-1200, a Lazer Mustang, an Icon Airframe carbon Pro, (and previously owned a bunch of others).
post #6 of 11 Old 10-15-2019, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Spirit750, I'm assuming you have a 750? The 1000F has a spare "switched" connector under the tank that I used for a Powerlet plug socket which I installed into the fairing and I plug my detector into that. Maybe the 750 has one as well?

The visual alert sounds like it would be handy, but I use several different helmets and wouldn't want to switch back and forth. My best solution was to install the detector as close to my line of sight as possible.

Keep up the good work, sounds like you've done your homework.

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #7 of 11 Old 10-16-2019, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
You should have provided a link to the thread, otherwise this happens....
I am sure that a person with desire to post here doesn't need to be spoon fed a link by me.
There's a perfectly good search engine on the page top right for those that need a help up. Just use it.

Rob.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-16-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
You should have provided a link to the thread, otherwise this happens...

Strange... I'm sure it's related to the bike, screen, person, but my GT-Air is the quietest helmet I've owned and I currently own 3 Shoei's - RF-900, RF-1100, RF-1200, a Lazer Mustang, an Icon Airframe carbon Pro, (and previously owned a bunch of others).
The GT-AIR II seems like it would normally be a good helmet. If I sit up straight (6' tall) I can get above that buffer zone and the helmet sounds great. It's just that the windscreen is pushing it right to the middle/bottom of the helmet. Overall it's not bad. I should be wearing ear plugs anyways. The SRL 2 is GREAT also. The first communicator I've had so I don't have any comparisons but I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagenn View Post
Spirit750, I'm assuming you have a 750? The 1000F has a spare "switched" connector under the tank that I used for a Powerlet plug socket which I installed into the fairing and I plug my detector into that. Maybe the 750 has one as well?

The visual alert sounds like it would be handy, but I use several different helmets and wouldn't want to switch back and forth. My best solution was to install the detector as close to my line of sight as possible.

Keep up the good work, sounds like you've done your homework.
Nope, I have the 1000F. I noticed a white plug up around the ignition switch that seemed like it didn't have a purpose. Is that what you're talking about? Any pictures of that set up? Sounds like it would work.

The visual alert is actually mounted to the windshield. I had one of the helmet mounts a while back and wasn't a fan either. As soon as I get this thing back together I'll get a picture.

Got the oil changed and the headers back on last night. Removed the PAIR and installed block off plates. Trying to decide today if I want to remove the evaporator canister also while I'm there.

I wasn't aware, but apparently Oli's mid-pipe is designed to be cut to length? The stock slip-on isn't coming close to mounting up. There is a lot at the end of the pipe that could be cut off so I'm assuming it's intentional.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Here's the setup. I have a picture of the powerlet plug on a separate thread. Do a search for Powerlet if you want to see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190906_194739_1571226735640.jpg (111.9 KB, 23 views)

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000

Last edited by Reagenn; 10-16-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, got the ECU back and put everything back together after a week of tinkering. I did end up removing the canister which wasn't that bad. Overall putting the fairings back on wasn't terrible. After removing them once I'm a lot more confident about it going forward. Just had to get that first time out of the way.

I did have a pretty big screw up that I got VERY lucky with. Apparently I forgot to tighten the hose clamp on the right side of the radiator after replacing the coolant. I took the bike out with the fairings still off for a quick ride around town just to check it out. Had a couple of quick first gear pulls to heat it up. No issues until I pulled back into the driveway and got off the bike with it still running. That was when the hose popped off and dumped all the coolant in my driveway. If it had happened at any other time it could have been a real bad deal. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

The ECU flash is amazing. Really opened the bike up. Everything I could say about it is just an echo from all the other reports. It fixed every fueling and throttle issue I had, and there are no downsides. If you're thinking about it, just do it.

The exhaust mod is also perfect. I know this is useless without videos, but I'll get them soon enough. I ended up leaving the remainder of the catalyst that wasn't cut out with the muffler and I'm glad I did. With the stock slip on it has a nice deep growl at idle and when opened up you know it's there without it being annoying and obnoxious. My friend that spent maybe 100 total miles behind me yesterday said it was perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

I got to test it all out yesterday with my first big group ride. It started out as just a small open invite on Facebook that turned into a 30 bike ride. Big variety of bikes but everyone kept a good pace and we learned some nice new roads with them. The GSX-S is all the way down on the end.

mike d and twag4 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page