slipper conversion, cams - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
slipper conversion, cams

been reading up alot on these bikes and i see the 2016 gsxs1000f uses the GSXR1000 engine, detuned with different cam profile, ports etc and uses the gearbox from the current style GSXR as well. i read up you would need to use an 09- slipper clutch to work.

i would like a slipper clutch (yes i know all you people say just learn to drive it) yes i know, but if i could get some actual answers regarding that would be great as i want to take up track lapping days and 1/4 mile alot. will an 09- slipper clutch from the GSXR work in our bikes? any other mods required to make it work?

if this bike uses same block, cold we just swap on the entire head and cams from the 05GSXR on to our engines? or even the whole long block its self? would obviously need tuning to accept the new parameters of the GIXXER engine.
i would like to get more top end power and more revs (my personal liking, its just what i want)

and no lol i cant just get a GSXR1000 to have all the things i would like out of such a beast, my province has pretty much black listed all supersport bikes but i can get insurance on the GSXS
fieromx3 is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 10-20-2019, 01:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Cainus83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toowoomba, QLD, AU
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieromx3 View Post
been reading up alot on these bikes and i see the 2016 gsxs1000f uses the GSXR1000 engine, detuned with different cam profile, ports etc and uses the gearbox from the current style GSXR as well. i read up you would need to use an 09- slipper clutch to work.

i would like a slipper clutch (yes i know all you people say just learn to drive it) yes i know, but if i could get some actual answers regarding that would be great as i want to take up track lapping days and 1/4 mile alot. will an 09- slipper clutch from the GSXR work in our bikes? any other mods required to make it work?

if this bike uses same block, cold we just swap on the entire head and cams from the 05GSXR on to our engines? or even the whole long block its self? would obviously need tuning to accept the new parameters of the GIXXER engine.
i would like to get more top end power and more revs (my personal liking, its just what i want)

and no lol i cant just get a GSXR1000 to have all the things i would like out of such a beast, my province has pretty much black listed all supersport bikes but i can get insurance on the GSXS
Sell your 2016 and purchase a later model. My 2018 has a slipper clutch as standard. It's amazing.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
Cainus83 is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-20-2019, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
i wish but not an option for me right now. and if i can swap in a slipper clutch it would cost WAY less than forking the coin for a new gsxs. the bike i just got has only 3400 miles on it so it is pretty much new lol
fieromx3 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-20-2019, 06:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
I don't race my bike, but I watched Brocks series on getting his 2018 GSXR1000 ready for the drag strip. He stated the last thing you want on a drag bike is a slipper clutch because you cannot modulate (slip) it on launch.
Supercharger is online now  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-20-2019, 07:53 PM
Member
 
hugojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Mulberry, Florida
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't think you are going to get any answers because, frankly, what you are proposing is a bit farfetched for most owners, so nobody has tried any of that, nor there is any interest, that I know of. For most owners it would be simpler buying a GSX-R than attempting to make a GSX-S into one.

....am not interested in racing, nor I approve of, and am not interested in more power from the GSX-S as it has more power than I can handle, as is. But all that said, was interested in what it would take to convert a '16 to the '18 slipper clutch.

I used to have a '16 Yamaha FZ-09 and they actually sell a conversion kit (the newer parts) to convert to latest model's slipper clutch, which I performed, and Yes, the actuation was considerably smoother..thus I went into the microfiche parts for the GSX-S, and identified the different parts between the '16 and '18 clutches, and came up with about $400.00 USD in parts. It would probably work just replacing those parts, but no one has done it.

Another alternative is a whole aftermarket slipper clutch sold for the 2005 -08 K5 old GSX-R engine, which is what the GSX-S has got. This might work too, but again, no one has done it....this would be about $800 USD..
hugojose is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-20-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugojose View Post
I don't think you are going to get any answers because, frankly, what you are proposing is a bit farfetched for most owners, so nobody has tried any of that, nor there is any interest, that I know of. For most owners it would be simpler buying a GSX-R than attempting to make a GSX-S into one.

....am not interested in racing, nor I approve of, and am not interested in more power from the GSX-S as it has more power than I can handle, as is. But all that said, was interested in what it would take to convert a '16 to the '18 slipper clutch.

I used to have a '16 Yamaha FZ-09 and they actually sell a conversion kit (the newer parts) to convert to latest model's slipper clutch, which I performed, and Yes, the actuation was considerably smoother..thus I went into the microfiche parts for the GSX-S, and identified the different parts between the '16 and '18 clutches, and came up with about $400.00 USD in parts. It would probably work just replacing those parts, but no one has done it.

Another alternative is a whole aftermarket slipper clutch sold for the 2005 -08 K5 old GSX-R engine, which is what the GSX-S has got. This might work too, but again, no one has done it....this would be about $800 USD..
i would be willing to spend the coin to try it. as i have mentioned i cant get any R series bikes here, no supersports due to insurance companies black listing them. so my best bet is trying to convert the S to an R.

the thing is, are engine is a k5 gsxr engine, but i have read the transmission is of the newer gen gsxr. so i am curious if they made a whole new spec clutch that only works with their frankenstein combo or just used the dimensions of the k5 or the new gen gsxr and just made it a 'semi slipper' clutch
fieromx3 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 AM
Member
 
hugojose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Mulberry, Florida
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
To me the safest bet, and least expensive, would be simply changing the parts that are different from the '16 to '18 or newer, staying with all Suzuki parts, and for this, you only need the parts diagrams and lists, from the Motorcycle parts suppliers. I printed them out, both diagrams and lists, for both models, highlighted the differences on diagrams and confirmed part numbers were different.

.....here is a link for the other alternative, and you may be able to talk to them see if they offer any hint; there is a 'contact us' link somewhere.

\https://www.yoyodyneti.com/product-p/t15203.htm
broncsrule21 likes this.

Last edited by hugojose; 10-21-2019 at 05:33 AM.
hugojose is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 AM
lud
Member
 
lud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Midlands U.K
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i have a 15 model flashed n decatted , I track it regularly and ride like a **** on the rd , tbh I havent noticed lack of slipper clutch .
lud is online now  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
temporarykiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieromx3 View Post
been reading up alot on these bikes and i see the 2016 gsxs1000f uses the GSXR1000 engine, detuned with different cam profile, ports etc and uses the gearbox from the current style GSXR as well. i read up you would need to use an 09- slipper clutch to work.

i would like a slipper clutch (yes i know all you people say just learn to drive it) yes i know, but if i could get some actual answers regarding that would be great as i want to take up track lapping days and 1/4 mile alot. will an 09- slipper clutch from the GSXR work in our bikes? any other mods required to make it work?

if this bike uses same block, cold we just swap on the entire head and cams from the 05GSXR on to our engines? or even the whole long block its self? would obviously need tuning to accept the new parameters of the GIXXER engine.
i would like to get more top end power and more revs (my personal liking, its just what i want)

and no lol i cant just get a GSXR1000 to have all the things i would like out of such a beast, my province has pretty much black listed all supersport bikes but i can get insurance on the GSXS
yes all k series cams fit, dialing in is required via adj spkts, ive tried k5 intake with stock ex, k5 intake with stock inlet as exhaust, race grind speedway cams, about to try k7 cams in k7 cyl head- which is our cyl head but with titanium valves, the stock intake cam are less lift/ duration than k5, but ex cam has more duration and lift than k5, but gsx-s had radically different timings , comp ratio is slightly higher than gsx 12.2:1 vs 12.5:1, any other questions, pm me
temporarykiwi is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-24-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporarykiwi View Post
yes all k series cams fit, dialing in is required via adj spkts, ive tried k5 intake with stock ex, k5 intake with stock inlet as exhaust, race grind speedway cams, about to try k7 cams in k7 cyl head- which is our cyl head but with titanium valves, the stock intake cam are less lift/ duration than k5, but ex cam has more duration and lift than k5, but gsx-s had radically different timings , comp ratio is slightly higher than gsx 12.2:1 vs 12.5:1, any other questions, pm me


pm sent to you sir
fieromx3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome