DIY Fender Eliminator (EASY) & Minimalist rear turn signals - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By YYCGSXR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 10-30-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb DIY Fender Eliminator (EASY) & Minimalist rear turn signals

Because i'm a cheap prick and don't like waiting for backordered, overpriced parts that end up leaving you disappointed, I decided to "fab" my own rear fender eliminator.

owning all GSXRs i never had to deal with the ugly signal lights sticking out of the back of the tail, so I got creative as i still wanted that flush look.

So after a couple weeks of ownership and being disappointed every time i saw the rear of my bike, I took action, using the tools and parts I had available in my garage.

DIY fender eliminator

parts purchased - two marker lights and a pair of led licence plate bolts

STEPS:
- remove both seats
- disconnect licence and signal light wires and loosen zip ties on right side of tail
- disconnect entire rear fender assembly from tail of bike being held on by the 4 10MM bolts under passenger seat.
- remove signal light assemblies from metal bracket.
- remove metal braket that holds licence plate to plastic fender.
- cut off the metal mounts on the bracket enough to hide the remaining bracket behind plate
- while looking at bracket as if you were behind the bike, turn the bracket 180 degrees clockwise.
- attach bracket directly to the tail of the bike using the mounting holes from the old fender (they line right up)
- wire up illuminated licence plate light bolts to oem harness plug and route as desired.
- install integrated tail light OR do what i did and mount signal lights in the plastic of the tail (below)

I re-used the plastic wiring loom from the old signal lights and built a "T" section for the licence plate light wiring. I cut a small section that fit between the lights and made a hole in the center. then ran another section of loom from that piece and into the factory wiring hole in the tail. Electrical taped the two together. No wires showing.

There will be a gap where the original fender mounted to the tail section with a small hole in the plastic. As i did not want anything getting in there, i took a zip disc to the plastic mounting piece on the old fender, cut it down to just a pad, sanded it, and installed it as a "spacer" between the tail and the licence bracket. It closed up the hole space and popped the plate out a bit more. I would strongly recommend doing this.

to install the signal lights i had, I drilled through the plastic of the tail to just less than the diameter of the lights i had, then press fit them into place. no mounts or anything, they are still in there solid. Take your time, sizing up and checking each time you ream a bit of plastic out. Its easier to remove plastic than it is to re-install it.

After all was said and done my only expense was one dremel zip disc and two lights. The PN for the lights are 33285Y and here is the description.
33 SERIES, LED, CLEAR/YELLOW ROUND, 1 DIODE, MARKER CLEARANCE LIGHT, PC, HARDWIRED, .180 BULLET TERMINAL, 12V

They are basically tractor unit marker lights. Super bright and simple to wire up.

Total cost for my signal light and fender eliminator was around $100 CAD. The only costs were the signal lights and the licence plate lights. Both of which were in town and picked up same day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 73364289_981450285534164_783371536227631104_n.jpg (168.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 74602129_2480176738741002_5884201733499912192_n.jpg (59.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 73050796_2573364432777343_3704665217016266752_n.jpg (88.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 74408611_449080769058237_8794684659481968640_n.jpg (199.6 KB, 27 views)
broncsrule21, roy826 and gsxsdave like this.

Bloc Rednequois

Last edited by YYCGSXR; 10-30-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page